Whistle Located

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickey191

Reaction score
Whistle is pronounced on my bike at around two speeds and configurations.

At about 20 mph with the windscreen almost all the way up - there is a lower pitched but very pronounced whistle.

at 40 to 55 mph with screen in several configurations - there is a higher pitched whistle - doesn't seem as loud, but that could be because of the wind noise.

If you put your hand on top of the dash and sort of stuff it into the the space between the windscreen and the dash - the whistle will go away.

don't know if a dash shelf would make it better or worse.

Saeng stealth edging on the bottom also might work. There seems to be perhaps a harmonic coming from the newly designed mirror mounts, but I was holding on for dear life at that point and couldn't take my hands off the grips any longer. :assasin:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you put your hand on top of the dash and sort of stuff it into the the space between the windscreen and the dash - the whistle will go away. 
Is this the redesigned area to relieve buffeting?

since I didn't have an older fjr - I'm not sure if it is redesigned or not -

It is NOT the vents that are under the instrument cluster - it is the space between the windshield and the cowling on top of the instrument cluster.

...and thus all 06's were from then on known as 'Whistlers'.
But they aren't just whistling Dixie!

It is redisgned. There is a space between the fairing and the screen on both, but the shape of the screen was changed and the mounting was changed.

I actually like the whistle and will not attempt to remove it. Reminds me of the old WWWII aircraft that, while in a downward flight, emitted a howling/whistling sound. I think they were F4U's.. hmmm, I maybe getting closer to naming 'Whistler'..

I noticed the whistle when I took off from the dealer. But, after a few minutes of moving the windscreen up and down to find 'the right' position for me, it pretty much went away.

I was running from 30-85 mph with strong winds out of the West. I pretty much traveled in all 4 directions of the compass and found that it whistled more in one direction (into the wind?) than others. The whistle was not constant ... episodic like. Didn't really bother me much.

I had on a HJC Symax flip helmet and the wind noise is pretty constant and loud (same when on my Wing, tho), so some of the whistle may have been muffled by the helmet's wind song.

BAGGER

Chuck -- let us know if you find a fix for the whistle. I'll be interested to hear if/how you fix it.

The first two rides I did with my bike, I did hear a whistle, especially when the windscreen was all the way up. Now today, took a short cruise for 30 miles or so and zero whistle and I did play with the screen in multiple spots. At this point, I'm so excited to just have the bike, and when I brought this up to my husband he just told me to be glad I got the new bike this year. (Think he's jealous ;) )

AJ

Go faster, the whistle goes away. At 60 to 110 the whistle isnt audible over the wind noise. Not sure if it whistles at higher speeds. :agent:

I actually like the whistle and will not attempt to remove it. Reminds me of the old WWWII aircraft that, while in a downward flight, emitted a howling/whistling sound. I think they were F4U's.. hmmm, I maybe getting closer to naming 'Whistler'..
Yeppers, that was the Vaught F4U Corsair, known as "Whistling Death" by the Japanese pilots.

Awful purdy plane huh?

corsairplanepic.jpg

Is it just me or does that look awfully close to a cobalt blue?

What if you take a thin strip of black foam tape and adhere it to the underside of the windscreen where the support brackets mount? May alter the airflow a tiny amount while omitting the whistle. It'd be worth a try since it's a farkle that is easily reversed.

haven't really messed with it - but my guess is that it will be relatively easy to eliminate - at least some of the whistling. doesn't take much to stop it by way of sticking something n the air flow. However - it might start at some other speed.

spent some time around 80 mph today and it whistles there, too. depending on shield orientation and wind direction. Hard to hear with all the wind noise (fjr's are certainly noisy).

weather stipping - or even some foam - or saeng stealth edging might make it all go away.

Funny - I didn't hear it at low speed today - where it is usually the most obvious (maybe 'cause I was on the freeway and didn't do much low speed - but there was several miles of splitting that had to be done).