El Cheapo LED Top Case Brake Light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMaineiac

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have had the Shad top case for a couple of years now and I really like it. It is solidly built, watertight, and allows me to commute to work and not worry about my laptop getting rained on. The Shad SH46 has a spot for a brake light kit that I didn’t purchase with the case. Looking back, maybe I should have at the time, but I wasn’t sure it would be worth the expense. Now the light kit is about $50, and other LED brake lights I have seen on line cost upwards of $150. I have been hankerin’ to make use of that brake light slot, but I didn’t like the idea of paying big money to do it.

Trolling around eBay, I found this el-cheapo 9 LED strip. I bid on it and won it for $0.01! (plus $2.95 S&H). At less than $3, why not give it a try?

So, this weekend, I crafted a ‘holder’ for the light strip out of some semi-rigid packing foam, ran the wires back to a SAE trailer disconnect (another $3), and wired it to the brake light circuit.

The results are pretty decent! For $6, it is probably the least expensive lighting farkle I could have managed. If the ‘made in china’ LED strip craps out, I’ll replace it with something a little better. The hard part of running the wiring has been done. Here are the results:

This is this light strip I purchased. The LED's are fully encased in a pliable clear plastic. I believe this is waterproof and could prolly be used elsewhere on the motorcycle (around the license plate perhaps):

LED_strip.jpg

Here are the finished results. I am sure a brighter / better alternative could be had using Hyperlites or other brands, but for $6, I couldn't resist giving this a try. Visibility is very good and plenty bright enough to be seen day or night. We'll see how long it lasts... <_<

IMG00500.jpg

I've considered the same thing for my Givi e52 case... your mod looks good, simple and inexpensive... three of my favourite words when it comes to farkles. Good show!

Griff

I've considered the same thing for my Givi e52 case... your mod looks good, simple and inexpensive... three of my favourite words when it comes to farkles. Good show!

Griff
Give it a try CH! I prolly have about 1/2 hr of labor tied up in it, and it came out pretty slick. Worst case - if it doesn't work, you are only out $6 or so.

BTW - the light strip I ordered on eBay came direct from China, so delivery was a little longer than I had hoped (7 days I think), but not bad considering where it came from.

Happy farkling! :yahoo: