07 Throttle Response

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metcalfe1963

Reaction score
A lot has certainly already been said relative to the existance of the abrupt throttle response and stiff throttle return springs with the 06's. Have any of you new 07 owners encountered the same? Since it seems Yamaha takes at least 3-4 years to address any problem I am guessing we will be subject to the same issues. Comments are welcome from those of you who have received your 07 and had a little seat time.

Patience. It's going to take a lot bigger sample than just a few new owners to find the answers to your questions.

But I am willing to answer them - No, Yammie didn't make any changes. They don't beleive there is a problem, so why would they change it? Especially when it comes to the alleged "stiff" throttle spring. Newsflash, that stiff throttle spring wasn't just an 06 issue, but an all model year issue. And the fix- retracting the main spring, was developed way back in 03 on the first model year brought to the U.S.. But is it truly a problem? While many enjoy the benefits of loosening up the throttle tension by unwinding that spring, many of us are quite content with the stock tension. So is it a universal problem? No.

And the throttle response has also been around before the 06s. Granted, it seems to have gotten worse on the 06s, but again, that is not a universal complaint. Perhaps Yammie will listen to some of the magazine reviews where the abruptness is criticized, buy I wouldn't hold my breath. Again, I bet their fuel injection is meeting whatever design goals they had. Why change it for I am sure what they perceive is a "bunch of whiners on the 'net".

I would like to be proven wrong, but won't be counting on it.

A lot has certainly already been said relative to the existance of the abrupt throttle response and stiff throttle return springs with the 06's. Have any of you new 07 owners encountered the same? Since it seems Yamaha takes at least 3-4 years to address any problem I am guessing we will be subject to the same issues. Comments are welcome from those of you who have received your 07 and had a little seat time.
I'd have to say yes, based on what I've read of the '06 throttle response posts, the '07 seems pretty much the same.

I noticed quite a bit of slack in the throttle and the engine also stumbled from idle when I gave the throttle a quick twist. I wasn't bothered enough by those things to have kept me from riding but the weather has been terrible the last few days so I decided to see what I could do to make things better. I adjusted out the slack in the throttle cable and then did the +7 Barbarian Mod for '06s (my factory CO settings were the same as many of the '06s: 5 18 18 21). The rain stopped long enough for me to test it around the neighborhood last night and I think it has improved quite a bit.

Last weekend I got in about a 4 hour ride and never noticed the return springs. Still, I'd bet the return springs are the same as the '06 since everything else has been.

It's raining again today and they say more again tomorrow so I don't know when I'll get a real chance to see what a difference it makes. At least it's been warm enough (just barely) not to be ice.

They changed the throttle and mapping on the 06. I am pretty sure the 07s are the same.

Basically if you have strong wrists and are capable of modulating the throttle very slowly through 2 degrees on transitions you will love the 06 and for that matter the 07.

Why change it for I am sure what they perceive is a "bunch of whiners on the 'net".
Boy, it didn't take long for those words to arise. :lol:

Metcalf, just negotiate a $59 plus shipping reduction in the price you pay and order a G2. The bike still abruptly transitions from full OFF (zero gas to the injectors) to just barely ON-- like every FI bike on the market I know of-- but the next few degrees of throttle rotation are much easier to modulate. You'll like the G2.

As for the springs, many solutions exist... the easiest-- IMHO-- is the addition of a Throttle Rocker of some sort. Make that price reduction another $10. B)

Why change it for I am sure what they perceive is a "bunch of whiners on the 'net".
Boy, it didn't take long for those words to arise. :lol:

Metcalf, just negotiate a $59 plus shipping reduction in the price you pay and order a G2. The bike still abruptly transitions from full OFF (zero gas to the injectors) to just barely ON-- like every FI bike on the market I know of-- but the next few degrees of throttle rotation are much easier to modulate. You'll like the G2.

As for the springs, many solutions exist... the easiest-- IMHO-- is the addition of a Throttle Rocker of some sort. Make that price reduction another $10. B)
+1 G2 and rocker

An additional observation. If enough people bitch - things get done. Check out the heat fixes that Yamaha incorporated in the 06 There are owners out there that put up with these problems even deny that they exist. However Yamaha understood they had a problem and fixed it.

Have ridden all kinds of bikes (6 of which are still in my garage, can't bring myself to sell them). Some have carbs and others injection. Until I modified the 06 FJR it was absolutely the last bike on my list to ride.

The Speed Triple I owned, had a switch like throttle response, however it was nothing like the 06. The throttle was easier to modulate and much lighter and this was a quarter turn throttle. (That was before I put the off road cans on the bike and remapped the ECU which transformed the bike)

Enough of this shit - the fixes are available to alleviate most of the problem. It is not difficult to turn the bike into an easily rideable sweet Sport tourer it was designed to be. BTW the 05 i owned did not have this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
If enough people bitch - things get done. Check out the heat fixes that Yamaha incorporated in the 06
Yep, just like the cigarette lighter plug in the glove compartment with a wimpy fuse. Pure genius how Yamaha kept their eye on the ball on that one.

I think for every one they got right--they got one wrong. Kudos to the temp. gauge, but tried to make the speedo blingy and it's hard to read? Mega kudos on the alternator that they totally didn't play up, but cheeseville on the optional hand protectors on the mirror? But, I batting .500 is pretty good I guess....

... cheeseville on the optional hand protectors on the mirror? ...
not sure what that is... but for me -- yami did get the mirrors right -- there is a dead air space around the grip area toward the inside on the '06 -- so I was able to skip the need for the guards.

what? ok.... so i had to test on a hot day using scoop vented gloves (recommended by Skyway)

gloves1_crop_sm.jpg

Summer test:

Keep your hands tight -- inside grip -- and zero air flow (blocked by the new mirrors)

Keep your hands wide -- almost gripping on the bar-ends -- plenty of air flow.

Now winter:

Just keep my grip inside... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm nice and warm with the 06 AE factory grip heat.... nice.

optional hand protectors on the mirror? ...

not sure what that is....
Me neither... a hand wind guard might me nice at my more usual northern location.

So, again... let's all pick a date... say some time in Q2/07 where we *all* (all FJR owners) show up on the same day and demand to have the throttle response issue corrected. If every FJR owner (or a reasonably large subset - there are people who will decline just on principle) shows up, and dozens or hundreds of dealers call Yamaha, there will be damn little choice but to react to the market place.

+1 on the G2.... Spent 4 hours yesterday on the road with the newly installed G2... it IS all that!..fixed what I wanted fixed...

Mosa

If enough people bitch - things get done. Check out the heat fixes that Yamaha incorporated in the 06
Yep, just like the cigarette lighter plug in the glove compartment with a wimpy fuse. Pure genius how Yamaha kept their eye on the ball on that one.

I think for every one they got right--they got one wrong. Kudos to the temp. gauge, but tried to make the speedo blingy and it's hard to read? Mega kudos on the alternator that they totally didn't play up, but cheeseville on the optional hand protectors on the mirror? But, I batting .500 is pretty good I guess....
You're always bashing the '06 speedo which I really don't get. It's very easy to read on mine. And actually not too far of the GPS vs. some other bikes I've owned.