Shorai Battery - not good in cold

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rider_FJR

Reaction score
I just purchased a Shorai 18V battery. It appears like a great item, light weight, little on the pricy side, but I still wanted to get it and try it out.

It appears that it works well, when the battery is "warm" or on warm days, but when on cold days, bike does not want to start.

I did some research and found this.

I hear that lithium crank poorly when it gets cold, is that right?A.Lithium do increase in resistance more as temperature drops, compared to lead-acid. However, they also react to cranking under cold conditions in a much better way. Lead-acid will increase resistance on each subsequent cranking attempt, until it won’t turn over. If your LFX fails to start the engine on first crank, that first crank has warmed the battery, and the second attempt will be much stronger, and so on until you get a good start.

Shorai LFX are much better in cold-weather conditions than other-brand lithium starter batteries, due to our eXtreme-rate formulation with low resistance. Down to about 20 degrees fahrenheit (-7C) most users find that they can start normally on first crank. If your headlight comes on at key-ON, it is good for the batteries to flow some current before cranking in cold weather. The suggested headlight-on time before cranking depends on the temperature. If starting at 40f (5C), 30 seconds will help wake the battery and increase cranking performance. If at 0f (-17C), leave the lights on for 4~5 minutes before cranking. The result will be a better first crank, and longer battery life. Any other accessories that can be turned on before cranking can also be used for this purpose, such as heated gear, radio, etc...

I wish these works like the original none lithium batteries.

yes, when I mean cold, I'm talking about outdoor temps. South Barrington, Illinois. RT 59 and close to Higgins.

I got the 18 V battery couple weeks ago. Bike started fine when it was warm outside, 60F and higher. But, when temperature reaches 40’s and when the bike is sitting outside all night, on next morning, it does not start on first try. It takes few minutes to start it. I spoke with Shorai customer service department and they forwarded me to their web site, where it clearly states that these batteries do have a slow start in cold weather. They suggested that if my bike has running lights to turn then on for few minutes, before starting the bike. Now, I just try to start the bike, if it fails, I wait 5 minutes and try again and it starts. My intent was to ask if anyone else is experiencing similar and also to inform.

Now, it’s 50’s at night here in Chicago and there is no problem with starting the bike next morning. Something with the 40’s.

Thanks everyone. Talk to you later.

So Rider, It seems you have had no problem with starting your motorcycle, but have read the information you quoted and concluded that it means cold-weather performance is poor. I think you may have misinterpreted the information. With all the installtaions I am aware of here and on ADVrider, this is the first time a thread has stated that Shorai LiFePO4 batteries have poor cold-startup problems, and it's not even based on your personal experience or a known problem. Well done. :glare: Did you mean to ask a question, or was it your intent to make such a statement?

I got the 18 V battery couple weeks ago. Bike started fine when it was warm outside, 60F and higher. But, when temperature reaches 40’s and when the bike is sitting outside all night, on next morning, it does not start on first try. It takes few minutes to start it. I spoke with Shorai customer service department and they forwarded me to their web site, where it clearly states that these batteries do have a slow start in cold weather. They suggested that if my bike has running lights to turn then on for few minutes, before starting the bike. Now, I just try to start the bike, if it fails, I wait 5 minutes and try again and it starts. My intent was to ask if anyone else is experiencing similar and also to inform.

Now, it’s 50’s at night here in Chicago and there is no problem with starting the bike next morning. Something with the 40’s.

Thanks everyone. Talk to you later.

So Rider, It seems you have had no problem with starting your motorcycle, but have read the information you quoted and concluded that it means cold-weather performance is poor. I think you may have misinterpreted the information. With all the installtaions I am aware of here and on ADVrider, this is the first time a thread has stated that Shorai LiFePO4 batteries have poor cold-startup problems, and it's not even based on your personal experience or a known problem. Well done. :glare: Did you mean to ask a question, or was it your intent to make such a statement?

Thanks Rider...Appreciate the info. I still have the original battery in my '07 and one of these days it's going to be time to buy a new one. The Shorai is a battery I have considered, so I'm glad to know it freaks out in the cold. I ride a lot when it is really cold outside. Starting in the garage when it is cold outside would be one thing. However, if I was out on a ride and my bike had a "dead" battery, I would have been mad. I can guarantee you I would not have gone to the web-site thinking there may be cold start issues.

Don't worry about the barrage of useless responses around here...It's common.

FJR Headlight doesn't come on until the engine is running.

Why purchase a battery that has a known fault right out of the box?

None of this makes any sense, but hey - it's your hard earned $$$$.

Yes, it does exactly has the website says.

Word for word. So, this posting is more of a FYI.
Thanks for posting. Now I will know the reason why the bike did not start when the temps dropped. I as well, would not have read the fine print or the web site about the cold weather starting. I would have been cursing my investment in this battery. Having to wait 3 or 4 or 5 minutes is no biggie for me.

Willie

I simply try to start it. It fails, I wait 1 min, try again. fails. And again try couple of times and then the bike starts.

Yes, it does exactly has the website says.

Word for word. So, this posting is more of a FYI.
Thanks for posting. Now I will know the reason why the bike did not start when the temps dropped. I as well, would not have read the fine print or the web site about the cold weather starting. I would have been cursing my investment in this battery. Having to wait 3 or 4 or 5 minutes is no biggie for me.

Willie

I simply try to start it. It fails, I wait 1 min, try again. fails. And again try couple of times and then the bike starts.
Knowing this, I won't buy one. Screw that. The Yausa in my bike fires every time I touch the button. If I was that worried about 8lbs, I'd just take a dump before every ride.

I was thinking about getting a Shoria the next time I need a battery specifically because I expected it would provide more energy for more years than a lead/acid battery. Now that I know about the cold start issue I am less likely to try one. Starting in the cold is important where I live and I am not willing to turn on a device or two and wait around while the battery warms up.