Installing Vista Cruise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
I debated on whether to ask this dumb question and as you can see, decided to go forth. I have the VC sitting in my farkle box at home waiting for a few minutes to install. My dumb ass question is this: What physically holds the throttle open when you push down the VC lever? I want to know how close to position the grip to the VC to ensure it engages correctly w/o binding when not engaged.

Thanks.

The Vista cruise is a cam operated pinch unit. The inner diameter of the vista cruise gets smaller when the lever is operated closed. When opened a spring aids allowing the inner diameter to expand. The inner diameter of the vista cruise basically clamps on the throttle under the grip and holds it. If you follow the directions on how to adjust it you should be fine. I had to trim my throttle grip by the Vista cruise and also move it out toward the outside to reduce the unactuated binding of the Vista cruise.

I have used both NEP and Vista cruise throttle locks on my bikes since the early nineties and have been very happy with them. I wouldn't take a long trip with out one.

DRJFJR

Last edited by a moderator:
What physically holds the throttle open when you push down the VC lever?
To add to above replies - on my Hondas it was the throttle cables. I had to trim all my VCs in order to get the tab situated appropriately between the two cables. That tab holds the lock in place which in turn, holds the throttle open.

More info here:

Install

Note, in these instructions a screw is used instead of the tab I'm referring to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies! Looked at the grip/throttle sleeve last night - I didn't remember that the sleeve runs all the way to the throttle cable housing, that's why the dumb question! It does and the VC clearly compresses that sleeve when you push the lever down! Think I'll go the "screw" way.

OK - here's my experience. I went the route described in the FJRtech directions. I found that sanding the tab off of the bottom didn't work for me. When I tightened the screw it pushed the top of the VC to the "outside" and it rubbed against the grip. Last night I cut two small pieces off of a zip tie and glued them where the tab "used" to be to form a small ledge under the screw hole. Theory being that as I tighten the screw it will push the top of the VC away from the grip. Just wanted to pass on my experience for others to consider! Jim

I have found this has worked fine for many thousands of miles since it was first installed back in 2003.

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/acc/tl/tl.html

BTW: This is the exact same VC I used on my 1984 GL1200a for several years (72,000 miles), removed and installed on my 1998 GL1500se for about 2 years (60,000 miles), and now have been running on my FJ1300 for all this time. I bought a spare a year or so back just in case this one wore out, but it's still hanging on the peg board in the garage while the original one keeps on working.