'05 and '06 Compared by Memory

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ari Rankum

NAFO Karting Champion, 2012
Reaction score
I had an 05 that I put over 16K miles on in less than a year of riding. It died. I liked that bike so much that I bought an 06. I've only got 20 break-in miles on it (oil change in the morning), but a few differences stand out. Some may be imagined.

Instruments - the 06 dash is a big leap over the 05. The quality of the materials is much better. The aesthetics are a little better thought out - I always thought the turn signal indicators were comically large on the 05. The rotation of the tach so that 9K is right at 12 o'clock was a nice touch. I like the night-time tone of the lighting of the dials more on the 06. The new multifunction display is cool - and the constant display of 17MPG instantaneous mileage makes me feel at one with all the other 06 FJR owners, wherever they may be riding.

Controls - The headlight adjusters are a nice touch. My 05s were aimed in such a way that any front suspension movement would result in something resembling flashing my lights to drivers ahead. This caused more than one driver to start playing games with his brakes. The big honkin' clunk when shifting neutral to 1st is gone. The bars seem to be angled back a little more than on the 05. I could be imagining this. The feel is very comfortable.

Windscreen - definitely better wind protection.

Seat - Very nice improvement. It's definitely more comfortable for me.

Power - It don't think it pulls as hard as the 05 did at birth. It definitely doesn't pull as hard as the 05 did just before death, after being broken in and loosened up a bit. I need a few miles post break-in to really form an opinion.

Buzz - My 05 had pronounced buzz between 4K and 5K that went away with the first throttle body synch. This bike seems less buzzy at birth than the 05 was at birth, even though I don't think any design differences, including the taller final drive, would explain this.

Color - Man, I sure like this blue. I always thought the Galaxy Blue had too much purple. This blue is a little more "grown up" I think.

Heat - It was only 71F when I rode the bike, so there wouldn't have been much heat on the 05 either, but I didn't feel any on the 06.

Fairing - The strakes are gone, and I think that's good. Likewise, the panels were redesigned to allow fitting sliders without the fancy Moko adapter plate and fairing removal. That's very cool.

Curb Appeal - This is probably a tie, so far. The 05 would divert people's paths across parking lots to come ask questions. It also resulted in someone tracking me down in an auto parts store to ask about it. The '06 merely pulled every salesman away from what they were doing when the owner of the FJR showed up. Good thing there was lots of Honda Spray Cleaner on hand; there was lots of drool.

Thanks for the report...

Now that you're ridden both bikes (I know you're just getting to know the '06) but do you think the '06 is worth the extra money to upgrade an '05? I figure it would be ~ $3500 to change to the newer bike but always wondered if it would be worth it.

Also, how did your '05 die at 16k miles?

Thanks, SCM

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the report...

Now that you're ridden both bikes (I know you're just getting to know the '06) but do you think the '06 is worth the extra money to upgrade an '05?  I figure it would be ~ $3500 to change to the newer bike but always wondered if it would be worth it. 

Thanks, SCM
You're welcome.

No - I don't think it's worth the money. I loved my 05. There are a couple of things on the 06 I like better, but not enough to toss an 05 to get one. I think an 05 owner such as yourself is perfectly poised for Yamaha's continued improvement of the model. You've already got a great ride. Every year, the model is going to get better. I'd wait for something significant to make the change. I think a 6-speed tranny is imminent. I think Yamaha is getting enough grief over the alternator that it will be addressed soon, too. Lastly, if you wait until at least '07, you might get more than 17 mpg and an even better color.

Just keep waiting until it seems like a no-brainer. When it's time, you'll know.

I put the '05 through a deer in November. The wreck killed the bike and the deer. There are pics at https://www.bikenorthamerica.com/deer/

Thanks for the report...

Now that you're ridden both bikes (I know you're just getting to know the '06) but do you think the '06 is worth the extra money to upgrade an '05?  I figure it would be ~ $3500 to change to the newer bike but always wondered if it would be worth it. 

Thanks, SCM
You're welcome.

No - I don't think it's worth the money. I loved my 05. There are a couple of things on the 06 I like better, but not enough to toss an 05 to get one. I think an 05 owner such as yourself is perfectly poised for Yamaha's continued improvement of the model. You've already got a great ride. Every year, the model is going to get better. I'd wait for something significant to make the change. I think a 6-speed tranny is imminent. I think Yamaha is getting enough grief over the alternator that it will be addressed soon, too. Lastly, if you wait until at least '07, you might get more than 17 mpg and an even better color.

Just keep waiting until it seems like a no-brainer. When it's time, you'll know.

I put the '05 through a deer in November. The wreck killed the bike and the deer. There are pics at https://www.bikenorthamerica.com/deer/

Thanks... I'm planning on hanging onto this bike for a while but forums like this are great for posing these types of hypothetical questions.

By the way, nice looking deer (trophy). You should get one of those little "deer stickers" to paste on the side of your bike. ;)

Congrats and enjoy the new (improved) ride...

I have to admit, for a while I was feeling a little sad about buying a used 05 instead of waiting for an 06. But my 05 only had 1200 miles on it and that was a month ago. My broken arm has healed enough that I have been riding for about two weeks. Already have 1,000 miles added to the 05.

It's good to hear someone objectively look at both and offer an opinion. I think my plan will be for an 08 with AE.

I Agree. I had an 05 -very well farkled -and I loved it. I traded it for a BMW LT only because I knew I had ordered an 06 FJR.

I really like the 06...for me it is very nearly the perfect stock motorcycle! My biggest gripes with the 5 were suspension and seat so I bought a Sargent Seat and installed Wilbers shocks and it was a dream bike for me. The seat on the 06 is a definite improvement. However at the 250th mile yesterday I decided to get my bike up to Sargent! ...my perception is that the 6 is different! The ride seems MUCH better than my 5 and I dont feel the need for aftermarket shocks (yet)...could it be the extra length? ..different shocks? I don't know but believe me the ride is better. I like the new color better..personal preference of course...the windshield is a definite improvement although I will be looking for an aftermarket shield +2 +2. One of the nicest improvements in th 06 is the mirrors...they are actually usable on the 06...you don't have to ride down the highway looking at your shoulder sockets!

I think the 06 is a killer bike...an unbelievable value....having said that it isnt worth 3500 more than an 05 IMO.

Ride Safe,

Ron

The ride seems MUCH better than my 5 and I dont feel the need for aftermarket shocks (yet)...could it be the extra length? ..different shocks? I don't know but believe me the ride is better.
I was going to say something about this, but I decided not to, given only 20 miles so far in the saddle. What I've noticed so far is that the front end on the 06 feels more firm than the front on the 05. The rear firmness on the 06 when set to "soft" was somewhere between the hard and soft settings on the 05. I look forward to piling on some miles and accumulating a better impression.

Thanks for your additional comparisons.