'08 Stalling problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK...I know this is probably a dumb question, but what exactly is the ECU...and if I bought my 08 in February, is there a recall on it for the ECU? Or only on older bike's ECU's?
ECU= Electronic Control Unit. Alternatively called the ECM= Eledtronic Control Module

The computer under the seat. There were some bad ones for '07s (Google Link: ECU change site:fjrforum.com) that sent wrong fuel mixtures through the injectors during altitude changes. Also there were '05s with TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) problems that were changed under factory recall.

IF there are problems with the '08s, yours would be the first (or one of the first?).

If it isn't a simple adjustment, make sure your bike's issue it is "logged" into the Yamaha computer.....er...uhm...Paging Yamaha Cypress...Mr. Cypress to the white courtesy phone, please.

[SIZE=8pt]Uh, Houston, we may have a problem.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
My 08 stalled and all the other stuff until upping idle to 1100. Still haven't heard anyone familiar with why the CA 08's C0 reading are 10 straight across. Modified mine to 07 reading plus 7 and performs outstanding. However, i'm going to baseline back to the 10 and then plus 7 to see what happens.

Hello,
My '08 stalls if the throttle is blipped while stopped. The bike can be in gear or neutral, hot or cold. There is no problem if I slowly roll on the throttle; It's just the quick twist. I also notice this happens while coming to a stop, sometimes while still rolling. Distance doesn't matter. It happened from short hop to a continuous 20 mile run. As soon as I stopped and blipped the throttle, it stalls.

I searched archives and notice there was a problem for '03-'06 TPS. Could this be the same problem or has someone heard/experience this?

Bike is brand new, out of crate. Started on the maiden ride. Was pretty bad at 85 miles. Brought back to dealer and it only happened once for the mechanic. He looked up the VIN and didn't find any known issues. He mentioned some previous years had ECM failures, but they were resolved. He suggested it may be bad gas (supplied by the dealer BTW) and to run a couple of tanks of fresh gas through to see if it helps. I have let the tank run down to 1 or 2 bars on the fuel gauge and have refilled twice (87 once then 89 octane; Name brand gas). I am schedule for the 600 mile service next week and he has me scheduled to address this issue too.

If, while stopped, I slowly rev the engine, it does sound like there is a fuel/air mixture problem or, it could be missing. On the road there is no problem and has lots of power. I'm not sure if it's 100% power, but it "gets up and goes" quickly.

Also, I'm on my 3rd tank of gas in less than 300 miles.

Anyone come across this?

Thanks,

Rich

Just adding another confirmation that increasing the idle rpm's to above 1,000 does solve the stalling problem.

In my case every morning after letting the bike warm up I would leave for work then stop at a light and if I idled for a minute and just touched the throttle my bike would stall. After a couple of days of this (once again proving the value of this forum) I seached and read this thread and it solved the problem. :yahoo:

Thank you to everyone here for the great advice.