I have a leaker, drive shaft, that is ....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niehart

Pie Smuggler
Reaction score
Bought a 2010 FJR1300A on 5/25/2011 with Yamaha's extended service contract.

The engine oil and shaft drive lube changed was at 15,000 miles. Used Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 and Mama Yamaha Shaft Drive Oil, always do.

At about 16,000 miles the shaft drive started to drip. :angry: Now have 18,101 miles and it still dripping at the same rate. The shaft leaks so little that I have not had to add oil.

Sure makes that real shaft and rim look like shit if any dust or dirt is involved.

Talked with my local dealer and he said they have already done a few so they know what they are doing. Told the dealer that I'm not willing let it sit in the shop this summer so I will see them in the slow winter months when they are looking for something to do.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :(

Tsk tsk pieman. A leaky shaft, can be caused by old age, but we know thats not the case here. No, it's caused by sleeping with the dirties.

... it's always the quiet ones.. :D

(A new personal best for me, off the rails on the first reply!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Frickin old dude. You should know that you need to provide a bit more information than that. Where the freak is it leaking from? Swingarm weephole? Bottom of the 'pumpkin'?

Your driveshaft is a solid piece of metal. It can't leak. As for your final drive, there are a lot of seals that can go bad. Most will just 'weep' though yours seems to be past that.

Got any photos?

Where's George? I need to have him slap you upside the head.

Frickin old dude. You should know that you need to provide a bit more information than that. Where the freak is it leaking from? Swingarm weephole? Bottom of the 'pumpkin'?

Your driveshaft is a solid piece of metal. It can't leak. As for your final drive, there are a lot of seals that can go bad. Most will just 'weep' though yours seems to be past that.

Got any photos?

Where's George? I need to have him slap you upside the head.
I'll run him hard on the way to NAFO and the George can do his work when I get his old butt there! :p

I had that happen to me once after a 4 day Shore leave in the Philippines. The doctor gave me something that cleared it right up! :)
majicmaker, I'm fairly certain Niehart got his "leak" from George! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

GeorgeDress.jpg

At the rate you describe your leaking, I don't see anything wrong with waiting till the fall, as long as oil isn't getting on the brakes or any of the rubber bits. OTOH, why don't you and your shop arrange a specific appointment and fix it over a period of a couple of days? They can order the parts in advance. That usually works for me, WBill

I had that happen to me once after a 4 day Shore leave in the Philippines. The doctor gave me something that cleared it right up! :)
majicmaker, I'm fairly certain Niehart got his "leak" from George! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

GeorgeDress.jpg
LMAO
And now, Down the home streach it is TWIN PEAKS IN for the KILL.
Pink's definitely not my color...paybacks are a bitch you two three. :p Remember when you mess with the bull, sometimes you get the horns! ;)

Blondie -- you owe me BIG now...the bill just doubled!! :lol:

--G

Last edited by a moderator:

GeorgeDress.jpg
LMAO
And now, Down the home streach it is TWIN PEAKS IN for the KILL.
Pink's definitely not my color...paybacks are a bitch you two three. :p Remember when you mess with the bull, sometimes you get the horns! ;)

Blondie -- you owe me BIG now...the bill just doubled!! :lol:

--G
Damn.....two big jugs now?????

(of spiced rum)

:p