Anyone wanna play Name That Wire! (2007A, right of dash)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGirl

Reaction score
ON THE ROAD ...(reside in AZ-85338, CA-96150,
What is this connector for? (Bike is 2007A, mystery item is located on right side of dash)

FJR-mysteryConn.jpg

Sources say it's *not* for heated grips nor sensor related to thermometer (temp reading on dash)

AGirl

not exactly sure, but i believe that's the ambient air temperature sensor.
No... that's what the 2nd "not" is I poorly described above.

Next contestant......

You have bad sources,,,,,it's for the temperature sensor. :rolleyes:
Um, ah, well.. the source is Yamaha... Nick at D&H Cycle spoke w/ Yamaha directly about this little mystery... confirmed *NOT* the temperature sensor.

not exactly sure, but i believe that's the ambient air temperature sensor.
No... that's what the 2nd "not" is I poorly described above.

Next contestant......

You have bad sources,,,,,it's for the temperature sensor. :rolleyes:
Um, ah, well.. the source is Yamaha... Nick at D&H Cycle spoke w/ Yamaha directly about this little mystery... confirmed *NOT* the temperature sensor.
well I guess Nick talked to the wrong experts..the forum knows all. :D

It's called the 'thermistor assy' in the Yamaha on-line parts fiche.

130146762-L.jpg

Item #40. It is the ambient air temperature sensor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likely, it's the same myopic engineers in the Technical Division in Cypress who told me repeatedly in early 2004 they there are NO ticking FJR cylinder heads in the country, because they all had new exhaust valves with an embossed dot. :lol:

Sorry, AGirl... it is indeed a thermistor.

Which, in this case, measures ambient air temperature.

Here's a formal definition.

Or the more simple Wikipedia definition: A thermistor is a type of resistor used to measure temperature changes, relying on the change in its resistance with changing temperature.

Ok, Nick... there's your replies to fax to the omniscient Yamaha dude. :p (I'll see you guys Tues)

Thanks fellow Feejers. Good to know where the truth can be found. :)

AGirl

p.s. Speaking of said ambient flux air sensor thermistoreous .... how accurate is this thing? It seems to read higher inside (enclosed area) than is actual but lower than is actual outside. Not that it really matters since I could get along just fine w/o it but I am kinda curious.

While it might different from bike to bike, I have found it's actually fairly accurate while the bike is moving at reasonable speed.

In stop-n-go city traffic, it can pick up sympathetic heat readings from the engine bay, and the display will read artificially high.

Its the Heisenberg compensator. They added this compensator so your GPS will not get confused between location and speed while riding top speed. :p