'06 FJR Pricing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again, California gets pooched.
"You ask me how come I don't live here

Honey, how come you don't move?"

--Bob Dylan

If the automatic shifter/clutch worked well I'd love it. Don't know that I'd pay $1500 for it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I am the odd man out here. When I see aggressive pricing like that, I think of how it hurts the used market and local dealers. I bought an 05 three months ago. The dealers in my area were asking list or near list for their bikes. I have no problem with people getting the best priced they can and I found better deals than my local dealer offered me. However, I chose to buy from him. I recieved some discount and a free 600 mile service, but just under $12,000 for an 06 just kills the resale value of mine.

I used to have a friend who was a Ducati dealer. There was no one else even close to him and he was able to get full retail out of his bikes. When Ducati began to push a little harder for a better dealer network (a good thing), it created some mega dealerships who used huge discounts to draw people in from all over the region. My friend could not compete with this and dropped the line.

I realize as a consumer, we all want the best price and most of you wont' share my sentiment, but hey, that's just my .02 cents!

I guess I am the odd man out here. When I see aggressive pricing like that, I think of how it hurts the used market and local dealers. I bought an 05 three months ago. The dealers in my area were asking list or near list for their bikes. I have no problem with people getting the best priced they can and I found better deals than my local dealer offered me. However, I chose to buy from him. I recieved some discount and a free 600 mile service, but just under $12,000 for an 06 just kills the resale value of mine.
I used to have a friend who was a Ducati dealer. There was no one else even close to him and he was able to get full retail out of his bikes. When Ducati began to push a little harder for a better dealer network (a good thing), it created some mega dealerships who used huge discounts to draw people in from all over the region. My friend could not compete with this and dropped the line.

I realize as a consumer, we all want the best price and most of you wont' share my sentiment, but hey, that's just my .02 cents!
Does it hurt the local dealer? Probably a bit, but, for the couple of bucks they might lose on the sale of 2 or 3 FJRs, he'll more than make up for it on the tons of cruisers that he'll sell.

Does it hurt resale? Well, dealers were selling '04s and '05s for about $10K, yet, I've seen many of them go on the used market for $9K or more.

progressive gave me $11,200 for my totalled '05 which i'd ridden for 11 months... new, i'd paid $11,400 locally in '04...

not much of a value loss to me...

Not really trying to spark any debate; heck, I rarely ever post about anything. I was just suprised to find the offer in the forum. I guess I am just one of those old-fashioned, hang out at the local dealer, kick tires and talk bikes kind of guys. So when it comes to handing out my money, I like to give it to the local guy.

As for prices, I paid $12,400 with no 600 mile service charge for my 05/ABS a couple months ago. The dealer was quoting the new $13,199 price to me. I knew there were better deals but I wanted to buy from him, so I bought it anyway. When I see people offer their used 05's W/ABS on the web for $10,000 or less, I see a big loss for me.

Shep

Not really trying to spark any debate; heck, I rarely ever post about anything. I was just suprised to find the offer in the forum. I guess I am just one of those old-fashioned, hang out at the local dealer, kick tires and talk bikes kind of guys. So when it comes to handing out my money, I like to give it to the local guy.
Well if I owned a dealership or was a salesman and was willing to give a deal I would post on evey forum I could find! Its just smart business and free advertising!

When I see people offer their used 05's W/ABS on the web for $10,000 or less, I see a big loss for me.
Shep - While you see a big loss for you, they might not see it as much of a loss if they got it originally for about $11,000.

btw...

kbb.com puts the suggested retail value of a 2005 ABS FJR at $10,415

:D

One things for sure, no matter what you sell or buy the bike for, Yamaha already made their profit the moment the dealer recieved the product with no negotiating!

I do most assuredly agree if you can support your local dealer, please do! I believe most not all dealers are in business to stay in business, heck I don't blame anyone for getting the best deal they can, we have had business from alll over the US. Some come for the best deal , and some come because they see our support for the FJR community in other ways!

We believe that giving a fair deal is important, and builds long term realtionshps, and also enables us to provide free technical clinics to the FJR community that further bonds us all together!

Some day Yamaha will get smart and end this PDP program, this is so short sighted on their part, the ST1300 forums are full of people who would ride an FJR if they could have sat on one and ridden one but unfortunately Yamaha in ignorance is not willing to listen to their customers (the dealer). Sorry for lamenting on the pdp program the only way we will ever get an FJR is to Fraudulently make up some bogus info and order one but unfortunatley I am unwilling to do this!

:2handed: :2handed:

For all of the northern mid-westeners out there. Stevens Cycle in Bay City, MI is offering the standard shift fer yourself model for $11,995 + TT&L. :rolleyes:

Phone 989-667-0880, ask for Lori. Tell 'em escape sent ya.

--G

Called the dealer I bought my `03 from today. He said he just had finished his math (lol).

1300A------$11,999

1300EA-----$13,549

Birds Yamaha

Patoka, IL. (southern IL.)

(618) 432-5555

No connection, just a satisfied customer.

Hey Shep - you know, instead of already thinking about selling, why don't you ride it and think about keeping it. Seems like you're paying for a loan you may never take out...

TahoeBound,

Hey Shep - you know, instead of already thinking about selling, why don't you ride it and think about keeping it. Seems like you're paying for a loan you may never take out...
You are quite right. I had a nice ride today, ran across another FJR and had fun tagging behind a group of sport bikes on a local twisty. If they only knew they were being chased by a 45 year old on a 600 + pound bike!

I did experience some buyers remorse after my purchase in July. After 8 twins, the inline four has been somewhat of an adjustment. I do have to say that this is probably the easiest bike to ride distance that I have ever owned ( and I put 15K a year on my last one!).

I guess I just have to accept the fact that we live in a global marketplace where anyone can be your customer. I work hard for my money, just like the rest of you and am in no hurry to give away more than I have to. Truth be told, I have bought and sold almost all of my last 7 or 8 bikes ove the net, so the deal does matter to me too. I rarely ever buy new, but I made an exception in this case.

When I bought the FJR, I was really hot for a Ducati ST3. I bought the FJR, trying to be practical. I am going to ride a new friend's ST3 tomorrow and he is going to ride my FJR. I should have it out of my system by then!

Okay, I am bowing out now, I've got to roast some coffee and get ready for a trip to Louisville in the morning.

Shep

$1500 for a push-button shifter?  That's why God made left feet!  And those are free!  I'm still trying to figure out why someone would consider buying it.  Who is seriously intersted, and why?
I was watching an episode of incredible-something-or-other on the Discovery Channel a few nights ago that was talking about race crashes and new technology to protect racers, and there was a champion GP racer who had crashed over a hundred times. Late in his career he couldn't move his left foot so they rigged up something like this for him and he continued his career a bit longer and won a few more championships.

Personally, I'm not thinking about whether the convenience is worth $1,800. I'm thinking I don't want to lose my manual shifting skills. Same reason I've held onto my '91 stick shift Acura Integra. I don't want to be in a position a few years from now where I borrow or rent a bike that doesn't have an autoshifter and mentally forget how to ride a bike the old fashioned way- maybe at a critical moment. Maybe when 50+% of the bikes out there are auto I might think about having one. But then again I dunno. Call me primitive if you want, but there's something about making the decisions yourself rather than letting a computer do it.

To me a dealer has to decide one of two things:

1) Do they want to talk about what they would like to make on a bike.

or

2) Would they actually rather have a sale and make some profit!

My local dealer matched the price I wanted as long as I came down that day - which I did. We are both happy so far (I don't get the bike until May 06)!

Best Regards,

Shane

I see a big loss for me.
If I thought bikes were an "investment" I'd have bought a HD and never ridden it.

Anything beyond the best possible price for me is fiscally irresponsible to my family.

Screw the local guy. I just talked to him he wouldn't take a penny off the list. I took my '05 there for my 600 mile service and they scared me enough I have done everthing since. Maybe they're not making money off the bike, but if you treat me like a freind on the way in, they're the first person I call for thousands of $$$ that make a bike yours.

Last edited by a moderator: