I had a dunderhead incident early this morning...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus
Reaction score
Ok, this is a test, a whodunnit (moi), what happened ?, how to fix it...

Got my newish cruise control installed and working just fine...only had it a few weeks and this is my third long ride with it...

Patriot Guard funeral mission for fellow PGR member and military veteran today...had to be in Quitman, MS for 8:30am 200 miles away.

Fellow RC says we're going to meet up in Picayune, MS (one hour, 60 miles from my home) for breakfast and gas up.

Up at 2:30am, check email, etc. on computer, check weather (raining in New Orleans, but clear 25 miles up the road), gear up in armored waterproof pants, armor jacket, frogg toggs top with hood under helmet, waterproof sealskin sox, and waterproof warm gloves. Temps a mild 60 on departure at 3:30am.

Tooling along on the Interstate, very light traffic at that hour, but lotsa trucks making their runs. Wet road. New Orleans highways notoriously patched with big bumps in some sections.

Set the cruise to 65mph. Have experienced a phenomenom of disengaging the cruise accidently by gripping the throttle too hard and inadvertently twisting it closed a bit. Have grip puppies that are high friction, sticky to leather gloves.

Riding between New Orleans and Slidell, it's pitch black on the interstate, no lighting, shiny damp road, rolling along at 70.

Hit a bump and the engine shuts down, dead as a door nail and I glide with nothing to the side of the road with the clutch in.

Truck after truck roars by at 70 blowing me a step or so every time.

Cycle the key a few times, voltmeter reads 12.3 volts, dash lights up and cycles, 4 way flashers are working, press the starter button and nothing. Damn - can't be the main fuse, I have electricity, but no spinning of the starter.

What happened ???

see below:

I grope in the trunk for a flashlight and after some minutes, find it. Course I need the key and the bike is dark while the key is out of the ignition. I then put the key back in the ignition and turn to on and flashers start flashing to help keep the trucks from plowing into me. I figure it can't be a fuse and shine the light on the ignition switch wondering if a wire came out. You know, one of the big ones. All looks fine. I wonder if I should get my ignition wire fix it kit out with the xacto knife and cut open the sheathing on the ignition wires if one has actually pulled out. Then I think of Jim Lovell of Apollo 13 fame - Houston we have a problem; Gene Kranz chants "Work the problem people, fix it, don't make it worse, work the simplest stuff first and then go to more complicated." I'm standing there wondering what it could be, shining my flashlight all over the bike distraught at all the plastic covering up the innards of the bike. Then a red button catches my eye on the handlebar. I shine the light on the kill switch - whatta know, it's in the kill position. As a rule, I never touch a kill button. It's engaged. Geez. Thinking back, I realize to solve the inadvertant disengaging the cruise thingy, I've let go of the throttle grip and grabbed the front brake clamp right next to the kill switch. This time, a big bump threw my hand to the left to keep from hitting the throttle and bumped the kill switch. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR, no engine, no throttle, no go. Then my spirits are raised as I click the kill switch off and to engine on and hit the starter button. Nothing. Damn, nothing. Then I remove the flashlight from the dash area and notice all lights on, except the green one. It ain't in neutral. Click down the shifter till green on the dash and hit the starter button, VVVAAAAAAAAAAAARRROOOOOOOOOOOOMMM. Engine lights to life and purrs the most lovely sound of power, safety, and rescue I've ever heard in a long time.

So, that red button to kill the engine in an emergency really works. Even for a dunderhead... :rolleyes:

Mike in Nawlins' <head down in shame and embarassment, sigh>

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhuh, I've inadvertantly done that'n myself, not quite the same way but... However, due to another habit I've developed, I realized what I had done [almost :blink: ] immediately.

Something that has stuck w/ me from my first MSF course many years back. They recommended that we always use the kill switch to stop the motor [& then turn the key of course], BECAUSE in that one critical moment when you REALLY NEED to shut it down NOW it will instinctively be the first thing you reach for. It has paid off already, once w/ a dike down in loose gravel/touring load/full tank/& gas flowing out over a hot engine!! ...and no, I've never run the battery down due to forgetting the key, as the sceond step is part of the habit also.

I used to ride with a smart ass in Germany that would ride up next to you and hit you kill switch. He also liked to do it when you were parked and not looking

My 'incident' happened on a beemer, but it's similar. :unsure:

i was rolling north on I-15 in Utah and came upon a flatbed dually pickup on a thinly populated interstate. He was in the right lane and I was in the left; subliminally, something was amiss, I rolled off to match his speed. :ph34r: Good thing! He drops both left rear wheels and I trip the ABS to avoid them. :dribble: The wheels skip off to the center divide and I release the brakes and I'm still coasting with no engine-al motivation. The flatbed is headed to the shoulder skipping sparks and I noticed the kill-switch is flipped. I switched it back on and after the trucks tires did a series of 10 foot bunny hops and entered the center divide I roll on. :yahoo: One of the wheels made it to the southbound lanes and a couple on a Wing had to do a quick twitch to avoid it. :blink: They made it :yahoo:

Ok, this is a test, a whodunnit (moi), what happened ?, how to fix it...

Thinking back, I realize to solve the inadvertant disengaging the cruise thingy, I've let go of the throttle grip and grabbed the front brake clamp right next to the kill switch. This time, a big bump threw my hand to the left to keep from hitting the throttle and bumped the kill switch. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR, no engine, no throttle, no go. Then my spirits are raised as I click the kill switch off and to engine on and hit the starter button. Nothing. Damn, nothing. Then I remove the flashlight from the dash area and notice all lights on, except the green one. It ain't in neutral. Click down the shifter till green on the dash and hit the starter button, VVVAAAAAAAAAAAARRROOOOOOOOOOOOMMM. Engine lights to life and purrs the most lovely sound of power, safety, and rescue I've ever heard in a long time.

So, that red button to kill the engine in an emergency really works. Even for a dunderhead... :rolleyes:

Mike in Nawlins' <head down in shame and embarassment, sigh>

Hey Mike

You did the right thing,

I did the wrong thing...
Sitting at the gas station behind work early last year, got on the bike to leave after filling up. Hit the button and nothing happens. :blink: I had driven up to the pumps, got gas, and now bike won't fire. Dash on, running lights on, everything a go - still won't fire! :angry2: I must have spent 25 minutes diggin into the dash, checking all the fuses, working all the connectors I could find, side pannels off (good thing business was slow that evening at the pumps) - Nothing Was Happening! :angry2: :angry2:

Then...

It hit me...

Hey DUMMY,
pull in the brake lever.

Gene Kranz was right... "Work the problem people, fix it, don't make it worse, work the simplest stuff first and then go to more complicated.

To think, the odometer had over 30k of my miles on it... :blush:

Extra kudos for figuring it out in the dark. Even with the flashlight I can see (no pun intended) that the kill switch would be all but invisible. Glad all worked out for you.

Been there, done that.

With heavy winter gloves sitting at a stop light, squeezing my hands to increase circ. thumb hits kill switch.

After all it's 'sposed to be an easy reach to kill the engine ain't it? :unsure:

And I thought that I was the only one that had unknowingly hit the kill switch.

It really grabs your attention doesn't it.

Bob

Two sources I've had dealings with very much suggest using the kill switch to turn off the engine every time one wants to shut it down. My MSF instructor (a New Orleans motorcycle police officer) who taught in the 80's at the local community college (yes I made 50 in Dec and took the class in 1980 my senior year in college) was one. And my electrical engineering and "electron techs" friends (the ones a bit anal) also. Like Moose above, the MSF guy's reasoning was that the rider would be very familiar with using the kill button and have a reflex to do so in an emergency. The electrical wizards say the key switch is bound to have a tiny arc each time the switch is cycled and it's best to use the kill switch before the ignition is turned off, and after it's turned on. The ignition switch would be protected from any electrical surges. I've never touched the kill switch as any kind of habit yet.

YMMV.

I used to ride with a smart ass in Germany that would ride up next to you and hit you kill switch. He also liked to do it when you were parked and not looking
One of my bikes for many years was a Cowasaki Vulcan 750. Nice "lil" bike. I made 3 or 4 Vulcan Gatherings a year: Texas Hill Country, Kentucky Lake, Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway in NC/VA, Eureka Springs. There was always folks who sold their Vulcan to purchase something else, usually another bigger Vulcan cruiser. But there was one "vocal" guy who went to the dark side and bought a Harley Softail Custom. We couldn't help ourselves a day or two into the Gathering and his constant banter of pro Harley. In the dark of the middle of the night, we engaged his kill switch and poured a cup of used oil under his engine. The next morning we cackeled as he was trying to figure out why it wouldn't start and how he had heard the oil leak problem HD was known about had all been fixed on their new, modern bikes.

Geez, I would never mess with someone's bike while in motion, and definitely would consider it a capitol offense if someone messed with mine while in motion.

But, I digress.

Patriot, from your pic you look like John Goodman's thinner brother?

Good to hear you're keeping them wackos from the Westboro Baptist Church away from service peoples funerals.

I can't imagine how I could ever control my anger if I ran into these nitwits.

Run into them, heck I may be on to something, start the truck

I've been kill switched many times, and not in neutraled, and even sidestanded.

Patriot, from your pic you look like John Goodman's thinner brother?Good to hear you're keeping them wackos from the Westboro Baptist Church away from service peoples funerals.

I can't imagine how I could ever control my anger if I ran into these nitwits.

Run into them, heck I may be on to something, start the truck

I've been kill switched many times, and not in neutraled, and even sidestanded.
Thanx Rol, we in the PGR vow to only use non violent and legal means to protect the family of the fallen

However, our friends in the Combat Vets, Legacy, and Vietnam Vets motorcycle clubs make no such vow !!!

And it's quite fullfilling for a hundred of us with 3x5 foot American flags flying in the breeze to sing at the top of our lungs to drown out the dreaded chants of our adversary...even go to the extreme to crank up our bikes (first time I wished I had straight pipes on my motorcycle) and rev them up to 4 or 5 k setting the throttle lock with our backs to the protestors.

And, in Mississippi, it's a statewide tradition to lock up them folks who show up at a funeral to protest for 24 hours, then drop all charges and let them go to return to Kansas where they came from.

I'm ashamed to say I attend a local Baptist Church currently with my family (Southern Baptist Convention affiliation) and to be associated with that church which has no truth in doctrine that I or any other sane person could accept.

John Goodman claims New Orleans is his home away from home. He and I both love the Parran's Po Boy (sandwhich) shop and their unique Seafood Muffaletta. He can eat a whole one; I cannot.

BTW, my sidestand switch is broken and by passed. When I'm extremely tired, I've been know to take off from the gas pump with it still down, turn left, and either head the scrape of it retracting, or feel the bike pivot on the thing and go hay wire. I priced it on the web, and can't seem to justify the $40 replacement cost. I guess if I come real close to dropping the bike and doo doo ing up the expensive tupperware, I might quickly change my mind.

Cheers,

Mike in Nawlins'

And, in Mississippi, it's a statewide tradition to lock up them folks who show up at a funeral to protest for 24 hours, then drop all charges and let them go to return to Kansas where they came from.
That's good. Even better you figured out what was wrong... I'll take the 'work the problem' mantra right next to 'just ride the bike' that I use when in tight spots.