'06 impressions from old beemer guy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwhd

Reaction score
I picked up my '06 last week. Until I pulled out of the dealer lot, I'd never ridden any FJR before. I do have a good friend with an '05 and I've had many a long chat with him on his likes (many) and dislikes (few) but no seat time.

Prior to the FJR, I've owned a variety of HD and Triumph cruisers but most of my riding experience (and all but one of my IBA rides) was on my K1200LT so most of my impressions are measured against that bike.

Things I think I think:

1) This bike is as close to perfect right out of the box as any bike I've ever owned AND it feels like the bike I've been searching for for nearly 12 years. I FREAKIN' LOVE IT!

2) Even with all the fixes, this bike makes some serious heat. It only bothers me on my knees and inside of my thighs when the outside air temp is over 85F. It's not a problem but it's more than any bike I've ever ridden and I do notice it.

3) This is the first OEM windshield that ever worked for me. I may get a replacement down the road but it's not a burning issue.

4) Ditto on the seat.

5) The engine is buzzy above 4K and the right mirror shows it. I'm guessing the 600 mile TBS will help as will additonal mileage.

6) There is no low speed surging on mine.

7) The tranny is first rate. Shifts up and down with a "snick" that's so clean it still amazes me. However, I'd have paid another $500 for a 6th gear.

8) It handles like a dream and I've not even touched the suspension yet.

9) I wish I would have gotten the BT020s instead of the Metzs. Luck of the draw.

10) My windshield whistles once in a great while but you have to listen close to hear it.

11) I need to get my farkles installed!

Over all I'm really, really happy with this bike and plan to ride it into the ground over the next few years.

Glad to hear you like it Todd... many of us are of the same opinion. :thumbsup:

Todd, are you riding in "levi's"? If so, a pair of hypertez mesh overpants will solve the problem, at least it has for most of us.

Aaannnddd, congratulations!

What kind of GOOD friend wouldn't let you go around the block at least :blink: ....man if he's a good friend I'd hate to see your enemies....

I do have a good friend with an '05 and I've had many a long chat with him on his likes (many) and dislikes (few) but no seat time.
Damn, dude, that's how your "good" friends treat you?
Oh he offered but I just never had the chance to take him up on it. Our riding time just didn't coinside very often in the last year.

I'm sure I'll get the chance now as he's dying to see how the '06 has changed :D

As for the heat on the knees, yes, my limited rides so far have been in jeans. I usually wear either my Roadcrafter or my Darien pants so I hope those will be better about keeping the heat off. I've been really busy at work so I've only been able to sneak away for a few miles at lunch each day and I've only had on my jacket and jeans.

5) The engine is buzzy above 4K and the right mirror shows it. I'm guessing the 600 mile TBS will help as will additonal mileage.
The TBS will help.

What will also help is to adjust the mirror so that your rear view is what you want. Then, keeping the mirror in the same plane, rotate the mirror and black plastic CW or CCW until the mirror and black plastic part contact the outer, blue-painted part. Problem likely solved.

I picked up my '06 last week. Until I pulled out of the dealer lot, I'd never ridden any FJR before. I do have a good friend with an '05 and I've had many a long chat with him on his likes (many) and dislikes (few) but no seat time.
Prior to the FJR, I've owned a variety of HD and Triumph cruisers but most of my riding experience (and all but one of my IBA rides) was on my K1200LT so most of my impressions are measured against that bike.

Things I think I think:

1) This bike is as close to perfect right out of the box as any bike I've ever owned AND it feels like the bike I've been searching for for nearly 12 years. I FREAKIN' LOVE IT!

2) Even with all the fixes, this bike makes some serious heat. It only bothers me on my knees and inside of my thighs when the outside air temp is over 85F. It's not a problem but it's more than any bike I've ever ridden and I do notice it.

3) This is the first OEM windshield that ever worked for me. I may get a replacement down the road but it's not a burning issue.

4) Ditto on the seat.

7) The tranny is first rate. Shifts up and down with a "snick" that's so clean it still amazes me. However, I'd have paid another $500 for a 6th gear.

9) I wish I would have gotten the BT020s instead of the Metzs. Luck of the draw.

10) My windshield whistles once in a great while but you have to listen close to hear it.

Over all I'm really, really happy with this bike and plan to ride it into the ground over the next few years.
Congrats on your new ride! Question....did you use your LT for solo riding ...or two up?....and will you use your FJR the same way?

Ride Safe,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Things I think I think:

4) Ditto on the seat.

Congrats on your new ride! Question....did you use your LT for solo riding ...or two up?....and will you use your FJR the same way?

Ride Safe,

Ron
Congrats! Good review. I agree with most of what you say except a couple of items.

Mine has no heat at all up in the thigh area, a little on my lower legs in stop and go riding - but overall no heat issues.

I am happy with the Meztler tires on mine.

I have the surging.

I totally agree!!! After 970 miles, there is very little I want to change on this bike. I did put on the throttlemeister but I can't think of much more that I want to do other than RIDE!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Once you get #5 TBS'd, you can just pocket the $500 for #7. This engine just doesn't care what rpm it's at; I seem to get the same mileage whether the engine's at 2300 rpm or 3500 rpm.

Pepperell

I rode my LT mostly solo. FJR will be the same except for some short two up dinner rides and maybe an over night or two. My wife won't ride it until I get some sort of back rest or top box.

I think the heat I feel on my knees is coming up from underneath and being re-directed up the sides by my boots. Not an issue but not zero either.

Damn, dude, that's how your "good" friends treat you?
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Oh he offered but I just never had the chance to take him up on it. Our riding time just didn't coinside very often in the last year.
I guess I need to read the forum more often, Todd, and thanks for correcting the record. Maybe now that you have the FJR we'll be able to ride together more often?

Ed

Glad it fits the bill.

I agree the TBS should clear the buzz. I see no need for a 6 gear with the FJR motor. TJ

Latest posts