Öhlins Spring ..... Way to determine rate??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RenoJohn

Reaction score
Naive_Experts_Logo_splash.gif

Got a few springs and now I've got them mixed up. Is it possible to determine the spring rate on an Öhlins spring by the markings on the spring??

100417_5408.jpg

100417_5408_a.jpg

Have some other springs (hyperpro, eibach, etc) and wonder if there is any universal language that can be translated by the markings:

spring_strom.JPG

I think the pink colored springs are for light-weight girlie-men. :blink:

If you can't find the answer on the net, you should be able to call a suspension shop who has access to the part numbers...the numbers printed on the springs should align with their catalog numbers (micro-fiche?) so they would know the rates of each spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Naive_Experts_Logo_splash.gif

Got a few springs and now I've got them mixed up. Is it possible to determine the spring rate on an Öhlins spring by the markings on the spring??

100417_5408.jpg

100417_5408_a.jpg

Have some other springs (hyperpro, eibach, etc) and wonder if there is any universal language that can be translated by the markings:

spring_strom.JPG
John

Yes

The Ohlins spring you have is 170nm rate. The standard Ohlins spring for the FJR is 130 nm. The 08 I bought had a 160nm spring, if you weigh over 300 lbs this may work for you.

I went back to the 130nm much better.

Eibach uses the KG unit of measure for springs , at least that is what I recall from the MX days

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi John, from the online eibach catalog. download catalog link

Look in the complete motosports catalog.

0800.225.0500= 8.00inch length, 2.25inch inside diameter, 500 lbs/inch spring rate

I used Google and came up with quite a few hits...
VFR Forum

Ducati Forum

Have fun!
Awesome, thanks much. this chart is a big help

ohlinsshocksprings.jpg

I think the pink colored springs are for light-weight girlie-men. :blink:
That's why I love ya man, you take the complex and make it simple -so even someone like me can understand.

JohnYes

The Ohlins spring you have is 170nm rate. The standard Ohlins spring for the FJR is 130 nm. The 08 I bought had a 160nm spring, if you weigh over 300 lbs this may work for you.

I went back to the 130nm much better.

Eibach uses the KG unit of measure for springs , at least that is what I recall from the MX days
Ya, that makes sense. I'll go on a rant about the smoke-n-mirrors of even the most respected suspension "guru's" at a later time. But yes, this is a very stiff spring. I replaced with a Hyperpro and want to now see what that spring is. I've tried enough that I can use my own derangement over the wide range of smoke-n-mirror advice out there.

Hi John, from the online eibach catalog. download catalog linkLook in the complete motosports catalog.

0800.225.0500= 8.00inch length, 2.25inch inside diameter, 500 lbs/inch spring rate
Golden info Thanks!! BTW: That spring is on a man-Strom shock

THANK much guys, and maybe some more wisdom will trickle in. I think I may try to consolidate in one place the way to read various spring manuf's data ...as well as put a conversion table together to more easily convert the various measurements KG/lbs mm/inches etc etc.