'06 impressions from old beemer guy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also come to the FJR from a K12LT - perhaps that is why we think there is heat - but most folks on this board think there isn't. I find the heat on my left calf. This weekend it was 94 and I rode in Joe Rocket mesh pants with shorts under. It was DEFINITELY warm. I will probably NOT ride with this configuration of clothes again - at least not in the summer (when it is the only time I will wear the JR mesh pants).

I also feel a vibration in the higher rpms - mine is above 5k, though.

I have a low speed surge - and think that TBS will probably help. I have checked the TPS and it is good - smooth increments all the way to 100+ (mine goes down to 16 or 17 and steps up without skipping).

None of my vibration is enough to cause mirrors to blur - but above 5k.... I'm usually not worry too much about what is behind me as much as what is rapidly approaching.

Two up - my wife demands a back rest, too. Will probably go with the GIVI e46 when a bracket is ready. She said the seat is painful - I didn't tell her she was being a sissy as she also said that it would be OK to go for the custom seat.

I always thought the LT was about perfect out of the box. Certainly from the comfort side - I only changed the seat and the original seat wasn't bad. the headlights sucked, but that was fixed with PIAA 910's.

I am also very pleased with the bike. smooth and relatively comfy - but needs new grips and I could go with lower foot pegs and higher handlebars (or further back ones).

I'm not as partial to the windshield as I think except for the full down position that it is way too noisy.

mine whistled like construction crew on break. but this was easily fixed.

shifting is smooth once the timing was figured ot.

TBS did not clear the buzz on mine or the low end surge. I wasnt expected to lose the surge though. i believe that completely clutch related. as far as the buzz. between 3800 and 4300 rpm's, makes me think i need glasses.

GreyGoose

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that the right mirror vibes above 70 mph (indicated) are the only real complaint I have with the bike at this time.

I too will likely go with risers and a bigger shield at some point down the road but my highest funding priorities now are a stem mount for my GPS and sliders.

Even on the '06, empty tank + high 90s temps + mesh pants = serious heat on the legs. Keeping the tank full seems to make the most positive difference in the heat for me for some reason.

If you want to minimize the vibes to almost nil do this:

1) Powercommander with Wally's smoothness map

2) Throttle Body Synch.

3) Iridium plugs

Glenn

Latest posts