08' AE smooth take off??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow2

Reaction score
Ok all you 08' AE owners, what's the secret to smooth take offs? Does this thing get better with miles? I also noticed it's herky/jerky until it's fully warmed up. I've got the shifting down to smooth and fluid. Man, I love this bike but it's gonna get me in trouble. I rode in this morning and after passing a car looked down to check speed and was doing 75 in a 40 zone. My clean record's gonna be a thing of the past I'm afraid, lol.

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok all you 08' AE owners, what's the secret to smooth take offs? Does this thing get better with miles? I also noticed it's herky/jerky until it's fully warmed up. I've got the shifting down to smooth and fluid. Man, I love this bike but it's gonna get me in trouble. I rode in this morning and after passing a car looked down to check speed and was doing 75 in a 40 zone. My clean record's gonna be a thing of the past I'm afraid, lol.Ed
I only have trouble with herky jerky during low speed maneuvers and going from throttle off to light throttle in turns. Launching has always been the strength of my AE. An AE may not launch as fast as dumping the clutch but it still blows the doors off Corvettes.

Mine has had a slight "shudder" when taking off while it is warming up since it was new. I had it looked at by the dealer and everything was fine. 2 years and 30,000 miles later it's safe to say it is probably just the nature of the beast. As for your driving record, good luck with that. The good thing for me is I drive my cage more responsibly now and save my tickets for the bike. My record after 6 years on the FJR is three warnings, one ticket and a whole lot of VERY good luck and fast reflexes.

Last edited by a moderator:
adjust the play in the throttle, by doing so made it much smoother for me. Same goes for the slow speed maneuvers. Once I took most of the slack out I could control it much better.

I've found that it improves with time. I have not made any adjustments to the throttle or anything else, and I no longer have any issues with slow speed maneuvers. Time, practice and improved throttle control will take care of this. As for launching....restaint brother, restraint.

Just be extra, extra gentile. Pretend you are on loose dirt every time, and with a bit of practice it will become habit. Also, remove the slack in your throttle cable. Also, the G2 throttle cam will help. Another thing that will help is releasing the throttle return spring a turn. Instructions are on this web site and others, just do a search, and if you have problems locating this info let me know.

Be safe and good luck.

Mine surges on take off during the middle of the warm up cycle. Feels like the clutch can't make up its mind what to do. This goes away when warmed up.

I installed a PCIII and it helped but during warm up it still does it. Ask the dealer about it at the 600 mi service and they said it was normal and that there

were no adjustments that could be done. I believe the map in the ECM that is used during warm up is not programmed very well to match the signal from

the temp sensors. Since only MamaYama has access to this map, we are stuck with it. I have learned to live with it. Fortunately the engine warms up fast.

If you haven't installed a PCIII I highly recommend getting one. (and Wally's Smoothness map) The combo transformed my bike from yuk to yeah!

Hope this helps.

The AE is really something to get use to and as some have said it is the nature of the beast, however taking some of the throttle play out will help. Also let the bike warm up for a few minutes before you leave. I try to have 2 bars, on the heat gage showing before I leave. You can also use you front or rear brake to hold the bike in place while you feel the clutch engage once you have the clutch engaged you can make a very positive and smooth launch. The issue is clutch engagement it is either engaged or disengaged there is no in between as with a clutch bike. In at low speed maneuvers try staying in second gear I find that to be smoother. Also when you down shifting and coming to a stop try going to 3rd gear and using the rear brake only as you complete your stop you will feel the clutch disengage at this point you can make the last 2 down shift and come to a very smooth stop. Hope this helps.