'07 vs '08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveW

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am new to the website and have a question. I have tried a search but had trouble finding the info I am after.

I am considering an ST1300 or an FJR and have read all the comparisons. A dealer in town has a new '07 FJR on the floor for a half decent price and I am trying to determine if an '08 with it's few new updates is worth the extra money. What are peoples opinions? Would I be better of getting an '07 or dishing out the extra money and get an '08?

Thanks for any and all assistance.

DaveW

'07 Ural Gear Up

'03 KLR 650

You don't specify prices. If it were a $5 difference then an '08. If it were $5000 then an '07.

It's going to be subjective what you think the smallish amount of updates are worth and whether you like black or red better.

Other than 2 pounds of dry weight increase, i really do not see a whole lot of difference between them, i guess it would depend on your preferences and saving any $$$.....Maybe some internal parts are different....

For 2008, the FJR1300A gets a new ABS system, new scratch-resistant hard windshield coating, a new windshield bracket design and new grips.

More than likely same as o7

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than 2 pounds of dry weight increase, i really do not see a whole lot of difference between them, i guess it would depend on your preferences and saving any $$$.....Maybe some internal parts are different....
For 2008, the FJR1300A gets a new ABS system, new scratch-resistant hard windshield coating, a new windshield bracket design and new grips.

Whoa there. You forgot the best part. [SIZE=24pt]The '08 is BLACK.[/SIZE] That's worth it right there.

For 2008, the FJR1300A gets:
a new ABS system,

new scratch-resistant hard windshield coating,

a new windshield bracket design and new grips.

ALSO:

'08 gets an updated ECU to help eliminate the "surging". '07s are supposed to get their ECUs replaced under warranty.

'08 has a round throttle pulley. '07 has an elliptical shaped throttle pulley than can be replaced by the G-2 Throttle Tube for a few dollars ($50?). Link for G-2 information.

You don't specify prices. If it were a $5 difference then an '08. If it were $5000 then an '07.
It's going to be subjective what you think the smallish amount of updates are worth and whether you like black or red better.
Yup!! If you can get a decent deal ($1,000-$1,500) off MSRP......and you prefer to not have black....

Iggy, your prejudice is showin'. Your forgot cerulean silver and graphite!

The 08 also supposedly has better lubrication of the transmission (I recall reading something about oil being squirted from above the gears or some sort of horseshit to that effect) so that you have smoother shifts without having to pre-load the transmission through the gear shift lever. Or I'm full of crap in which case....never mind.

The 08 also supposedly has better lubrication of the transmission (I recall reading something about oil being squirted from above the gears or some sort of horseshit to that effect) so that you have smoother shifts without having to pre-load the transmission through the gear shift lever. Or I'm full of crap in which case....never mind.
You are right, sir. I forgot that they have run a lubrication line to the top of the stacked gears. Only time will tell if that is a "really big" deal or not.

On The AE and maybe the A they modified the oil flow to the clutch assembly. Don't think they changed the oiling system for the transmission though. They did add an additional engagement dog on the 3rd pinion gear to make the 3rd to 4th shift a bit smoother.

Lets take color out of the equation.....

The biggest change for the 08 is that rediculous throttle pulley they put on the 06/07 models and a transmission update to make shifting smoother. The G2 modification does have impact on the pulley issue, but does not completely rectify it (IMHO). The transmission update has yet to get much feedback on when comparing the 06/07 to the 08. Compared to the st1300, the transmissions on the earlier FJR's could have used a update.

Now lets throw color back in:

If theres big dollars to be saved, consider an 06 (cause its the same as the 07 (unless you flat out love the color)).

If the dollars are close, go with the 08 with the latest and greatest factory mods. I'd love to have a shot at that throttle pulley and smoother shifting.

ST1300 is a great bike but:

- its heavier than hell

- Its rediculously hot (this is no joke..i sold mine because of it)

- Continues to look "a bit Scooterish"

- May be getting a much needed update in the next couple of years (causing demand for earlier models to drop sharply)

GreyGoose