'06 buzz through the bars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark G

Reaction score
Although I've had my bike since April, I've not been able to ride it since the first week I had it. Today I decided to try again (busted tailbone) and put about 65 miles on the bike. I got home about 45 minutes ago, and my hands still have that "buzzy" feeling. I have grip puppies already. I was surprised at this.

thats the nature of the beast. It shouldnt be all that noticable below 5,000 rpm's. thats when it really gets going. If it thats bad, you may want to try a throttle body sync and barbarian modification. Dont expect it to go away completely. I've rode 400 mile days before at "above average" speeds without issue (and i pretty sensative to those types of issues). Now about 5 grand, thats a different story. Even the moto mags comment on the buzz. But if you getting into those rpm ranges on this missile, that buzz is the last thing you should be concentrating on.

GreyGoose

Mine used to be bad on my right hand. My fix was to get a Throttle Rocker. That took care of it.

Things I keep reading are to check to make sure everything attached is tight and torqued properly. Everything = everything.

I noticed the same problem with mine, especially during the break in period. It was pretty bad, my hands would go numb after any long riding and sometimes my feet also.

After I had the first service completed and put more miles on the FJR I didn't feel the buzzing anymore. Maybe you just need to put more miles on it.

Mine does it also. I have 3,000 miles on mine since May 10th, and I do NOT get used to it. I have dealt with it by adding a Vista Cruise to give a break to my hand. Removing the center spring did help - it now takes about 30 minutes for the tingling to set in.

Last edited by a moderator:
8K miles on mine since Apr. 22. Put Grip Puppies on it. Haven't had any problems with buziness in the bars. My longest ride in a day so far has been 560 miles.

All the Feej's have a harmonic between 4 thou and 4500, which, on the earlier models was right in the freeway speed range, 70-80 mph. A TBS, both idle and a 4 thou, will diminish but not eliminate it, as will a PCIII. Though much changed on the 06, the bike appears to have more parent DNA than some are willing to admit. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, fellas. Based on your comments, I'm thinking throttle body sync. I rode it over 400 miles the first day I had it, no issues at all.

I just passed 1,000 today :( :(

Won't be getting back on it any time soon. :( :(

I would have to agree with the comments concerning getting more miles behind you. The buzz has definitly decreased as i get more and more miles on this bike (and not becuase i'm getting use to it). Shifting also required alot of effort initially, but has also smoothed out over time. I would not have believed it if i didnt experience this phenomana first hand.

GreyGoose

This is interesting to me.

I've been breaking in my new 06, and coming off the ZX I thought it was a little buzzy too but not too bad. Considering the bike I switched from I thought I would get less.

I haven't had much of an issue but I've also stayed off the highway since I've been "Breaking It In".

Well that changed a bit tonight, I ran about 30 miles up the freeway at various RPMs. What got me wasn't the buzz in the bars but the buzz in the pegs. Holy cow. Now I didn't have my riding boots on (shame on me) but I was rather shocked by the amount of buzz.

I'm going to do the 600 mile service Sunday and sync the throttle bodies too, we'll see if that makes any difference.

I too have the common vibration from 4200 or so to about 5k and change...it still has vibes beyond that but they seem less or just a different frequency.

Here's what I've done:

Torque everything possible on the front end

barbarian mod--+7

grip puppies

throttlemiester heavy duty

TB sync...just had 600 mile service done

Bike is a 3 week old 06

Does anybody have a cure?!?!?

This is the ONLY issue I have with the bike...I come from riding a BMW K1200LT which was turbine smooth. Having said that, there was a very noticeable vibration at 4500rpm which turned out to be a resonance point of the exaust...I changed to a Remus exaust and it completely cured the vibes on the bimmer. Could there be such a solution for the FJR???

Or am I destined to live with these vibes...I understand that the bike is new but many people have described these vibes with higher mileage.

I think that finding a cure will be an exercise in frustration. It is obviously a problem with the basic engine vibration. I think the engine just naturally generates an internal vibration.

One think I have thought about, but not tried yet is to get a piece of rubber gasket material and sandwich it under the handlebar mounts. I may try that and put the bigger bar end weights from my Goldwing on it (I have already tried that by itself and it did not help).

I feel the vibes in the right footpeg and the seat. Would love to lose them.

Interesting....I really don't feel a buzz in the footpegs. Could be the Sidi boots?? I feel it in the bars, esp. on my '03 (send prayers) so I installed the throttlemeister and I changed to Olympia gel padded gloves - whoa! Those things work well!

Pnut

thats the nature of the beast. It shouldnt be all that noticable below 5,000 rpm's. thats when it really gets going. If it thats bad, you may want to try a throttle body sync and barbarian modification. Dont expect it to go away completely. I've rode 400 mile days before at "above average" speeds without issue (and i pretty sensative to those types of issues). Now about 5 grand, thats a different story. Even the moto mags comment on the buzz. But if you getting into those rpm ranges on this missile, that buzz is the last thing you should be concentrating on.
GreyGoose
I agree with you sorta, but then again, I feel when you're getting into these rpms, a buzz is that last thing that should be diverting your concentration away from the road....as I just returned my second ride today......the bike feel like it was at home in the 4500-5000 RPM range.....not only does the engine purr, but the aerodynamics at that speed push it down on the road....(my Porsche did the same thing around 100 MPH). Put the shield about 1/3 of the way up at the speed and it makes for a very enjoyable ride....EXCEPT FOR THE THAT FREAKING BUZZ!!!! I'm gonna give it a while to go away, and if it doesn't.....it's outa here.......But I sure hope it does, as I too I'm sitting here typing this in a momentary state of disbelief (pissed that this is even an issue) that in the year 2006 Yamaha (OWNED BY THE BIGGEST AUTO MAKER IN THE WORLD- TOYOTAWHO PRODUCES THE SMOOTHEST ENGINES IN THE WORLD FOR THIER FLAGSHIP LEXUS),,,,,,can't produce a high HP motorcycle engine that rivals in smoothness of the motor Honda produced back 23 years ago for thier 1983 V-65 MAGNA.... I honestly thought the FJR would be the KING OF SMOOTH and that’d be the last thing I’d have to worry about........My hands are still numb...

It's always something....

my buzz isn't bad, or i'm just a numbnuts, but i don't feel any appreciable buzz through the pegs, and i'm coming off a valkyrie. that boxer 6 is SMMOOOOOTH. i did add some stout bar end weights that sunnyside had when i picked the scoot up. they're machined billet and look really nice. when my skyway's get here, they'll freakin match!

i do use grip puppies, have gel palms in one pair of my gloves (summer shorties) and just don't feel it too much. you know, you only need the DEATH grip when romping.... soften hands, grip tank with knees? i dunno. did my own fluids, and still haven't gotten in to do the TBS. maybe mine'll be buzzier after it's "fixed"...

good luck,

shu

Point of order. An in-line design will ALWAYS feel different than a V design.
Yes, of course, and I had no idea when starting this thread it'd turn into a litany. With my extremely limited seat time on the bike, and with the intervals between rides approaching three months, I was expressing surprise, not dismay, at the buzzing through the bars and at higher rpms, through the pegs. I hadn't noticed either, at all, when I picked the bike up from Tony O, and rode it more than 400 miles home.

I'll fiddle with settings, with torque values, and then just ride...someday, some happy day in the hazy future, when tailbones don't throb, cancer is cured, and we all wear silver suits and our cars run on seawater....