05 FJR - Slipping 2nd Gear or Wheel-Spin ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1000 miles out of a (I assume rear) Pilot Road?? You are hard om that drivetrain.
I thought I was bad when I used to get 4k per tire.
Not any harder on this bike than I have been on all my others (riding "continuously" since 89),

just "ahem" sustained high speeds tend to destroy tires VERY quickly

.... I am VERY disappointed that a bike which I bought for reputed "bomb-proof" reliability turns out to have a "known" problem with a weak transmission

:angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

my two previous bikes were triumph speed triples ... never a problem, used the first one for 60K, second one for 30K (canyons and commuting)

(got a 675 for canyons - 20K, no problems, and she is always ridden hard)

If I'd have known that the FJR transmission was going to fail at 18K, I'd have spent the extra and got a beemer ....

.... ah well .... lesson learned ....
You're right. The FJR is definitely not for you. Go get a BMW.

You're right. The FJR is definitely not for you. Go get a BMW.
Beemer comment was TIC

Only slipping a tiny bit now .... I'll just take it easy (no WFO above 6 grand in 2nd :( :angry: :( :angry: :( :angry: ) till Triumph comes out with something better than a Feejer ;)

.... or second gear gets as bad as some of the really unfortunate FJR owners I've read about here ....

Until she started being a beatch (above 6 grand in 2nd), I loved my feejer .... :(

... just glad my wife doesn't skip a tooth above 6 grand in 2nd .... :D

I rode my 400 bandit (2nd bike) with a shagged 2nd gear for 3 years

I may be having a similar issue. I read all the posts you guys have linked to but they don't seem to describe my problem.In no other gear than 2nd....mildly hard on the throttle (not wide open...maybe half)...It feels like the shaft is "skipping"...like a record. The bike doesn't pop out of 2nd gear but will continue to "skip" until I shift to third....
That is the problem.

The trans. doesn't pop out of gear completely -- like back into neutral -- but, keeps trying to stay in 2nd. But can't because of worn dogs on the gears -- the dogs won't hold.

Trans. repair w/new parts is the only way to rectify. :(

Trans. repair w/new parts is the only way to rectify. :(
Dammit...that *really* sucks....And I bet it's an issue that is only going to get worse, isn't it? Which means, I'm going to have to take it in to get fixed ASAP.....Jesus...if it's not one thing, it's another in my sorry life...

Anyone know if this is a warranty issue?

faster675, the newer bikes have a different arrangement in second gear, more dogs. Replacement parts, if it comes to that, will also have that, from what I understand. Supposedly a bit of grinding to put the surfaces back in order will save the parts that are in the gearbox right now. They're just not very easy to get to. . . . .

faster675, the newer bikes have a different arrangement in second gear, more dogs. Replacement parts, if it comes to that, will also have that, from what I understand.
Good !

That makes me think that the replacement parts will make 2nd gear more robust, with less chance of a repeated failure ....

Folks,

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I fear I have the same problem, a worn gear dog. I'm not upset as the bike does have high mileage. My question: Where could I access information on "how to" repair this problem. Does anyone on this forum have experience with this? I cannot do this myself and do not want to spend shop rates on a high mileage 2003. I'd like to offer someone extra pocket money to take on a winter projetc to fix this problem, but I don't know if it's a 4 hour job or a 30 hour job? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

...but I don't know if it's a 4 hour job or a 30 hour job? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Not to put too fine a point on it -- (some of) the miscreant parts involved in the remedy for 'jumping out of gear' are the last pieces you remove from the engine (on complete disassembly) and the first parts you re-install (after first removing the complete engine assy.). Transmission repair doesn't (nec.) require engine top-end disassembly, tho.

Still, be prepared for a big labor bill.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes. .. It was a big bill for trans repair. ... i bit the bullet back in '09 and had it fixed. ... Now, 30,000 miles later, it is doing the same thing again (worn dogs? skipping in 2nd at hard accel) .... Is guess these bikes just cant handle day-in day-out lane splitting like a hoonigan. ... Oh. .. Adn i NEVER shifted without the clutch and never missed a shift after the trans was rebuilt seven years ago. ....