'06-'07 fork springs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC

The 03 was a 40mm fork , the 04+ are 42mm

The 06 added an extra bushing which may affect length

HyperPro makes one spring that fits all years FJRs. The spring has a machined billet cup at the bottom that has two different recesses in it. That makes the spring fit the different seats/lengths for the two generations of bikes. Based on that information, the OEM springs are similar, but not really interchangeable.

I have a pair of each OEM springs sitting in my garage. The 2nd generation springs appear to be slightly smaller diameter wire, too.

You could probably make the later year springs work, but I'd just go with the aftermarket springs. There's lots of good choices out there.

HyperPro makes one spring that fits all years FJRs. The spring has a machined billet cup at the bottom that has two different recesses in it. That makes the spring fit the different seats/lengths for the two generations of bikes. Based on that information, the OEM springs are similar, but not really interchangeable.
I have a pair of each OEM springs sitting in my garage. The 2nd generation springs appear to be slightly smaller diameter wire, too.

You could probably make the later year springs work, but I'd just go with the aftermarket springs. There's lots of good choices out there.
Yeah, I have Wilbers in right now and not impressed! I've played with them (oil height & weight & preload), but to no avail. Rode an '06 and it had the ride I'm looking for, or pretty damn close to it.

I'm thinking they will, but wondering if the spacers are different lengths. Anyone know or have some '06+ they want to sell?
I have some '05s

Rick
Well, I appreciate it, but was really looking for some '06+. If the springs won't fit, guess I'll have to look for some '06 forks/trees then! lol

Well, I installed the '06 springs in my '03 today. Big improvement over the stock '03 springs or the Wilbers. Ended up leaving the spacers alone, they were 149mm (same as '06). Set the oil height to 92mm (same as the the '06). Used BelRay 10wt. oil. Started out at 3rd line preload and ended up at 4th from max. Rebound was set to 12 as stock and I changed to 9. Compression I left as stock 12. Ride is nice! Tracks way better! No more jumping centerlines and feeling every expansion joint/crack, but does not dive excessive under hard braking. Way better than the stock springs were. Maybe I just got some bad springs from Wilbers, I don't know. They had just way too much preload (I even had the adjusters backed all the way off). Anyone wanting a better ride out of their wimpy '03 front end, I highly recommend this swap!

And a BIG thanks to FJRocket!

Last edited by a moderator: