Michelin PR 3's out any day now

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michelin seems to get it right more often than not. I'm still a few thousand miles away from needing new...we'll see what feedback the collective has. Hopefully it will be as positive as the PR2's!

--G

Here we go again. As soon as I find a high mileage tire I like the manufacturer decides to 'improve' it. :glare:
EXACTLY! :glare:

What ever happened to leaving well enough alone???

Is Jeff Ashe behind all this??? :lol:
I frequently leave Well Enough alone. Problem is she keeps calling me back! :)

It's going to be at least a month or so before I'm in any position to test new tires. I wouldn't mind spooning on one test set.

I talked to the Canadian Michelin rep at the Toronto Bike Show last week and Michelin have not yet set the prices for the PR3. Given the strength of the Loonie and the collapse of the Euro let us hope that the price is reasonable but I'm not holding my breath of that score.

Well .... dang nabbit.. first tire puncture in almost 140k+ of riding tonight on the way home :(

Fortunately - rear tire (with only 5k on it), hear the noise, check saw the huge chunk of metal, tire holding air, rode to side of road with bike leaning to angle to try and not puncture, was still holding air, rode a little further to get to a better place, then notice light squiminess from rear... metal chunk gone, 0 air pressure... time for a tow to m/c shop .. shoot...

Anyway

North County House of Motorcycle just got the PR3 in yesterday (and won't get more PR2 for a few days, yes they will be discounted).

My front was close to needing replacemnt as well anyway (2nd front tire on bike in 30k miles). So looks like I'll be getting at least a front PR3s tomorrow. Whether a full set depends..

I have that 2007 rear wheel and tire (basically new PR2). Shop is going to see if they can match it up on the 2008 (or slight parts swap). So we'll see what happens in terms of the rear.

Hmmm... These sound interesting. Be a while before I need a new set though. The PR2s I'm running now still have a lot of miles left.

Hey Yamafitter, sounds like that Michelin rep isn't in the loop on current prices if they are already for sale at a few places.

GP

Okay, I'll go against the grain here. I put a set of PR2s on my Norge and did not like them. The handling was okay but the ride was harsh. Changed them out after 4k miles for a set of Pirelli Angels. The Angels definitely ride nicer and handle slightly better IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I'll go against the grain here. I put a set of PR2s on my Norge and did not like them. The handling was okay but the ride was harsh. Changed them out after 4k miles for a set of Pirelli Angels. The Angels definitely ride nicer and handle slightly better IMHO.
Not really against the grain. Angels are nice sticky tires and a lot of fun to ride on, but they wear out much faster than PR2s. PR2s work well on the FJR, not as sticky as Angels but sticky enough for most riding situations, and they last a lot more miles. For me, at least twice as many miles. I have used both and have a new set of each in the garage waiting for the snow to melt.

Picked up a set of PR3's today at my local Yammy dealer.

Front $122.99

Rear $151.49

Total $274.48 before tax

He always has great prices on tires. I won't get them on for about a week but will give a ride report when I do.

Dave

Well, I decided to try the new Battlax BT-023 tires...they came in today. Anxious to hear a ride report on the PR 3s, but it will be a few months before I'll have a chance to try them myself. I'll report back later on the BT-023s.

I'm on my third set of PR2's 17k+ on the first two 12k+ on this set and counting. I switched from PR's as they handled better than Azaro's and BT010's. I figured the PR2's would be better and switched and never looked back. I will try PR3's just because Michelin seems to get it right and making it better.
Bike Bandit and SW Moto apparently have them.

Ed

Got my PR3's installed yesterday, rode the bike today.

This is my first tire change from the stock Metzlers and man what a difference. Of course it could be that I just wore out the Metzlers and was used to the handling they didn't have, but everthing seems smoother and turning seems easier. I didn't take the time to compare them but I think the PR3's must have a different profile as there is less effort required to keep the bike in a turn. So far, I like them.

Wear report, in a few thousand miles...

Well .... dang nabbit.. first tire puncture in almost 140k+ of riding tonight on the way home :(

Fortunately - rear tire (with only 5k on it), hear the noise, check saw the huge chunk of metal, tire holding air, rode to side of road with bike leaning to angle to try and not puncture, was still holding air, rode a little further to get to a better place, then notice light squiminess from rear... metal chunk gone, 0 air pressure... time for a tow to m/c shop .. shoot...

Anyway

North County House of Motorcycle just got the PR3 in yesterday (and won't get more PR2 for a few days, yes they will be discounted).

My front was close to needing replacemnt as well anyway (2nd front tire on bike in 30k miles). So looks like I'll be getting at least a front PR3s tomorrow. Whether a full set depends..

I have that 2007 rear wheel and tire (basically new PR2). Shop is going to see if they can match it up on the 2008 (or slight parts swap). So we'll see what happens in terms of the rear.
It's fine to (properly) plug a tire

Well, I decided to try the new Battlax BT-023 tires...they came in today. Anxious to hear a ride report on the PR 3s, but it will be a few months before I'll have a chance to try them myself. I'll report back later on the BT-023s.

Well, I've got about 580 miles now on the BT-023s. Wish I would have ordered the PR2s or new PR3s now. The BTs ride is harsher then the Michelins. Turn in is good, and grip seems to be about the same, but the ride is nowhere as smooth as the PR2s. I've tried varying the air pressure from 36-42 front and rear, and the ride is still not as smooth as the PR2s. On the plus side, in a few months I'll be rid of them and back to Michelins :)

I've got 1k miles on the PR3's I put on a few weeks ago. I love the grip. Haven't had the opportunity to try them in the wet. Front shows hardly any wear even after a few trips up and down Green Pond Rd. where the asphalt is like 100 grit sandpaper.

It's fine to (properly) plug a tire
Argh...again...

1 month later and a second puncture :angry2: Last time was a decent size spike (maybe 1/2" at widest). This morning I found another nail which looked like a little roofing or finishing nail. Last time, needed new front tire and other work, so seemed like a decent idea to simply replace the rear. This time - seriously considering patching.. but will sit on this until this weekend, hate traffic for the rest of the week, and see what I decide

So far - thre new front PR3 has held up well, but I also had front bearing re-packed/re-greased at same time so front end feels different anyway. So far, no complaints after 1 month, approx 1k miles - but all commuting. those cross groves sure do look odd. And I they are bound to reduce longevity of the tire (for a given tire compound, the less tread, the less heat, the longer lasting it will be). Unfortunately, it will be another 12-18 months before I find out the life of this tire vs the PR2

I haven't heard that the PR2 are being dropped yet but Competition accessories said they couldn't get me a regular Pilot Road rear tire for my FZ1. They said the regular Pilot Road was being discontinued and suggested I put on a PR2. I hope it doesn't cause problems mixing with my Pilot Road front. The PR2 looks to have a much more triangular tread profile.