Michelin PR 3's out any day now

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernCruizer

Is it Beer:30 yet?
Reaction score
PR3.jpg

Who amongst us will be the 1st to try the latest greatest from Michelin? Inquiring minds want to know! If they are better than the PR2s, then we have a winner!

Interesting tread patterns.

Nothing on their US website or Europe about these tires. Only thing could find is some one's blog about "going to try them when they become available."

A guy that works for a tire supplier on another forum gave me the info. PR3s are to be priced about 5% higher than the PR2s. Michelin is supposed to start shipping anytime now.

I took a quick peek on Competition Accessories website <clicky> and found this:

The New 2011 Michelin Pilot Road 3 Tires. You always had to make a choice. The grip of a softer tire - or the durability of a harder tire? But thanks to Michelin 2CT dual-compound technology, MICHELIN Pilot Road 3 tires will offer both grip and further extended durability in one tire. By integrating a soft rubber compound on the tread shoulders with a wear-resistant compound down the middle, Michelin gives you the best of both worlds. The Pilot Road 3 tire we be like is like two tires in one. And focused on high mileage.

Expect the new Pilot Road 3 Tire to be the Best combination of wet grip and tread life of any comparable tire. It will inspire rider confidence in challenging conditions, plus get even more mileage. The Pilot Road 3 Tire will surely features 12 sizes covering 94% of all sport touring radial fitments. This Tire will be a vast improvement on other dual-compound tires in the sport touring tire segment. Innovative front and rear tread designs. The Pilot Road 3 2CT tire will surely be an improvement on the Pilot Road and 2CT. They were the Winner of the 2009 Motorrad and Moto Revue sport touring tire tests. The 180/55 ZR 17 rear will probably be offered also in a 'B' version, specifically designed for loaded sport touring or riding two-up.

So...how come they don't post up what has been changed over the previous tire like the PR2?? :(
Or for that matter the PR2 B ? Tread design is obvious but composition and construction would be nice to know also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would happily be the guinea pig...I just need someone to sponsor the purchase of the tires for me :p

PR3.jpg

Who amongst us will be the 1st to try the latest greatest from Michelin? Inquiring minds want to know! If they are better than the PR2s, then we have a winner!

Its got all those dots on em, they must be better, as you can entertain yourself while your sitting at a stop.... Play a game of Dot to Dot..?

I still can't wear out the dam set of PR2's that I put on last spring. I think patriot and I are going for record mileage on PR2's. We both live in the flatlands so that helps.

This Will definitely put a dent in the CT conversions. :lol:

Let me say this about that.

I hope Michelin learned more than Dunlop did on their dual compound tires. Yeah, I know they use the soft stuff on the edge and hard stuff in the middle, they say that each year they come out with a new dual compound tawr.

Dunlop had the D205 (dual compound) that I loved. They then made it "mo betta" and came out with the D207, then D208 (same tire), now the RoadSmart. The D207 and D208's totally stunk IMO. The RS were not a lot better (the fronts totally sucked), although the rear was pretty good.

So let’s see how the French do on this one. ;)

Sorry if this is a silly question but how much mileage can you get out of the PR2's on moderate use? Just an average from those who have them on. Just wondering why you stock up.

Sorry if this is a silly question but how much mileage can you get out of the PR2's on moderate use? Just an average from those who have them on.
...you're going to get answers all over the map, but each of my last three sets have run over 11,000 miles! One persons moderate is another persons aggressive. ;)

Just wondering why you stock up.
Some nut jobs fortunate ones here will ride 20 - 30,000 miles a season. :lol: ;) Stock up when the price is right!

--G