06 Windshield Curiosity

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

FJREB

I have an 04 non-ABS FJR. I've tried the stock windshield with the Rifle tuning block but didn’t like it and took the spacer off. I'm now running the stock shield with a Laminar Lip. An improvement but far from great. I have a Tall Cal Science on order. What I'm curious about is that Yamaha’s advertising and the few pre-reviews I’ve read on the 06 convinced me that there should be much improvement in the airflow issues with the new models. It even made me a little jealous. I’ve always thought that a good deal of the problems with buffeting and back pressure was because of the basic design including the distance of the shield from the rider and the increase in slope as the shield is raised. I’m not sure about the angle as the shield is raised on the 06 but it sounds like the distance was decreased and relief vents were added to the bottom of the shield. The amount of inquiries about aftermarket windshields from 06 owners makes it obvious that noise and rider comfort are still not perfect. I’d be interested to hear from some 06 owners; especially some of the ones I’ve noticed have previously owned earlier models. How much improvement do you think there actually is from the 03-05 models to the stock 06. Meanwhile I have my hopes up for my Cal Science based on the posts I’ve read here and am waiting to hear the reviews and comparisons on the V-Stream.

Last edited:
I think the 06 is quite an improvement over previous models. I don't own a pre-06, but have ridden a friends quite a bit. My 06 is MUCH better than his, both in terms of a complete lack of backpressure on mine, to improved air flow and less buffeting. I did not enjoy his bike at all ... needed extensive mods to make me happy. He loves it as it is.

It is far from perfect for many. Obviously, Mamma Yamma designed a screen to satisfy the majority of customers. Some like more cooling flow and others (like me) are interested in pillion comfort and weather protection. Some riders are tall, some not. Every screen is a compromise in some respect, but I think the OEM is a good attempt at aiming square at the avg rider.

I think the '06 is outstanding for an OEM shield. The first I've ever owned that worked from the factory. Will I upgrade someday anyway? Most likely, but it's way down on the priority list.