Mississippi Blues Pilgrimage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sthames

Reaction score
Mississippi Blues pilgrimage – Hwy 1 River road and Hwy 61 Baton Rouge to Memphis

Doesn’t look like many twisties but well maintained back roads and lots of history and points of interest – Blues plus Civil War memorial parks. Has anyone made this one?

Mississippi Blues pilgrimage – Hwy 1 River road and Hwy 61 Baton Rouge to Memphis Doesn’t look like many twisties but well maintained back roads and lots of history and points of interest – Blues plus Civil War memorial parks. Has anyone made this one?
I've made the trek on hwy 61 from BR to Memphis in the cage and on the feej. Haven't been on hwy 1, though.

61 is 4 lane most of the way. But it's wide, straight, flat, fast 2 lane concrete for 90 miles just north of Vicksburg. You can test your passing skills on the occasional traffic. Although it's more or less a boring road, the 90 miles above V-burg is a pleasant ride.

When you get to Tunica, MS, I'd advise you get on I-69 out to I-55. The last 30 minutes of Hwy 61 into Memphis probably isn't worth the time.

Took the southern part of that road about 2 weeks ago. From southwest LA east to 190 north east of Baton Rouge we took Hwy 1 then crossed the Mississippi on the ferry to St Francisville and got on 61 north. Then we veered off to go to Angola State Penitentary on the Tunica Trace road because we had never been down that road. Then took 969 to Woodville to hit 61 again. Nice twisty roads if you get a chance to take it. From Woodville to Natchez 61 is a smooth four lane road. We went to the southern end ofthe Natchez Trace and the crossed over the bridge heading back on hwy 15 back to hwy 1. If you want a twisty road that follows the river stay on hwy 1 to hwy 15 to Natchez. If you do, fill up with gas first because there is nothing there. We were low on gas and had to run on reserve for quite a few miles before finding a country store. We did this route because we wanted to eat at this cafe just south of Natchez on 61. Almost 500 miles just for a sandwich on Saturday. Couldn't waste a day any better than that.

mamas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: