'05 exhaust on '08 bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmeckel

Reaction score
A friend gave me the OEM exhaust from his '05 FJR. Can I use it on my '08, or should I just try to e-bay it? I don't need to replace my exhaust, but since he got rid of his bike he thought I could use it as a back up. Thanks in advance for the help U'm going to get

The Gen 1 cans don't have cats in them. If you had ever considered the "trooper" mod, they would be great for it.

The Gen 1 cans don't have cats in them. If you had ever considered the "trooper" mod, they would be great for it.
Pretty sure there are no cats in any of the current cans.
That kind of thinking can NOT be allowed on the FJR Forum!!

heresystamp.png

I picked up a set of Gen I cans and did the trooper mod to the max. Sounds great just right. You will have no problem putting them on.

Edit: Yes the GEN II cans have cats. I just walked into the garage with a flashlight and confirmed it.

Sorry FredW it is now fact. Will try and post a pick later.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a set of Gen I cans and did the trooper mod to the max. Sounds great just right. You will have no problem putting them on.

Edit: Yes the GEN II cans have cats. I just walked into the garage with a flashlight and confirmed it.

Dave
Fred won't believe you. Hell, you could cut open a Gen II exhaust and remove the cat right in front of him and he STILL wouldn't believe you. :p

Dave
Fred won't believe you. Hell, you could cut open a Gen II exhaust and remove the cat right in front of him and he STILL wouldn't believe you. :p
I don't believe it either.. PETA would have a fit if they knew Yamaha was stuffing cat's into exhaust's. Not to mention how Customs would feel about illegally imported felines. :eek:

You guys crack me up. Ok, now to put on my moron costume: What is the trooper mod? Do I want it. Is it fun?

Signed,

The Moron

You guys crack me up. Ok, now to put on my moron costume: What is the trooper mod? Do I want it. Is it fun?

Signed,

The Moron
The "Trooper Mod" is basically a weight-saving procedure, as near as I can figure it out...

You take an 1 1/2 inch hole saw on a drill and start drilling large, 38 millimeter chunks out of the fairings, the windscreen, tank, the wheels, the engine cases, seat, the frame...it's apparently a bunch of willy-nilly hole drilling that eventually gets the FJR down into the weight range of a Ducati Panigale. VERY effective, according to reports...but if you go too far, drill out ONE hole too much...the bike collapses in on itself, creating a miniature black hole where any and all photographic evidence of muffler-oriented catalytic converters gets sucked in, never to be seen in our plane-of-existence.

I guess somebody already has over-drilled their FJR, because no photographic evidence of a muffler-oriented catalytic converter apparently exists in our universe, and that's a shame, because there HAS been first-hand, physical and scientific proof that the "Trooper Mod', as it is called, created the phenomenon known as "Fart In A Bottle".

That alone is worth the price of admission.

Enjoy your time on the forum...soon this "Trooper Mod" will be outlawed as dangerous to the welfare of Planet Earth for its black hole generating tendencies. Heartland Security, the TSA and CERN are already investigating.

PLEASE be careful with your hole saws!

Yer a real Fungi Howie.. :lol: The guy I bought my bike from must have had a premonition.

A shitload of 1/4 holes drilled in mine. Fortunately in non critical areas that I was able to modify to keep it presentable.

I'll get some pics for ya.

Enjoy your time on the forum...soon this "Trooper Mod" will be outlawed as dangerous to the welfare of Planet Earth for its black hole generating tendencies. Heartland Security, the TSA and CERN are already investigating.

Yep, the EPA and their 80 db dope they're smoking.......I haven't decide pro trooper mod, as I'm weary of legislation trying to take away the fun. I bought my wife a EPA compliant Yoshimura pipe.....so she ain't getting in trouble as Black 'n White here in WA is looking deeper in to this matter. A friend of ours is a traffic Cop in Lakewood and he told me, soon they will go for that farkle....

darn I hate it, my cruiser has open Cobra pipes.....and sets off alarms :lol:

Signed,

The Moron
The "Trooper Mod" is basically a weight-saving procedure, as near as I can figure it out...

You take an 1 1/2 inch hole saw on a drill and start drilling large, 38 millimeter chunks out of the fairings, the windscreen, tank, the wheels, the engine cases, seat, the frame...it's apparently a bunch of willy-nilly hole drilling that eventually gets the FJR down into the weight range of a Ducati Panigale. VERY effective, according to reports...but if you go too far, drill out ONE hole too much...the bike collapses in on itself, creating a miniature black hole where any and all photographic evidence of muffler-oriented catalytic converters gets sucked in, never to be seen in our plane-of-existence.

I guess somebody already has over-drilled their FJR, because no photographic evidence of a muffler-oriented catalytic converter apparently exists in our universe, and that's a shame, because there HAS been first-hand, physical and scientific proof that the "Trooper Mod', as it is called, created the phenomenon known as "Fart In A Bottle".

That alone is worth the price of admission.

I got some ointment for mine.