05 vs 09

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no1passesme

Reaction score
Thought I'd post a couple pics of my old and new FJRs (gives me a chance to figure out how to post pictures, too) . . . :)

If all goes well, here they are:

I have a few more I can post if anyone's interested.

btw, the 05 is for sale . . . ;)

Looks a bit like this

IMG_0482a.jpg

but the 05 is not for sale...unless someone really wants it and promises to give it a good home. :rolleyes:

I'm confussed!!!! Your '09 has silver wheels and a silver panel between the tank and the side panel. I also see a clutch lever. I thought all 2009 FJR's had black wheels except for the AE model. My '09 has the black wheels and all the panels are black. What am I missing?

Thanks, I thought I was losing it. That has to be a tough decision.... which FJR do I ride today? I wish I had those kind of problems in my life!!!! :)

LOL . . . all good questions! Let's see . . .

"Nice little stable there. I see a Corbin seat, lighting, Givi rack. Posted it yet? Details?"

SacramentoMike: It was posted on the Sacramento Craigslist, expired today. Here are the specs:

2005 Yamaha FJR1300

• Excellent condition, never dropped, ridden responsibly

• Original owner with clear title

• Mileage: under 12,500

• New tires and battery at 10,000 miles

• ABS brakes

• Service manual included

Farkles (extras)

• Custom Corbin seat, black with grey piping, with removable backrest (original seat included)

• Shad SH46 color matched top case with brake light (reduced price if not needed)

• Complete Holeshot header/muffler system with black tailpipes (original pipes available)

• Dynojet Power Commander III loaded with Holeshot custom mapping

• Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control system installed

• Heli bar risers

• PIAA 1100X driving lights

"I'd be interested in your assessment of the ergonomic and engine performance differences."

"A comparo would be greatly appreciated. Power, handling, heat, wind protection, comfort, performance etc. "

I just completed 400 miles on the 09. Engine performance feels pretty much identical. I bit more HP on the 05, mostly due to the Holeshot headers and pipes, I believe. And if you haven't heard the Holeshot header system, I think that's one thing I miss the most. Bar position on the 09 is better than when the 05 was stock, but not as good since I have the Heli risers on the 05 (gonna need that farkle, I think). I'm about 6 feet tall and have the 09 seat in the low position and it feels almost the same height wise. The 09 is cooler as far as engine heat ... haven't tried it with the side vents in the out position. Handling is about the same, tho I haven't had the 09 up in the twisties without the S.O. on the back, so haven't really pushed it yet. Wind protection is better . . . with the shield down, I get hit in the chest the same on both bikes, maybe a little less on the 09. As long as it's not cold, I actually like the wind hitting me there. With it up or all the way up, the 09 has much less helmet buffeting/recirculation. I'd attribute that to the better venting below the shield and through the faring.

"no1passesme - Why the 09? That 05 looks sweet!"

Actually, I prefer the black bike, but yes, the 05 is not hard on the eyes either. When the 08 came out (after I wasn't impressed with the Black Cherry), I was thinking of picking one up in 09 for a deal. When the 09 came out with the black wheels, I really caught the bug. I've already spoken to Dale at Holeshot and once I'm funded, I'm gonna get his headers, black pipes, and he even said he'd powercoat the hangers black for me . . . once that's all done along with my other "catch up" farkles, we'll see if the 09 can compete in the looks dept!!!

(after I wasn't impressed with the Black Cherry)

Did I hear you correctly? Are you Freakin' nuts? Do you turn up your nose at the Mona Lisa, a 57' Chevy, Paris or Nichole Kidman? Does the thought of a week in Cabo, Belgian Chocolate, P.G. Wodehouse, or a Platinum, no limit, American Express card issued by the Mustang Ranch leave you with the feeling that there must be more to life? Has your joie de vivre got up and left? When asked to critique Beethoven all you can come up with is "well, he's no Mozart". However, I'm a forgiving man, and as Confucius once said to Sigmund Freud (Confucius was quite old at the time, and Freud was in his teens), "Dark Cherry is like the sheen that glistens on the back of the fruit fly." It's rumored that Freud's responce was "Huh?" In Confucius's defense, the ancient Chinese word for fruit fly and ipod were the same, so there may have been some confusion. See you around, no1passesme, you've got the best of two worlds.

I am in a holding pattern to see what they do for the Gen III bike whenever that may be? I love those black bikes and they are easy on the eyes.