06 Metzler Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be nice if the z6/strafa had center wear indicators. However, I would humbly suggest that if one is wearing a tire to the cords before hitting the wear indicators that are off the center line that a touring tire would be a better choice of rubber rather than a Sport-touring tire.
I got about 10k out of a rear diablo strada. if you keep an eye on the TWI you'll be fine. unlike some other tires, when you get to the TWI, the tire is toast. and if you are going on a long ride and it's close, better to be on the safe side. I commute 150 miles to the office so I had time to really see what was happening as I got close to the wear indicator. I ran it till I could see the differentcolors that others talk about, but I knew the tire was gone before then. so far I have 13k on the front tire but it's toast as well. willhave a new one later this week hopefully.

but I like the handling. makes the bike feel much more flickable like a proper sport bike. :)

BTw you don't want a solid line down the center of the tire. tracks rain grooves too much.

Confused about the TWI in the Z6's. I see the initals on the tire but what or where are the indicator's? And how do you gage them? PM. <>< :blink:

Confused about the TWI in the Z6's. I see the initals on the tire but what or where are the indicator's? And how do you gage them? PM. <>< :blink:

Follow the groove nearest the TWI toward the center of the tire. Look for a couple of raised bumps in the rain groove. There is one bump close to the center and one more back about an inch or so from the end of the groove. When those raised spots in the groove begin to contact the road surface, you are at the wear indicators. Bases on others experience, you may or may not have much tread left in the center based on the percentage of slab to twisties. I can try to find the camera and snap a photo when I get home later.

David

I wore my Z6 rear down to cords showing at 4800miles and thats 2 months of riding in GA spring in temps 30-80, mostly 40-65. I'm going to a Z6 front / ME 880 rear combo in hopes of getting 8k or better.

See my thread here:

Clicky

Steve

In my experience, Metzelers give less warning than other brands. By that I mean that the wear indicators don't show until there is very little left in the tire. I run Metzelers on my Maxim and replace them as soon as the indicators start to show.