05' gets squirrely at high speed with windshield up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-T

Reaction score
I had my neighbor ride my new 05' today to check it since I don't know how to ride the bike yet and he does. He said over 100 the bike got kinda squirrely with the windscreen all the way up. When he lowered it some he said that the problem corrected itself. I noticed the same thing at about 85.

If I get a CeeBaily windscreen that is 4+2 will it make the problem worse or better or unchanged? T.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it have a top case?

It does get more buffety over 100 with windshield up regardless of stock or aftermarket...and most lower the windshield at that speed anyway to reduce drag. The thought of FJR Max with windshield all the way up would give me the willies!

i find that mine does not get squirrelly unless i forget and leave my nuts on the seat ;)

with the shield in the up position, i'm fine up to about 110-115 before it starts getting squirrelly. after that i just drop the shield till it levels out

but then i again i NEVER go over the speed limit on public roads :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
He said over 100 the bike got kinda squirrely with the windscreen all the way up. When he lowered it some he said that the problem corrected itself. I noticed the same thing.
If I get a CeeBaily windscreen that is 4+2 will it make the problem worse or better or unchanged? T.
I've had my '05 at a very high rate of speed (135, closed course, private property, additional disclaimers to appease the CHP) with no problem. I have a CeeBailey +4+2 with Skyway spacers. When I am If I were going to run at high speed I usually would lower my windshield to help the aerodynamics.

I have been well over a ton while passing a line of traffic and mine is not unstable, even with the Givi topcase. I've heard of others who experience "wobble" or "swerving" with the OEM topcase. Maybe I got lucky and bought the "one and only"?

If your bike has a topcase on it, it has a very high chance of getting a case of the 'wobbles' at high speeds. I've 'heard' that above about 115 the ass end of my a FJR starts to wabble a bit, and only gets worse from there.

I've taken my FJR to speeds well over what your speaking of and have not had problems with my Cee Bailies +2+2 as long as I did not have a topcase on. I admit I didn't raise my shield too high when doing those speeds because I didn't want to put that much stress/pressure on the windshield motor.

Check your tire pressure.

Usual suspect and cheap to fix if that's the problem

Bill

I recently added a vstream, did not notice that with either windscreen. I usually keep mine full up at high speeds for less noise.

[SIZE=24pt]SLOW YOUR ASS DOWN!!! [/SIZE] That will fix it. Especially, since you don't know how to ride the bike.

Unbelievable!!!! This isn't a good time to bring up the fact that you are concerned with traveling 100 MPH and can't handle the bike. MSF?? If not, take the class soon.

Sorry to be so hard on you but it might save your life and you might thank me later.....We need that around here.

[SIZE=24pt]SLOW YOUR ASS DOWN!!! [/SIZE] That will fix it. Especially, since you don't know how to ride the bike.
Unbelievable!!!! This isn't a good time to bring up the fact that you are concerned with traveling 100 MPH and can't handle the bike. MSF?? If not, take the class soon.

Sorry to be so hard on you but it might save your life and you might thank me later.....We need that around here.
AMEN Raclow!! My FJR is for cruising distance in comfort.Cresson Motosport Park is for acting a fool on my Suzuki!Save your speed for closed courses!

After you get used to pushing it over 100 or so you get used to the wobble affect. Or just keep the windshield down!

Good suggestion MOM. Took the MSF class and I promise you there was not much I learned from that course that made me qualified to ride a two wheeled vehicle at speeds over 70 MPH in a turn without real life riding experience first. However I have been riding my Vtwin cruisers nearly everyday for the last year and bought this bike to allow me to do a little more than cruise comfortably at 65 while getting the boys shaken up. I know this is a different type of bike but my question was about the windshield at 85 and above. That is why I had my neighbor ride it fast because of his experience riding sports bikes. He got it up to 145MPH and said the bike was sweet and he had no problems except for the unstable condition above 100 with the windscreen all the way up. If I can't ride the thing above 85 without it riding unstable I will get rid of it and just ride my cruisers. Sorry to be so hard on you but I am not an idiot. Maybe a little crazy but who isn't when they jump aboard a scooter that can reach speeds in excess of 150MPH. I will probably never get the thing above 100 but if I am getting chased on my next moonshine run I want to able to get on down the road without having to spend any time in the hoosgow. T.

Big T: Mine is an 05 and it never got squirrley with the screen up or down.

It was fairly stable no wobble though. Now that I have done the suspension and put a Super Brace 0n it, it is stable at all

speeds. You were given one idea to check, that was tire pressure, now check your tires most likely they need to be renewed, as well as front bearings, and steering bearings.

Don't you know what speed can do? good luck

Good suggestion MOM. Took the MSF class and I promise you there was not much I learned from that course that made me qualified to ride a two wheeled vehicle at speeds over 70 MPH in a turn without real life riding experience first. However I have been riding my Vtwin cruisers nearly everyday for the last year and bought this bike to allow me to do a little more than cruise comfortably at 65 while getting the boys shaken up. I know this is a different type of bike but my question was about the windshield at 85 and above. That is why I had my neighbor ride it fast because of his experience riding sports bikes. He got it up to 145MPH and said the bike was sweet and he had no problems except for the unstable condition above 100 with the windscreen all the way up. If I can't ride the thing above 85 without it riding unstable I will get rid of it and just ride my cruisers. Sorry to be so hard on you but I am not an idiot. Maybe a little crazy but who isn't when they jump aboard a scooter that can reach speeds in excess of 150MPH. I will probably never get the thing above 100 but if I am getting chased on my next moonshine run I want to able to get on down the road without having to spend any time in the hoosgow. T.
Maybe you need your MOM to jerk a knot in your tail. Maybe you need to stick with cruisers???

You admit you can't handle the bike and you are concerned about high speeds and the windshield causing a wobble.....go figure. You have a whole lot more to worry about than the wobble. You need to make sure you can stay alive and handle the bike FIRST. Then tell us you have a wobble at high speeds because you have experience riding this bike.

Also, you seem like all you are interested in is running from the cops on a bike you can't handle....I don't know what to think of you but I know this.......if you don't learn to respect this bike (or any other bike) you won't live long enough to gain the experience you so need.

Just because the bike will go 145 MPH doesn't mean you are ready to travel at those speeds. Plus, what state do you travel in that has a posted speed limit over 85 MPH????

So you are saying we are crazy for jumping on a bike that can go 150 MPH?? Riding a bike than can go 150 MPH isn't crazy. Riding this bike at 100 MPH+ for you is crazy. You go right ahead and I wish you the best.

Your right, I shouldn't treat you like your MOM. I should take your keys away from you, like a friend, until you grow up and prove to your friend that you respect the power of your bike.

BigT, welcome to the forum. Everyone is a bit shakey, forlorn and edgy after the reports this weekend. That, and 3 forum members have gone down in the last week.

I know this is a different type of bike but my question was about the windshield at 85 and above. That is why I had my neighbor ride it fast because of his experience riding sports bikes.
I will take the position that you weren't comfortable on a "new to you" bike and let your experienced friend take it for a test ride. SInce you will be riding it, once you are comfortable with the handling and other characteristics, when nearing the higher speeds you mention (Not 150, it won't go that fast) be sure to lower the windshield to reduce stress on the electric motor, attachments and hinges and increase the aerodynamics. It will be extremely stable.

Go put some miles on your FJR and become a proficient sport-touring rider.

BigT, welcome to the forum. Everyone is a bit shakey, forlorn and edgy after the reports this weekend. That, and 3 forum members have gone down in the last week.
Go put some miles on your FJR and become a proficient sport-touring rider.
+1 Gunnnneeee!!