07 vs. 08 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirk

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been reading the Bin-O-Facts and pm'ing members for the last few days. I still have a question (not pertinent to me as I purchased an 07) that I would like clarification on.

Does the 2008 FJR need the G2 Throttle tube (I heard Yami changed the cam), PC III and the Gen I slave that seems to help the 07 model? Also, does the 08 need the "gorilla spring" unwound or removed like the 07 and the throttle cable adjusted when new? Just curious what Yami has changed since 07. Thanks all, Dirk.

Hey all, I've been reading the Bin-O-Facts and pm'ing members for the last few days. I still have a question (not pertinent to me as I purchased an 07) that I would like clarification on.
Does the 2008 FJR need the G2 Throttle tube (I heard Yami changed the cam), PC III and the Gen I slave that seems to help the 07 model? Also, does the 08 need the "gorilla spring" unwound or removed like the 07 and the throttle cable adjusted when new? Just curious what Yami has changed since 07. Thanks all, Dirk.
Short answer: No. :yahoo:

The 08 is so much nicer off-idle and slow-speed that there is no reason, IMHO, to add the G2. In fact, I let my G2 from my 05 go after riding the 08. I had kept it just in case... no need.

I don't see what everyone's problem was with the 07s. I just got my 07 a few weeks ago and it's smooth as silk. Maybe I got one that was late in the production run or something? There's nothing I would change about it.

The 08 is so much nicer off-idle and slow-speed that there is no reason, IMHO, to add the G2. In fact, I let my G2 from my 05 go after riding the 08. I had kept it just in case... no need.
How about the power commander?

I may get reemed for this but here it goes.... I really don't understand why you need a Power Commander on the FJR. Yes, I know EXACTLY what they do, I had one on my old bike (it did not have an O2 sensor). Since the FJR has an O2 senor it its alway adjusting the mixture for optimized mixture (optimized according to the ECU program). Power Commander on the other hand just adds fuel according to a programmed map, which is why you have to unhook the O2 sensor so they don't "fight"each other. I can see how the barbarian mod would be alot more efficient in adjusting fuel ratio if it needs it.

I may get reemed for this but here it goes.... I really don't understand why you need a Power Commander on the FJR. Yes, I know EXACTLY what they do, I had one on my old bike (it did not have an O2 sensor). Since the FJR has an O2 senor it its alway adjusting the mixture for optimized mixture (optimized according to the ECU program). Power Commander on the other hand just adds fuel according to a programmed map, which is why you have to unhook the O2 sensor so they don't "fight"each other. I can see how the barbarian mod would be alot more efficient in adjusting fuel ratio if it needs it.
My answer about "needing" a PCIII: No. At least I have no intentions of doing it on the 08. I had one on the 05 and I liked it because it was like puting a filter on the entire ignition/throttle system and it made it smooth as silk. G2 made the final difference when doing initial throttle inputs. The 08 does not appear to have these issues or they are MUCH less noticable... and I am still in the break-in period. It should only get better.

Downsides to PCIII...

You diconnect the O2 sensor so you are not regulating the mixture like the bike was designed to. Instead you are running a fixed profile that gets modified with the PCIII. Not "environmentally concious"... if you are into that kind of stuff.

Second, you use more fuel. More power does not come from thin-air... it comes from fuel and you use a decent amount more. I have documented proof of the increase in consumption/decrease in mileage after my PCIII install on my 05. Just a fact of life. Of course, you can run the 0-map which gives you nothing in horsepower and just smoothes out the response. You better really NEED that if you are going to spend $300+ to "smooth" things out and NOT get a bump in power.

Finally, more fuel/more power = more soot in the exhaust. I noticed quite a bit more black on the back end of my pipes after the PCIII install.

As for the Barbarian Jumper Mod: I just went through this and re-read a bunch of the information. This mod affects ONLY the low-to mid throttle and is a shot in the dark as far as a "performance" or "tuning" tool. The only way to truely do that mod is to have the right equipment for measuring exhaust gas.

JMHO, YMMV.

The difference between an 06/07 FJR with and without a commander is huge, but until you ride one with you will never know.

The bike transforms into a smooth and responsive unit.

The 08 mapping is the same as the 06/07, at least in Aust but the throttle has a better action, not like an on/off switch now.

The ONLY way to get the full benefit of a PCIII is with a custom map, and if you aren't going to bother getting your bike tuned on a dyno then why bother.

You can't expect your bike to run at it's best with the map the PC3 came with, let's face it, the map is fairly general because who ever purchases a PC3 wants their bike to at least start, where ever in the world they live.

It may remove the Euro3 compliance but engines were not designed to run as lean as the Euro3 specs, not yet anyway.

Fuel consumption, from 19~20 klms per litre down to 18~19 is no big deal for the benefits to be gained, no throttle snatch down low & no drive line snatch for a start.

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference between an 06/07 FJR with and without a commander is huge, but until you ride one with you will never know.
The bike transforms into a smooth and responsive unit.

The 08 mapping is the same as the 06/07, at least in Aust but the throttle has a better action, not like an on/off switch now.

The ONLY way to get the full benefit of a PCIII is with a custom map, and if you aren't going to bother getting your bike tuned on a dyno then why bother.

You can't expect your bike to run at it's best with the map the PC3 came with, let's face it, the map is fairly general because who ever purchases a PC3 wants their bike to at least start, where ever in the world they live.

It may remove the Euro3 compliance but engines were not designed to run as lean as the Euro3 specs, not yet anyway.

Fuel consumption, from 19~20 klms per litre down to 18~19 is no big deal for the benefits to be gained, no throttle snatch down low & no drive line snatch for a start.
Gunny on everything Shadow said - PCIII rules.

Plus the fact that the bike runs a full bar lower on temp, which is really noticeable in hot weather, and this is before the custom dyno map, just something in the ballpark.