Lack of tie down locations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rls

Reaction score
Got a 07 and went to tie some stuff down on the back seat and rack and found no good places to hook tie downs (bunge cords) to. My freind has a earlier model and the rack on it is open so you can hook tie downs to it while the 07 is solid. My old Concours had flip down hooks. Sure wish this did. Am I missing something? Hard to believe that they did not think of this.

Got a 07 and went to tie some stuff down on the back seat and rack and found no good places to hook tie downs (bunge cords) to. My freind has a earlier model and the rack on it is open so you can hook tie downs to it while the 07 is solid. My old Concours had flip down hooks. Sure wish this did. Am I missing something? Hard to believe that they did not think of this.

Hi RLS - I'd recommend never using bungie cords - you know what they say, "It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye". Seriously, those little buggers are bad news. Why not try a tankbag or google ANDY STRAPZ in Oz. He has some nifty straps that work with velcro and would hook around the pillion 'handle'. You can also create some little extender loops that anchor down on the frame below the saddle, towards the pillion footpegs,

ride safe!

I don't use bungies either - I had too many close calls. Instead, I use 3/4" nylon web strapping and an assortment of buckles - this stuff can be found in a good camping store. They may have a roll - buy it by the foot. I bought 20 ft and cut them up in several sizes. Now, you need one of these to strap it down - about $170 plus shipping - just PM me to get on my build list...

P7140191a.jpg

:rolleyes:

I installed Bungee Buddies on the top of my bags. See Them Here

I had to drill the inner layer of the bags a little bigger in order to get a socket on the nut, as the threaded part is not long enough to go through both layers of the bags. I put two in each side one in front and one behind the latch.

I've had the same problem with the 04, 06, and now the 07. My solution has been to remove the rear seat, hook the tail bag bungees under the edge, then reinstall the seat with bag attached. I've travelled several thousand miles this way without damaging the seat or marring the surrounding paint . . . nor has the bag loosened or shifted.

And another alternative...
P3030427.jpg
Ok folks, I'll add my .02 or maybe .1 cents. Get Garauld's rack! Without it, you really have squat to tie anything to.

His rack is great. Looks, quality, functionality, no question. Well worth it. I've strapped a number of things to it and it's been great each time.

g

I've had the same problem with the 04, 06, and now the 07. My solution has been to remove the rear seat, hook the tail bag bungees under the edge, then reinstall the seat with bag attached. I've travelled several thousand miles this way without damaging the seat or marring the surrounding paint . . . nor has the bag loosened or shifted.
I wish I had thought of this. I lost a bag and it's contents to my rear tire on my recent x-country trip. I'm lucky that the wheel didn't lock up.

tornbag1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
well I said bunge cord as a generic term. Basically unless I get a rack nothing to tie to. I have hooked some stuff under the seat and it works. Too bad they did not give us a bone to tie too!

One of the side benefits of buying the Givi C46 was purchasing their welded pipe frame for the C46. Strong, looks good powdercoated black, & has lots of mount points for bungees, straps, whatever you want...