04' fjr--42k

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fjryder

Reaction score
for the past 3-4k i have had to deal with oil splatter on the rear wheel....seems to happen when clock 110+ mph....anyone have same issue/ problems? what gives?

At those speeds, its probably just oil you've sucked out of the asphalt . Or possibly a rear end seal going bad.

I also get some sludge on my back rim...doesn't seem to matter...2004 with 112k miles

When changing the crankcase oil or the rear drive oil...all seems well with little or no reduction in volume

nothing done with the rear drive

must be FM

In my case it was dealer being over zealous with grease and slathering instead of lightly coating the axle and drive spline. I wouldn't be concerned unless after you reduce to a coating it still does it.

Apart from the obvious oil seal, you could also check the breather on top of the final drive. If this is clogged for some reason, then access air pressure (from heating of the final drive) cannot escape and will push oil out through the seals ...