Shorai Battery - not good in cold

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand what you are saying. For some it's no dig deal, but for others, well, they might think twice about it.

I was thinking about getting a Shoria the next time I need a battery specifically because I expected it would provide more energy for more years than a lead/acid battery. Now that I know about the cold start issue I am less likely to try one. Starting in the cold is important where I live and I am not willing to turn on a device or two and wait around while the battery warms up.

I didn't realize you were posting based on personal experience of non-start in the cold. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

...is the Datel Panel Meter

Two wire connection.

MVC-006F.jpg

Installed with the optional front bezel.

MVC-009F.jpg

Can I assume that if I turn the bike off, the meter will still be on, because I'm connected to the battery?
The meter has very low current consumption so you could do that and it would be ok as long as your motorcycle gets ridden every couple of weeks or so. Perhaps better, put a switch on it. Or, do like most people do and use a relay that turns on with the ignition and connects the meter directly to the battery.

...Or you could leave the meter on to kep your battery warm in the cold.

:lol:
Geezer, not funny at all...That is exactly what's recommended, if the initial cranking is slow in cold weather, to turn on some electric devices for a couple of minutes i.e headlights, radio to warm up the battery.
What the Hell am I supposed to do if I am running from flesh eating zombies during an Alaskan winter and have a Shorai battery intalled? Just as I get to my bike, and get all my personal safety equipment donned, I try to start the bike, and..........................................NOTHING.

In that scenario, there is no time to wait for the battery to warm up. That bike has to start and it has to start right NOW!

Instead...Now I'm dead and its all Shorai's fault. Losers!

Rider - Over on Brodies Shorai install post, you said that the Shorai LFX works real well, down to about 20º, although on this thread you didn't mention that info. Just sayin'.

Also Brodie lives in NorCal, while not the mid-west, it does get rather brisk in the mornings and we have not heard any negative feedback from him on this. I've asked brodie for an update to his post and as of yet, he has not responded.

Thanks for your info on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a danger of getting the plugs fouled trying to start it so many times before it firing?
Exactly my thoughts as well Mark. Trying to start the FJR (or any injected car) and getting a no start will be dumping fuel into the cylinders...more than a couple times and you're at an increased risk of fouling plugs. Seems FJRs are a little more susceptible to this issue.

Since I do a lot of riding [and starting] at lower temps...sometimes below freezing, this new battery technology is a (non-starter ;) ) for me.

--G