'06 Reflector cracking

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aha...so now it's time to list everything that anyone with the crazing has used on their bikes as a wash and find the common culprit. Could it be chemical that is put on the roads in cold climates? I know some places lay down a chemical to melt ice.

And it could be enviromental. Not sure if the chemicals used to melt ice would do this, but even exhaust vapors from cars/trucks can contain unburnt fuel, and a host of other chemicals. Add in UV rays, heat/cold, and the fact that many plastics are suseptable to a host of componds found in our atmosphere, and you'd have a pretty big search area.

It is also possible that the plastic was contaminated before they even owned the bikes, and the cracking only is showing up now.

KM
Ya know last week I went out naked, covered by assless chaps an didn't singe my nuts, due to spf 9 million point 33 thousand to the tenth power divided by .00983.................... is the heat a factor? Meby exhaust fumes caused excessive heat an the faulty FJR design had nothing to do with it! :unsure:

Damn it ! My 04 shows zero symptoms!!!!!!! Guess I better move west regardless of what odot recommends

:jester:

Bramfrank:

I believe that Ionbeam is correct. Polycarbonate is one of those plastics that doesn't like chlorinated solvents. Those cracks look chemically produced to me as well. Did you use Rain-X or a similar product on the lens? There are warnings on Rain-X containers for this very reason.

Dave

Bramfrank:I believe that Ionbeam is correct. Polycarbonate is one of those plastics that doesn't like chlorinated solvents. Those cracks look chemically produced to me as well. Did you use Rain-X or a similar product on the lens? There are warnings on Rain-X containers for this very reason.

Dave
Nope.
The only things I use on my bike are Bike Wash, a product called 'wax as you dry' from Eagle One and Turtle Wax Platinum polish. The windshield gets the same mix of chemicals and is just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

I spoke with my dealer today to follow up and according to him Yamaha is ordering a headlight assembly to replace mine under warranty.

It's largely about the dealer.

Last edited by a moderator: