05 electrical/ desmog questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenack

Reaction score
Hi all,

Since it's finally getting colder, I decided it was time to put on the symtec heated grips and a few powerlet outlets so I can plug in my Gerbing jacket and run my garmin, maybe an intercom system too with music. Anyway, since I'm not very knowlegeable on this bike, I'm asking for help!

1. Is there a yamaha plug somewhere that I can tie into for the heated grips? If not, can I just tap into the headlight harness like the symptec instruction say to do? or should I bring it back to blue seas distribution box???

2. I need at least 2 outlets up front and will probably wire every thing else direct to the blue sea box under the pillon seat. good idea or not?

3. While I have the bike apart, should I remove all the smog stuff? If so, what and how?

Thanks for any advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken

www.kenackerson.com

05 FJR

07 DR650

05 DL1000

Ken - maybe I should add this to the dumbest thing I've done thread, BUT - I put on Dual Star heaters and ran the power from the headlight wire. What I didn't realize is that I ran it to the low beam and - you guessed it - when I turned to the high beams the heaters went off! Took a while to figure that out and if fact in was a thread about a different situation that finally made the light bulb go on. I now have the grip heaters wired to my BlueSea. It's switched so even if I leave the heater switch on it won't drain the battery. You could run the power from the front marker light if you want. Good luck.

1 & 2 -- run everything off your Blue Sea (that is ignition switched using a relay to power the Blue Sea).

3. -- Why? There is nothing to be gained unless you are planning to do a full header + exhaust swap, then you will get some heat relief from removing the cat. Smog stuff: reed valves; O2 sensor (sort of); catcon; ECU software.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 & 2 -- run everything off your Blue Sea (that is ignition switched using a relay to power the Blue Sea).
3. -- Why? There is nothing to be gained unless you are planning to do a full header + exhaust swap, then you will get some heat relief from removing the cat. Smog stuff: reed valves; O2 sensor (sort of); catcon; ECU software.

Thanks guys! I'm running everything out of the BlueSea under the pillon seat.

Ken