Whistle Located

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hm....let's see here. Wonky the whistler. Wonky whistle. Whistler wonky. whistling wonky. Winky whistler. Winky wonky. Wonky winky. Winking wonky. Whistler winky. Wally whistler. Wonka whistle. Whistle wonky. Wonka tonka. Tonka tinky. Ticking tonka. Ticking wonka. Wonka ticking. Wonky wicky. Wicky wonky. Ticky tocky. Tick tock. Toe tick. Tick tack toe. Whistle toe. Missile toe. Different strokes. Cameron poe. Dicky doh. Ah...christ on a bike....my head hurts now. :dribble:

dude! what the hockey puck was that all about??

jeez, now i need another drink. i'm sending you my tab mister!

Whistling is caused by turbulent air moving over or through a narrow opening. If you look on the inside of the windscreen , you will see a metal bar that goes from one side of the shield to the other...looking at it from underneath, at the front of the bike, you can see that it has a thin space running between it and the screen, and at each end there is a few sharp bends that also contain narrow gaps.

I would wager that by covering these gaps the whistling will stop. As it appears this gap does not change when raising or lowering the screen, one could use weatherstripping or silicone to fill the space.

KM

I am getting delirious from work. I'll be up for 24 hours....I can feel it. Was pretty funny, though. From a child's point of view.

Hm....let's see here.   Wonky the whistler.  Wonky whistle.  Whistler wonky.  whistling wonky.  Winky whistler.  Winky wonky. Wonky winky.  Winking wonky.  Whistler winky.  Wally whistler.  Wonka whistle.  Whistle wonky.  Wonka tonka.  Tonka tinky.  Ticking tonka.  Ticking wonka.  Wonka ticking.  Wonky wicky.  Wicky wonky.  Ticky tocky.  Tick tock.  Toe tick.  Tick tack toe.  Whistle toe.  Missile toe.  Different strokes.  Cameron poe.  Dicky doh.  Ah...christ on a bike....my head hurts now. :dribble:
It's OK, Odot...

Set down the glass, it's already empty. Go drink some water (lots) then take an Advil.

Go to bed. sleep in. Drink more water when you get up. Take another Advil.

In the future, I would suggest that you drink higher quality moonshine. Something that doesn't have a worm floating in it. :bigeyes: and with a somewhat lower lead content.

That's a good Odot ....... Good Odot ....... It will be ok.

(and Wonky says "Hello" !! :lol: :D )

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just freaky, dude. Why would anybody...in their right mind....call their bike...."wonky"? Is it something out of the chocolate factory? Or is it just the acid kicking in? I'm out of the loop.

OK - let's put this Wonky theme to rest. :blink:

wonky

Dictionary dot com:

/wong'kee/ adj. [from Australian slang] Yet another

approximate synonym for broken. Specifically connotes a

malfunction that produces behavior seen as crazy, humorous, or

amusingly perverse. "That was the day the printer's font logic went

wonky and everybody's listings came out in Tengwar." Also in

`wonked out'. See funky, demented, bozotic.

Mirriam-Webster on line:

Pronunciation: 'wä[ng]-kE

Function: adjective

Etymology: probably alteration of English dialect wankle, from Middle English wankel, from Old English wancol; akin to Old High German wankOn to totter -- more at WENCH

1 British : UNSTEADY, SHAKY

2 British : AWRY, WRONG

And so on. Lot's of different descriptions. Overall, it defines my ability to ride. After a 30 year hiatus from riding, I'm a wee bit shaky, to say the least. :blink: :blink:

And my wife thinks I'm nuts.

My daughter appreciates my sense of humor. In fact, she came up with my personalised license plate - "Amentia", which is currently on order with the California DMV. Look that one up !! :D :haha:

What I can tell you is this - regardless of what I named her, Wonky is a beautiful lady, and I look forward to a long and rewarding relationship.

:hyper:

Ok, it's settled.....but if anyone asks.....we don't know one another. :lol:

Whistling is caused by turbulent air moving over or through a narrow opening. If you look on the inside of the windscreen , you will see a metal bar that goes from one side of the shield to the other...looking at it from underneath, at the front of the bike, you can see that it has a thin space running between it and the screen, and at each end there is a few sharp bends that also contain narrow gaps. I would wager that by covering these gaps the whistling will stop. As it appears this gap does not change when raising or lowering the screen, one could use weatherstripping or silicone to fill the space.

KM
Has anyone tried Knifemakers fix to the whistling problem? If so, what did you do and did it work?

We meaning you....seem to have gotten off topic...."TO WHISTLE OR NOT TO WHISTLE....THAT WAS THE QUESTION" :mmm: :notme: :eek:k:

I WANT to try the fix, but im still a waiter.

on top of that, my brain hurts from all that wonky,winky, stuff.

Odot -- exactly what kind of drug is that? :dribble: :dribble:

I put duct tape over the bottom exterior bar that goes across the bottom of the windshield and what do you know, no more whistle. I'll now use clear silicone along the botton edge of the bar to eliminate the whistling. :D