Any FZ-1 Riders Out there?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kballowe

Reaction score
I'm looking to sell my HD Dyna Lowrider and get something for around town, and short (less than 150 mile) trips. I'm very rural and most of the riding will be on the rural two lane roads, with short sections of gravel here and there.

I swapped bikes the other day with a fella that wanted to ride the Dyna. I think his FZ was an '04. Was amazed at how light and nimble it was and really liked it.

Already have a Wing and an FJR so I need to swap out the HD for a "running around" bike.

Pleeeeese - no super-sport bike suggestions. I'm 49 and way too old to ride bikes like that. Besides, at 5'9" they're all a bit tall for me....... :glare:

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

I have a 2nd gen FZ1 ('06) which is very different than the '04 you rode. The 1st gen is closer to the FJR in terms of its target market, where the 2nd gen is closer to the R1. I am 48 and 5'5" tall and found the 2nd gen fits me better than the first. Although the 2nd gen revs higher and makes more peak power, the first gen has better low and midrange power than the newer one and definitely has a more comfortable seat. You may also hear throttle response can be "snatchy" on the newer bikes due to new Euro emission standards.

If you are willing to make a few mods to the 2nd gen you will have an incredible all around bike. The 2nd gens handling is superior to its predecessor. The addition of a device made by Ivan's Performance completely eliminates the throttle snatch and adds midrange power. A Sargent seat gets rid of the butt burn on long distances, and a 16 tooth countersprocket puts the gearing where it should be. I have done many more mods (Power Commander, Akrapovic full exhaust, airbox mods, ignition module) and this thing is making R1 power with an upright comfortable seating position. My FJR feels slow after riding the FZ1. Hope this helps.

Check out yamahafz1oa.com It's full of FZ1 owners. I owned a Gen2 and traded it in for the FJR.

Kevin,

As a former 1st gen FZ 1 owner I can attest to the fact that it is a fantastic do all bike. I put around 10,000 miles on mine before trading up to the FJR.

Last year when I started looking into a 2nd bike for zipping around town and short trips. just like you are now. I considered getting another FZ1. But then realized that i would be just getting another FJR without plastics. I know it is lighter and has more power, but it is still an in-line four. I wanted to get something that was a totaly different riding expirience.

I buddy let me take a spin on his Buell XB9 Lightning. I came back with a huge shit eating grin on my face. Needless to say, I now have an '03 Lightning in my garage.

As a 2nd bike, this thing is a hoot. Gobs of low end grunt for around town and lots of fun in the twisty stuff.

It has an upright seating position, I'm 5'11" and I fit well on it. My girlfriend steals it from the garage all the time and she is 5' 7. She has a Ninja 650 and wants to trade me. No way.

Do yourself a favor and check one out. You can pick them up used for a song.

Tim

If your not stuck on the FZ1 you might consider the FZ6, as a great get around town bike.
No, not stuck on the FZ-1. In fact I went to a couple of the forums and checked out the specs. I'm thinking that FZ-1 has way more horsepower than what I was looking for.

You've gotten some good responses so far, here are a few items to consider.

Most FZ1 Gen2 owners agree that it costs about $600 to fix the bad snatch on the 06. The 07 is supposedly better. One thing that is not advertised too often is that the Gen2 has an ignition retarding device that limits horsepower in the first three gears. Initial dyno test by the aformentioned Ivan had a bone stock Gen 2 at 115 hp and around 72 ft-lbs in first thru third. There is no fix for that. Ivan's own testing on the stock Gen1 had it at 125 hp and 74 ft-lbs in any gear.

Another difference: Fuel capacity, 5.6 for Gen1, 4.8 (if i recall right) for Gen2. Since you have a Feej, distance may not matter to you. gas mileage also seems different. Gen2 owners largely report high 30's to about 42 as being really good. Gen 1 get high 40's and can even get 50 which I have done on mine many times even with -1/+3 gearing.

Bone stock the Gen2 is supposed to be 19 lbs lighter than Gen 1.

Gen2 values seem to have plummetted with recent reports of being about to get them NEW at less than $7500 OTD in several areas of the country. So you can get a NEW Gen 2 at a deep discount if you shop a bit.

The debate rages on as to which is best. Opinions vary.

You've gotten some good responses so far, here are a few items to consider.
Most FZ1 Gen2 owners agree that it costs about $600 to fix the bad snatch on the 06. The 07 is supposedly better. One thing that is not advertised too often is that the Gen2 has an ignition retarding device that limits horsepower in the first three gears. Initial dyno test by the aformentioned Ivan had a bone stock Gen 2 at 115 hp and around 72 ft-lbs in first thru third. There is no fix for that. Ivan's own testing on the stock Gen1 had it at 125 hp and 74 ft-lbs in any gear.

Another difference: Fuel capacity, 5.6 for Gen1, 4.8 (if i recall right) for Gen2. Since you have a Feej, distance may not matter to you. gas mileage also seems different. Gen2 owners largely report high 30's to about 42 as being really good. Gen 1 get high 40's and can even get 50 which I have done on mine many times even with -1/+3 gearing.

Bone stock the Gen2 is supposed to be 19 lbs lighter than Gen 1.

Gen2 values seem to have plummetted with recent reports of being about to get them NEW at less than $7500 OTD in several areas of the country. So you can get a NEW Gen 2 at a deep discount if you shop a bit.

The debate rages on as to which is best. Opinions vary.
No bad snatch on mine... but I did the basic stuff to eliminate it. My $600 went to make the 06 more comfortable and more visible from the rear.

There are or have been a few 06s and 07s for sale on the FZ1OA forum.

Here's a new 07, this is his 3rd FZ1 I think. He REALLY likes them.

DSCN0851.jpg

If your not stuck on the FZ1 you might consider the FZ6, as a great get around town bike.
No, not stuck on the FZ-1. In fact I went to a couple of the forums and checked out the specs. I'm thinking that FZ-1 has way more horsepower than what I was looking for.
The FZ6 is a bike you would grow out of where as the FZ1 is as easy to ride and is a bike you can grow into as you gain experience. It's really a very mellow and manageable bike below 8 grand, then she becomes a fighter jet!

ShadyValleyApril22nd2007007_edited.jpg

Sorry, Roger...but the blush will match the bike and gear...so who's to notice??? :blushing:
[SIZE=12pt]True, so true![/SIZE]

Roger

faster red 06 FZ1

Mods include...

Rizoma risers & bar ends,G2 Y400 throttle cam,TAG handlebars,HEL ss brake lines,cable re-route,Lar's air box mod,Lee's Traxxion Dynamics suspension settings,optimized TPS adj,16 T gear,cat gutted,Mobil 1 MX4T10w40,Hiflofiltro oil filter,UNCAGED sliders,Yamaha of CA shield and comfort seat,Custom Dynamics-Clear Alternatives turn signal/marker and BackOff brake lights,EVOTECH fender eliminator,Tankslapper and 3M clear headlight and tank protectors,dual FIAMM horns

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm on bike #39 and I like them all. I still have an old Bonneville that I love to ride. I realize that there are many that crave the raw horsepower but I am not one of them. I even own two Harleys - one being an '83 ElectraGlide, way under-powered by today's standards.

I read an article about the '06 FZ-6 and thought it might be just the ticket - but the author complained that it made its horsepower way up in the RPM range. Thinking about that... I figured the liter bike in the same variety would make more of its power lower down the scale. That's the reason I went with the FJR. Hey - with 1300 cc's it's gotta have some torque down low, right? :rolleyes:

Maybe I should be looking at something like an SV650? They don't make anywhere near the HP as the typical in-line four, but they make it down low - which is where I am for the majority of my riding.

Here are a few of mine.

https://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/showgal...pe=&ppuser=

Thanks

A bike that I am sorry I ever sold was my '82 Red Honda Sabre 45 (v-4). Looking for something like it brought me to thr FJR. It was shaft driven, about 780cc's,silky smooth, water cooled, 6 speed,small fairing, 30" seat, throttle lock, 50+mpg, self cancelling signals and did it sound sweet! There also was an 1100 version briefly. It was the sport sister to the magna. I'm sure there was one but I can't think of a single flaw in that bike. I forgot about it since buying the FJR but now that you have reminded me I think I'm going to dig around and try and scare one up. Man, what a great idea for a second bike!! Thanks!

Sabre45.jpg

I have an 07 fjr and a 93 honda cb750. I did a few long rides on the honda before I got my first fjr. I wont take the honda on a long ride again. My son might but I wont. I still ride the honda around town and after work some days. It is lighter and much more flickable (if that is a word). So as much as I like the honda (43000miles) I too have started thinking about a different second bike. I like horsepower and flickable. I'll keep watching to see what others are riding or suggesting. I have read a few articles on teh fz1 and it is a possibility.

Well I'm on bike #39 and I like them all. I still have an old Bonneville that I love to ride. I realize that there are many that crave the raw horsepower but I am not one of them. I even own two Harleys - one being an '83 ElectraGlide, way under-powered by today's standards.
I read an article about the '06 FZ-6 and thought it might be just the ticket - but the author complained that it made its horsepower way up in the RPM range. Thinking about that... I figured the liter bike in the same variety would make more of its power lower down the scale. That's the reason I went with the FJR. Hey - with 1300 cc's it's gotta have some torque down low, right? :rolleyes:

Maybe I should be looking at something like an SV650? They don't make anywhere near the HP as the typical in-line four, but they make it down low - which is where I am for the majority of my riding.

Here are a few of mine.

https://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/showgal...pe=&ppuser=

Thanks
If you can find someone with an SV650 to ride I think you might have found your bike. It is nothing like an FJR or an FZ1. No gobs of power, but enough to move around town. What makes the SV650 is how nimble it is. You can throw it around like a red headed step child! Not bad ergos either, pretty comfortable. It sounds like it might be what your looking for.

i am looking for a second bike for in town.Time for some of the old toys like my MG and a couple of my two stokes to go away.I rode a first gen FZ1 and loved it.It was loaded with all kinds of goodies.My love of twins though is almost too much.Any of the Suzy SV series is great choice and if you are open to suggestions go ride a new Buell.HD will give you a free back pack for demo ride.No purchase necessary.The resale(almost half to speak of) on a Buell is almost too sweet to pass by.I saw an 06 Lightening SS here in Dallas with less than 3k selling for 6.5 k with transferable full factory warranty still in place.It has the typical HD thump at idle but sweet at 1500 up.The SS has a longer wheel base and can handle a passenger or bags.The engine devolops gobs of torque and the valve tain has hydraulic lifters.No adjustments needed.The drive belt on the Buell is guaranteed for life.It breaks they pay.I would never buy one new though because it will be too pricey.I know it will be a tough choice between sewing machine smooth or low end grunt vibrator.As stated earlier there is something very satifying about riding and abusing a Gen2 Buell.If you want a low cost big displacement foundation to build a motard this is it!

I'm looking to sell my HD Dyna Lowrider and get something for around town, and short (less than 150 mile) trips. I'm very rural and most of the riding will be on the rural two lane roads, with short sections of gravel here and there.
I swapped bikes the other day with a fella that wanted to ride the Dyna. I think his FZ was an '04. Was amazed at how light and nimble it was and really liked it.

Already have a Wing and an FJR so I need to swap out the HD for a "running around" bike.

Pleeeeese - no super-sport bike suggestions. I'm 49 and way too old to ride bikes like that. Besides, at 5'9" they're all a bit tall for me....... :glare:

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

I've got a 2002 silver FZ1 that I put 38K miles on without a single problem. In fact I have it for sale right now for $4300! I put on the accessory seat, gen mar risers, and the Rifle +4" windscreen and some soft bags and it was a great sport tourer that would keep a smile on your face through the twisties. My wife rides one too.

Got the 05 silver one, LOVE it!. When it came time for the FJR I kept the 05 FZ-1. I take it for around town, long day trips, and overnights, when solo. Won't sell it no way.

Im on my 4th FZ1 and I love it, 02,03,04 and now an 07. The first gen. are more comfy to me but I also have an 06 FJR for long rides so the 07 FZ1 seating position is fine with me. The reason I have had so many FZ1's is I thought I wanted something else and I would sell the FZ and buy what I wanted and was not happy so I would go back to the FZ but now I have the best of both worlds.