ElectroSport ESG-130 Stator Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
I wanted to pass on my experience and my story on my ESG 130 install and then re-install. So, here goes!

For those who are not mechanically inclined, the stator resides here, just under the crankcase cover with “Yamaha” on the outside.

IMG_07292.jpg

Here’s a picture of the “new” ESG stator:

IMG_07152.jpg

Something you have to consider up front is whether you want to retain the OEM connection into the Regulator / Rectifier (RR), or use the connections that come on the ESG. The OEM stator connector is actually the gray one behind the more visible black one, but they are basically the same.

IMG_07112.jpg

IMG_07132.jpg

IMG_07042.jpg

As you can tell, the OEM connector is pretty substantial and no doubt water resistant. From the picture of the stator you can see that the ESG just uses open female spade connectors. Not a tough decision for me to make. I chose to retain the OEM connector and cut/splice the ESG wiring into the existing wiring. Next step is to decide where to do the splice. (I chose the splice location poorly on my first stator – I did it inside the crankcase cover – poor, very poor, choice. I’ll discuss that later!) In order to get some weather protection for the splice, I chose to do it under the rubber thingy next to the tank. Here’s a picture:

IMG_07212.jpg

The stator wiring runs thru here on its way to the RR; easy to get to and does provide some additional weather protection.

So, choice made, here’s how to proceed:

Remove the left side fairing. Raise the tank and remove the rubber thingy. Remove the crankcase cover (standard allen wrench) – oil does flow thru this area when the engine is running, but most of it drains away when you shut down. Put an oil pan under the cover, you’ll get about an ounce or so coming out when you remove the cover. What happens in here is that the crankshaft spins (has magnets around it) in the center of the stator which induces a current which travels to the RR where magic turns A/C to D/C and maintains a steady voltage output. So, when you remove the cover you will feel fairly significant resistance – that the magnets. Gird your loins and pull the cover off. Here’s what you’ll see with the cover removed:

IMG_07022.jpg

There are 2 x “dowels” that fit close by 2 of the bolts and they may come out with the cover. No problem, just stick ‘em back in when you’re ready. They let you hang the gasket and help center the cover when you put it back on. Here’s a picture of the gasket:

IMG_07202.jpg

…the dowels fit in the “extra” holes at 7 and 3 o’clock. You may also pull out the large gear at the top of the picture when you remove the cover, I did the second time I removed it. The shaft can also come out, just reposition the gears and stick the shaft back in – do make sure it fits correctly, but it’s no big challenge.

Remove the stator. There are 3 x T30 Torx screws – if you haven’t seen a Torx socket, here it is on the left with a regular Allen on the right:

IMG_07262.jpg

IMG_07252.jpg

Then remove the wire holder assembly. 1 x screw that is supposed to be torqued to around 5 lbft, but I had to use an impact wrench to remove!

Prior to re-installing the stator, you will need to remove the gasket/gasket material from the case and from the bike side. I used Gasket remover and a plastic putty knife.

Now, put the new stator in. Torque for the 3 x Torx screw is 7.2 lbft. Arrange the wires and insert the wire holder – torque is 4.3 lbft. Now, you need to use hi-temp silicone sealant (Red) around the rubber grommet thru which the wires run. That is supposed to “cure” for 24 hours – and in fact I did let it cure. At this point you can put on the new gasket and the crankcase cover. And remember, there are magnets at work here so you do need to be “firm.” Cover bolts are 8.7 lbft of torque. Note, I stripped one bolt (1st bolt from bottom center headed counter-clockwise – I had the wrench set to 9 lbft. I’m going to buy a torque wrench capable of finer (smaller) accurate settings. FYI, no leakage from that part of the cover in about 1k miles. Will probably exercise the helicoil option at some point.

At this point you need to cut and splice (if that’s your choice). I ran the ESG wires up to the cut/splice point. Then, cut and splice! To make the best connection I possibly could, I soldered, covered with Dielectric grease, used nautical heat shrink, then another nautical heat shrink over all 3 wires, and then electrical tape over the ends! Here’s a picture of the stuff I used (left to right is the ….

IMG_07182.jpg

At this point, lower the tank and secure, put the left fairing back on, and wait 24 hours for the silicone sealant to cure. To be honest, I did start ole’ Maxine just to check the voltage – it was good to go! I didn’t let it run enough to heat up the crankcase cover and the silicone sealant.

If you chose to use the ESG connectors into the RR, you’ll need to get to the gray stator plug into the RR. If you are very patient, you might be able to remove the OEM and plug the 3 x female space connectors in without removing any more plastic, but I kinda doubt it. If you chose, you might try to remove the radiator hose and sneak behind it…..or, remove the left side cowling, and the black (05 year) panels on the left side. I gotta tell you, in my opinion removing the left cowling is a pain in the ass and I would personally do almost anything not to remove it – again!

This is one of those tasks that may seem daunting at first, but when you break it down into its component parts, it really isn’t a difficult job. Yes, if you screw up, well, you’re screwed!! But, not a bad job overall and another opportunity to learn and experience something new.

For my original ESG install and the “mistake.” I chose to use the OEM connector. My mistake was that I chose to cut/splice inside the crankcase cover! Big mistake, do not, do not repeat my mistake! I didn’t have room to solder, etc so ended up using crimp connectors and electrical tape. I absolutely knew that at some point this would fail. And by golly, I was right! Here are a couple of pictures of the results of a “poor” connection:

IMG_07052.jpg

IMG_07062.jpg

IMG_07072.jpg

Because I knew this would fail at some point, I installed a Datel Voltmeter on my right side panel – over the battery. Interesting readings. When working correctly (stator that is), my Datel reads 14.1 or 14.2v on startup. Once warmed up, and especially in warmer weather, that will drop to 13.9 or 14.0v. Turning my heated grips to high drops that by 0.2v (lo is 0.1). Turning on my Hella FF-50s drops that by 0.6v. GPS / bike to bike radio / Autocom intercom don’t register any drop. Widder heated vest will drop it anywhere from 0.1 to, if I recall correctly, 0.6v depending on setting (0-7). And the vest will also cause the Datel to fluctuate as the vest cycles.

I was able to tell when my connection finally failed. I started off to work one day and the Datel read 12.9 – 13.2v and fluctuated. I said what the heck and headed out. At highway speeds (~3 -4 k RPM) the Datel read 14.0v. At idle, it read 12.8 to 13.2v. So, I figured my connections were headed to failure. I actually rode the bike for a couple of days. Then 2 Saturdays ago I took Lorie for a couple hour ride. Got home, picked up some papers I had to take to a buddies house…..once moving I noticed the Datel reading 11.9 – oh crapolino! So I quickly turned around and rode the roughly 2 miles home. By the time I got home it was reading about 11.2v. Now I have never seen a concrete answer as to what point (reading) you are no longer charging the battery, but are in fact discharging the battery because the generator/alternator is not longer working. I feel real safe in saying that 11.9v is past that point. I figured a reading of at least 12.5v meant I was at worst keeping even. Anyway, new stator arrived 2 days later and here we are. Rode roughly 1k miles to, around, and back from EOM with no problems.

If anyone has any questions I’d be happy to answer them – as long as you understand the guy providing you answers has done this exactly 2 times, 1 time the wrong way and 1 time the right way (or it would seem so!).

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a headlight switch on an '89 Mercury that looked like that. There's no headlight relay on that car, so full current goes through the switch. Contacts got a little corroded with time, which adds an ohm or two after a while. Ohms and amps together make things warm, which makes for more corrosion, which makes for more ohms, which makes for more heat, yada yada yada.

Nothing like grungy electricals to make you wish you'd done different, huh? :rolleyes:

Good call on the connector, too. Is that stator an FJR-specific part, or do they sell it for lots of bikes? I can't imagine offering a replacement part without a replacement connector, like the way the PCIII plugs right into the injector connectors.

Is that stator an FJR-specific part, or do they sell it for lots of bikes? I can't imagine offering a replacement part without a replacement connector, like the way the PCIII plugs right into the injector connectors.

Its FJR specific. IIRC ElectroSport couldn't get the Yamaha connectors.

If you still have the old stator, would you be willing to part with it?

I guess not.

What's the advantage of this stator? I looked at ES' website and didn't see any specs. Is it higher output?

Fabone sez (about Gen I only):

Yamaha claims 490W. Real output: 400W @ 2500rpm stock. The NEW ESG130 output: 510W @ 2500rpm.

Stock fuel injection/ignition/intermittent fan/lights/etc ends up being 250-300W. ESG130 therefore allows for 200W of excess power on the bike, compared to about 100W in stock configuration.

Fabone sez (about Gen I only):
Yamaha claims 490W. Real output: 400W @ 2500rpm stock. The NEW ESG130 output: 510W @ 2500rpm.

Stock fuel injection/ignition/intermittent fan/lights/etc ends up being 250-300W. ESG130 therefore allows for 200W of excess power on the bike, compared to about 100W in stock configuration.

IIRC didn't the Electrosport stator have less output than stock below 2500rpm? I thought there was a thread with a graph that indicated that. But you mentioned the NEW ESG130. Is the low speed output superior to its predecessor? That would probably push me over the edge to buy one.

Wish I could give you some empirical data on stock vs ESG. Can tell you that this AM with Dual Star Grip heaters to low and my Widder vest at about 4/7, the Datel showed a steady 13.8v. 13.9v w/no vest, and 14.0/14.1v without anything on. Turning the FF-50s on drops that reading by 0.6v.

IIRC didn't the Electrosport stator have less output than stock below 2500rpm? I thought there was a thread with a graph that indicated that.
Click the chart to see the supporting text from Iggy:

Data from Fabone:

Stock stator: At 2500 it’s @ 390W, 3600 @ 403W and straight lines from there

ESG130:....... At 2500 it's @ 470W, 3600 @ 510W and 6000@ 520W

Here is a better product then basic shrink tube.

Clicky

https://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html (here's the link, the clicky didn't work for some reason) go to heat shrink and look for

"Extra Heavy Duty Black Polyolefin Heatshrink With Adhesive"

It has an adhesive that melts and seals the shrink tube as it shrinks down. Otherwise moisture can travel along the insulation and get into the connection and corrode it. We use a Raychem product similar to this with 480 volt lighting and we are not worried about it being in waterafter applying this over a splice.

bbailey925 - great link, that's pretty substantial stuff. I did use nautical grade heat shrink that also has adhesive inside that melts. Thanks for the link.

IIRC didn't the Electrosport stator have less output than stock below 2500rpm? I thought there was a thread with a graph that indicated that.
Click the chart to see the supporting text from Iggy:

Data from Fabone:

Stock stator: At 2500 it’s @ 390W, 3600 @ 403W and straight lines from there

ESG130:....... At 2500 it's @ 470W, 3600 @ 510W and 6000@ 520W

Thanks for posting the graph. It was only below 1300 rpm that the stock stator has a small advantage.