How do you remove fairing on a Gen II?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyRider

esolc oot m'I siht dear nac uoy fI
Reaction score
In preparation for my upcoming week long trip to Yellowstone ( :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: ) I ordered a set of Wild Bill highway peg mounts and Kuryakyn 7996 offset mounts and 8002 pegs. I noticed from the pics of the peg mounts that you have to remove the right side fairing to install the mounts. So, since I looked in the Bin 'o FAQs and didn't see it, my question is how do you remove the fairing on the right side of a Gen II? Or can you just loosen some fasteners to get enough clearance to install the right side highway peg mounts?

TIA

Fuzzy,

You do NOT have to remove any plastic to install the wild bill peg mounts - UNLESS you somehow have the non-available in the states foot shields installed on your bike. And my guess is that you don't.

Give it a try - it works just fine.

Fuzzy,
You do NOT have to remove any plastic to install the wild bill peg mounts - UNLESS you somehow have the non-available in the states foot shields installed on your bike. And my guess is that you don't.

Give it a try - it works just fine.
Thanks kaitsdad, I'm glad to hear that. I just assumed, from looking at pictures posted here, that the top bolt holding the right side mount on (oil pump cover bolt?) couldn't be removed/installed without moving that lower fairing out of the way. Glad to know I was wrong about that!!! :yahoo:

I installed a set of the WIld Bill mounts on my 07 last weekend. You do not have to remove the fairing, but installation is much easier if you remove the lower bolt to gain clearance. I also removed the bolt under the air vent (cover will come off after removing the two quick release screws). This gave additional clearance to get to the top mount bolt.

The forward position is good for me (5" 10") and like the setup.

I installed a set of the WIld Bill mounts on my 07 last weekend. You do not have to remove the fairing, but installation is much easier if you remove the lower bolt to gain clearance. I also removed the bolt under the air vent (cover will come off after removing the two quick release screws). This gave additional clearance to get to the top mount bolt.
The forward position is good for me (5" 10") and like the setup.
I'll go ahead and remove the lower bolt then and see if that gives me enough clearance. Thanks for the tips.

I'm looking forward to having the pegs - they should make the 3,000 mile trip a little easier. :)

In preparation for my upcoming week long trip to Yellowstone ( :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: ) I ordered a set of Wild Bill highway peg mounts and Kuryakyn 7996 offset mounts and 8002 pegs. I noticed from the pics of the peg mounts that you have to remove the right side fairing to install the mounts. So, since I looked in the Bin 'o FAQs and didn't see it, my question is how do you remove the fairing on the right side of a Gen II? Or can you just loosen some fasteners to get enough clearance to install the right side highway peg mounts?
TIA
Were did you order them from????

TIA
Were did you order the Kuryakyn 7996 offset mounts and 8002 pegs from???

Any pics yet of the set up??

Thanks

Zodiac, I ordered the peg mounts from Wild Bill - https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/acc/pegs/pegs.html

I ordered the K 7996 & 8002 from Wing Worx - https://www.wingworx.com/

The lady who took my order at Wing Worx told me I got the last set of 8002 they had and it didn't look like they were getting more.

I'll post some pictures when I get 'em installed. The mounts themselves were shipped to Garauld for powder coating and should be here soon.

Update: I just got the highway peg mounts in from Garauld. He powder coated them to match the engine color and they look great. I'll intall 'em tonight after work and try to get some pictures up right after I install them.

Update: I just got the highway peg mounts in from Garauld. He powder coated them to match the engine color and they look great. I'll intall 'em tonight after work and try to get some pictures up right after I install them.
OK, so 3 weeks later isn't exactly "right after I install them" but hey, better late than never, right? :rolleyes:

I sent the Wild Bill peg mounts off to Garauld for power coating. Gary did an absolute top notch job powder coating the mounts. I then had to drill out the mounting hole with a 1/2" drill bit (was 3/8" mounting hole for the pegs) to mount the Kuryakyn 7996 offsets with Kury 8002 pegs. Note - even though they do look lower than the primary rider's pegs in the pictures they are actually a little higher than the primary rider's pegs and will not touch down earlier or cause lack of clearance while cornering.

Right Side:

GM4Z9001.jpg

Left Side:

GM4Z9004.jpg

Fuzzyrider,

Thanks alot for all the info!!! :rolleyes:

Just finished mounting everything, including having the wildbill mounts painted by Garuald and they look great!

Zodiac

Fuzzyrider,

Just finished mounting everything, including having the wildbill mounts painted by Garuald and they look great!

Zodiac

Zodiac,

good to hear. Be sure and post a pic of them so we can see them. Also, you did use some Loctite blue on the bolts going through the Wild ill mounts, right?

Fuzzyrider,

Zodiac

Zodiac,

good to hear. Be sure and post a pic of them so we can see them. Also, you did use some Loctite blue on the bolts going through the Wild ill mounts, right?
Do your legs hit the plastic? they look real good, but wondering if the 1.5 inch extension would be good.

Fuzzyrider,

Zodiac

Zodiac,

Do your legs hit the plastic? they look real good, but wondering if the 1.5 inch extension would be good.
They did just a little bit at first but I have now learned how to use them without any interference from the fairing. In fact I use 3 feet positions on them with none of the positions causing interference:

1) feet turned outward, legs spread out to avoid fairing contact, souls of feet perpendicular to the road (almost) and inside of heels resting on outside of highway pegs

2) Notch between heal and soul of boot resting on pegs - feet at about a 45 degree angle with the ground

3) balls of feet resting on pegs, legs spread out to avoid fairing contact, feet close to parallel with ground (20 degrees?)

Hey, Fuzzy, that setup looks great - nice job. May I ask how much it all cost, including powder coating? How do you like the results?

Also, it looks like you may have a problem removing the oil filter re: clearance to the bracket - what do you think?

Thanks,

- Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Fuzzy, that setup looks great - nice job. May I ask how much it all cost, including powder coating? How do you like the results?
Also, it looks like you may have a problem removing the oil filter re: clearance to the bracket - what do you think?

Thanks,

- Scott
Scott, all told for the pegs, mounts, powder coating and shipping it was $190. As for the results, I LOVE them. I can't say enough good things about the setup. I know that I could not have done 3500 miles in 9 days without the highway pegs. The pegs and the throttle lock take care of most of my long distance problems with the bike and the problems that are left are minor in comparison.

As for the oil filter, the mounts cause no problem as long as you use stock Yamaha filters. I've heard of people that used some aftermarket filters that were longer and had to loosen up the highway peg mounts in order to change the filter. I just changed my oil and filter a week ago and can tell you that the only trick is to use some channel locks to loosen the filter. Also, just hand tighten the filter. That's OK for me though - I've never torqued my oil filters with a torque wrench and have had no problems with overtightening or leaking.