04 1150RT vs 06+ FJR 1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all the talks about ECU issues and snappy throttles, I expected something less refined.
The ECU and throttle cam issues can both be addressed if you buy used and get one of the bikes that had them. It's also great to slip off one of the 3 throttle springs like many here have and the throttle lighter.

While I can see where the FJR doesnt have as good of wind protection as the RT, it feels like it would be more than adequate and give better airflow in the summer.
The VStream is a barn door.

https://www.nationalcycle.com/newrelease/VStream.html

When riding in snow, you can turn your head and actually see the airstream swirl past your shoulders. Keep the stock shield for the summer.

My biggest drawback to the FJR came in suspension.
Were they both set up the same? In my experience, the Beemers do have better suspension, but then you can get aftermarket for the FJR if neither of the two settings suit you.

So now a few questions for you owners. What would be different in an 06 or 07 relative to the 2010 I just looked at? What if I looked at a 2008 model?
Biggest difference between the Gen2 bikes is color. Really, check out Iggy's comparo chart in the BinOFacts: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showforum=77

What options are there to improve the front suspenion of the FJR?
Try tuning it first: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=117110

Google: site:fjrforum.com fjr1300 forks "front suspension"

How much power can I draw on an FJR for accesories?
I've run a Gerbings jacket and gloves down to the teens, AM/FM, GPS, and used to have a set of PIAA 1100s on it with no problem. The aux lights depend on what you install and how high the engine speed is kept. After replacing the stock bulbs, the PIAAs weren't needed for my use, but I'm not running 100 mph on the desert at night. Don't know about the seat.

Thank you for the comparison. How do you find the comfort level between the 2? How do the vibrations in the grips of the FJR feel compared to the RT? Is the FJR suspension as plush as the RT's?
It is difficult to make a direct comparison to stock since both bikes have modified suspensions. The comfort level on both bikes is good, but then I have a Russell Day Long on the RT, and Helibars and Spencer seat mod on the FJR. The frequency of vibration is higher on the FJR but only at a narrow RPM range. The vibration on the RT has lower frequency over a broader RPM range but disappears completely at highway speed. The suspension on the RT is Ohlins front and rear while the FJR has a Hyperpro in the rear and front forks rebuilt by GP Suspension. Both bikes have PR2 tires at the same tire pressures so that element is taken out of the equation. I like 'em both. With these caveats, I think the RT may be a little more 'plush', but I would not consider throwing the FJR out of bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an '04 1150 RT for a couple of years and put 12k miles on it. I currently have an '08 FJR that I have had for a couple of years and have put 14k miles on it.

I did not / have not had any reliability issues with either bike, both worked flawlessly. I prefer the FJR over the RT, that's why I have one now.

The things I liked better on the RT than the FJR is a short list: bigger gas tank & longer range, better wind protection and heat management,

The things I like better on the FJR is a longer list with the most important items. Engine power and smoothness, handlebar controls, instrumentation, headlights, handling.

The difference in the items above are minor except for the engine, that's why my comments are brief. However, the power and smoothness of the FJR is way better than the RT.

But.......

I think they are both great bikes and it seems to me you are over analyzing this. I'd suggest you pick the one that grabs you in the gut or the heart. Once you have it down to these two, the head is not the best tool to pick the winner.

As I said on another forum; "FJR FTW!"

Hell yeah, I'm biased because my last bike was a BMW R1200ST, and that was one high maintenance beeoootch! Since I only own one bike at a time, ride most evey day, (commute and rip the twisties on the weekends.) BMW are not a good choice for me. Even though they are easy to work on, and even though I did all the work myself, the time I spent working on the thing was absurd. With the FJR it's just Gas Tires & Oil. (They shouda named it GTO!)

And I had a "whizzy" brake failure. (That '04 RT has those lame-ass whizzy brakes.) All it took was some dead bug juice to to make the micro switch for the brake light to stay on, which in turn, turned off the power to the power brakes. How F'in lame is that? Any company that makes a bikes with brakes that fail, can go pound sand.

I never had an FD failure but a friend did, and a ride with another friend was canceled after his ujoint failed. So it is a common problem not just internet hype.

The more I ride, the more I realize that the Japanese bikes are by far the best value. The Japanese listen to their riders and continue to improve their bikes. BMW are arrogant bastards that dictate how things should be, and you as a customer must like it. Well I don't like it, and I ain't give'in 'em any more of my hard earned money.

Oh yeah the differences;

Engine

BMW R1150RT= weak, (85hp at rear wheel) high maintenance paint shaker. (Doesn't BMW recommend valves checked every 6,000 mi?)

FJR= Powerful, (125 hp at rear wheel) smooth low maintenance.

Suspension, Front.

BMW = Goofy telelever, high un-sprung mass, very vague feed back, hard and expensive to work on front end.

FJR = Great easily, fully adjustable, easy and inexpensive front end that gives great feed back to the rider. The FJR does feel heavy at slower speeds around town.

Suspension, rear.

Both are O.K., but the FJR is better because the swing arm is longer, and you have more better choices for aftermarket shocks & springs.

Transmissions.

FJR hands down. Not only are the BMW way clunkier, but the stupid dry clutch is lame too. If an FJR has a tranny leak, (Highly unlikely) a little oil may seep out. If you have a little tranny leak with a BMW R bike, the oil with get on the clutch plates causing a clutch failure, causing you to split your bike in two to change the clutch and fix the leak. I've never changed the clutch on an FJR, but I did change the clutch on my old FJ1200, (at 85,000 mi) and it took me all of about 40 minutes, most of which was scraping off the old gasket!

Brakes

Them whizzy brakes are powerful, and might work good on an RT, but with my ST they were difficult to modulate, difficult to bleed, and you get that dreaded "ice patch" effect. What you're not familiar with that? It's when you brake real hard (From 80 mph to 40 mph) into a right hand corner, your rear wheel lifts & locks, the stupid BMW computer turns off the brakes, and you free wheel into the oncoming lane.

FJR brakes slightly less powerful, but more consistent and reliable and much easier to bleed or change pads.

So there's a few thoughts from a twisted, deranged little banjoboy on the 2 brands.

Good luck on whichever bike you choose.

Wise choice, cali_rider! Keep us apprised of your experience with the bike.
Thanks, I talked to the seller and I will be picking it up in 2 weeks. The bike needs a new battery since its been sitting for a few years. This gives me time to get a new one sent out. It needs new tires but the seller is giving me a new set of PR2's for it. I will definately be posting pics when I get it. Now its a dreaded long 2 week wait. I am like a kid at Christmas time.

I own both, an R1150RT, and an '04 FJR with ABS.I ride both regularly. The last long trip for the FJR was in the IB5000.

Brakes on both are excellent; BMW's with servo-assisted full integral system can be touchier. FJR brakes work better when the key is not turned on and you are gliding down the slope out of your garage (BMW riders know what I'm talking about).

Power is effortless with the FJR. The BMW is buzzier at all speeds.

The six-speed transmission on the BMW is a pain in the ass, as I find myself constantly shifting from 6th to 5th and back again at highway speeds in traffic. Five speed transmissions allow a more relaxed drive, although I wish there was an extra gear on the FJR that I could click into at 85 mph.

A gear indicator would be nice on the FJR.

FJR alternator power is an issue for those of us who run a lot of electronics and lights, but I managed without incident in the IB5K. The newer FJR's have more excess alternator power to play with.

Lights: I run an HID low in the RT. Very nice light. The FJR with its double headlight should have better capability, but even with two HID low beams it just barely matches the RT with its HID. My high beams are HID auxilliary lights and I can say that the Hella FF200's on the RT offer better crispness as compared to the two Optilux I have on the FJR. These are not bike specific obviously.

Comfort: It's hard to beat BMW ergonomics, but if you want to make the FJR feel like a BMW get some bar risers. The seating position will be almost identical to the BMW set up. The stock seat of the FJR is better than the stock seat of the RT. The low ground clearance is only an issue if you have a passenger and hit some dips in a curve. I had no problems last August, one-up but loaded.

The grips on the Yamaha are larger than the BMW grips. Different feel in the hands. You can get used to either.

You need to add a Powerlet or two for convenience on the FJR, if it doesn't already have a plug. BMWs generally come with 2 or 3 of them. Very handy.

I like using a magnetic tank bag on the FJR. Much handier than the BMW system.

Carrying capacity in the side bags is very similar.

The stock windshields are not bad, but the after market selections make things even better. I have a Cal Sci medium and stock with laminar lip on the FJR. It's a tossup. The RT has a Cee Baileys with a Euro Flip. Not as good in my opinion as the laminar lip on the FJR. Things are quieter behind the FJR winshield.

The RT is a taller bike and feels taller at low speeds but is very comfortable when under way. The FJR feels shorter and tighter (leaner and meaner) but the weight is almost identical.

The stock RT suspension is better in my personal opinion, but if the FJR is new and the suspension is fresh, you'll be quite happy with the FJR suspension. It will need an upgrade at some point when things begin to soften up (Penske, Ohlins,...)

That's about it. Very different bikes, very comfortable touring machines. I worry about my final drive every time I'm on the RT.

These days the FJR is my rally tool of choice.

Thanks Brick1. I pick up my 2007 2 weeks from today. I am pretty excited. The 2006+ have a gear indicatior which is one of the many reasons I chose a Gen 2. The bike I am picking up already has a Russell day long, motolights, a cee baily flip windshiel, heli bar triple clamps and a bunch of other stuff. It should be pretty ready to go. This is going to be the longest 2 weeks of my life.