09 fjr trouble

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow.. I sure am glad we all have a know it all like yourself help us poor idiots out, wfooshee you can stop replying to any of my posts,.. go treat someone else poorly.

Ooh, look. Just as Iggy predicted, I'll answer anyway. Not interested in a flame war, which previously present management would shut down posthaste anyway.

Here's how I see this thread having progressed:

You asked a legitimate question genuinely looking for an answer.

You got several genuine answers, and some suggestions for troubleshooting. Some may seem like guesswork, but since we can't see your bike, that's unavoidable. We go by what we've discussed previously, in those other hundreds and thousands of posts.

Rather than responding to those and trying the suggestions, you simply sad, "no, no, no, that can't be it, there's nothing wrong with the clutch or the idle."

Nobody called you any names.

Nobody said it was something you did or that it was your fault.

Nobody said you couldn't ride.

(I even said "nobody said it was your fault" in my previous post.)

Yet all you've presented to our queries of "What happens if you do this?" or "Try this and let us know" is attitude and belligerence.

So if you want some help, answer a couple of questions to let us know how the bike behaves. Easy.

What happens if you start in first, compared to starting in neutral? Does the bike lurch? Does the starter crank a little slower? Those answers will tell us if it's the clutch or not. And be aware that it may not be a universal behavior - it might do it sometimes and not do it others. But if it ever does it, it's an indicative symptom.

So can you do that? Seems a simple thing to try, yet to this point you have not responded positively to a single question put to you. Let's work on the bike, not the egos.

Last edited by a moderator:
havin g 2 issues with my new fjr,1. Sometimes when I slowly throttle up to take off my bike just dies..poof.. like a loss of tps signal mabey? It restarts immediatley, but it makes me look like I didnt give it enough gas/clutch action, it also happens while sitting on my centerstand so I know its not operator error, I tightened up the throttle cable a bit ( it felt a bit loose ) making sure im still idling at 950-1000 and still some freeplay but it didnt cure the problem.

2. Sometimes I'll roll up to a parking spot in 2nd gear and kill the bike to go get my lunch or whatever, and when I restart the bike to leave, it will not go back into 1st gear, it goes into neutral just fine, but not 1st, I shift it around a bit then.. give it a mean downshift past neutral.. and it finally slams into 1st.. and the bikes idle speed is fine clutch and is pulled in all the way,rolling the bike and general angle of the bike does not seem to change this, this is a brand new bike and my dealer doesnt seem to have a clue over the phone neways.

Anyone else have this happen to thier feejer?
We may have misunderstood your description of getting the bike into 1st. If you stopped with it in 2nd, pulled the clutch in and started the bike, either still in 2nd or after shifting to neutral, and the tranny won't shift to 1st, the problem is that the tranny is non-syncronized and requires some relative movement of the gears and dogs to get it into gear. Shift to neutral, blip out the clutch to get the gears moving, slip it into 1st and go. Standard procedure on any non-sync tranny. I have this happen quite often on mine. Seems to happen most often when I'm first in line at a traffic light and I've had the clutch held in a little too long :blink: .

And raising the idle speed to 1050-1100 is to solve your stalling problem, not shifting to 1st. This has solved the stalling problem on countless bikes on this forum. Give it a try.

latest update =I changed my idle speed up and that has taken care of the dying issue so far, thx for the tip,

1st gear issue = Dealer says it might need to come apart to be fixed, Sounds like a syncro. problem, and here what they said,

If the bike shifts in and out of all gears EXCEPT 1st gear the 1st gear syncro is probably at fault ,

To make the bike go into 1st when the problem occurs I have to turn the bike off and roll the bike slowly while in 2nd to move the main shaft and syncros untill the the 1st gear synco changes position in the trans, this proves a syncro failure and not the dryclutch problem as per some posters had mentioned.

IF the bike had the known Atypical dry clutch plate issue it would have problems with the clutch not disengaging fully causing

hard shifting into MANY OR ALL gears... and NOT JUST 1st gear. And it might also have the starter drag problem, (ie the bike cranks slow whith the clutch pulled in during failure mode proving sticking clutch) and it does not have that problem either. As I stated in my previous posts, I said this "wasn't a clutch problem", and for some reason A poster just skipped right over that fact and started being pushy, giving me the 3rd degree about how I should listen to him and all the others about the dry clutch issue, I had said that this wasnt a clutch problem, I had allready read about the dry clutch problems before I even started this tread, and since My bike had none of those symptoms I asked for input.

And the next time someone says" it isnt the a clutch problem" , try beliving him or her and move on to other tips or helpfull information

thx for the input dsmack, neihart, mcatropy,constant mesh,ceddec,donhandshy, and scrider,

besides... is this a brand new state of the art 09 fjr 1300? with very few miles on it, this should not be happening at all.. period.
it should not be happening, agreed

unfortunately yamaha just seen to leave their bikes unchanged for many years and so the same problems just get passed on to the next model

problems that affected to 06 are still in the 07, 08 & 09 models.

until yamaha do a complete upgrade of the bike to a gen 3 then these problems will continue

one thing i can't understand is what after the 06 do yamaha continue to build the fjr without putting enough grease in the vital areas

even the 09 has a lack of grease so they still expect customers to spend hours on the bike and re grease them

my dealer told me yamaha expected them to grease the bikes but he said unless yamaha are going to pay the labor bill forget it.

latest update =I changed my idle speed up and that has taken care of the dying issue so far, thx for the tip,
Well in my opinion you have only temporarily fixed the stalling issue. In due time you will be posting again about the stalling again. I followed the same path and the increase in idle only cut down on the stalling. Do yourself a favor and save some penny's and when you have enough buy your self a PCIII to totally eliminate the stalling. Most have gone this rought.

Enjoy the new ride and welcome to the forum.

1st gear issue = Dealer says it might need to come apart to be fixed, Sounds like a syncro. problem, and here what they said,

If the bike shifts in and out of all gears EXCEPT 1st gear the 1st gear syncro is probably at fault ,

To make the bike go into 1st when the problem occurs I have to turn the bike off and roll the bike slowly while in 2nd to move the main shaft and syncros untill the the 1st gear synco changes position in the trans, this proves a syncro failure and not the dryclutch problem as per some posters had mentioned.

IF the bike had the known Atypical dry clutch plate issue it would have problems with the clutch not disengaging fully causing

hard shifting into MANY OR ALL gears... and NOT JUST 1st gear. And it might also have the starter drag problem, (ie the bike cranks slow whith the clutch pulled in during failure mode proving sticking clutch) and it does not have that problem either. As I stated in my previous posts, I said this "wasn't a clutch problem", and for some reason A poster just skipped right over that fact and started being pushy, giving me the 3rd degree about how I should listen to him and all the others about the dry clutch issue, I had said that this wasnt a clutch problem, I had allready read about the dry clutch problems before I even started this tread, and since My bike had none of those symptoms I asked for input.

And the next time someone says" it isnt the a clutch problem" , try beliving him or her and move on to other tips or helpfull information

thx for the input dsmack, neihart, mcatropy,constant mesh,ceddec,donhandshy, and scrider,
WOW...You're a jackass

Sorry Iggy.

Dood, you need to run VERY far from that dealer and or tech.

You DO know that the FJR transmission contains NO synchros?

This is not your Father's Oldsmobile's 3-on-the-tree transmission with synchronized gearsets. It's a sequential-shift motorcycle transmission with "dogs".

Take a look at THIS.

Don't know what your gearbox problem is, but it is NOT a synchro problem.

IF it's not your clutch, then it's either horribly worn dogs (unlikely on such a new bike), bent or broken shift fork.

Either way, for a dealer to say

the dealer is COMPLETELY clueless and shouldn't be doing anything more technical than filling the tank or tires.
Ball's in your court.....

You DO know that the FJR transmission contains NO synchros.

This is not your Father's Oldsmobile's 3-on-the-tree transmission with synchronized gearsets. It's a sequential-shift motorcycle transmission with "dogs".

Take a look at THIS.

IF it's not your clutch, then it's either horribly worn dogs (unlikely on such a new bike), bent or broken shift fork.

the dealer is COMPLETELY clueless and shouldn't be doing anything more technical than filling the tank or tires.

I love it when some one come to the forum to ask for help then tells everyone they are wrong and don't have a clue!!

If you know everything why not start answering some questions instead of posing them?

"Nobody called you any names"
Fuckstick comes to mind... <_<
C'mon, Thug....

Don't get this thread closed.

I'm dyin' to hear how the bike came back from the dealer with new first-gear synchros and now it's all good. :ph34r:

Going back to the original post, just in case I missed something, this jumped out at me...

when I restart the bike to leave, it will not go back into 1st gear, it goes into neutral just fine, but not 1st, I shift it around a bit then.. give it a mean downshift past neutral.. and it finally slams into 1st
I'm takin' 2 to 1 odds it's a bent shift fork from trying to overcome clutch drag.

But then, WTF do I know?

You DO know that the FJR transmission contains NO synchros?

Take a look at THIS.

I'm sitting here with my tongue (actually fingertips) bleeding from biting it (them)!

I wish you well in your quest to repair the defective "synchro" with your stellar dealership! <_< Refer to Howie's excellent (and accurate) quote above...

Aside from your overly abrasive nature here, I sincerely hope you end up enjoying your new ride once you get it figured out, and the synchros "adjusted/repaired/located". :blink:

Ride on...

Don

Wirefire,

Thought you'd like to see what your "synchros" looked like, from the Factory Service Manual...

synchros.jpg

I have fewer miles on my 'new' '08 than you do on your '09, so for the heck of I just went down to the garage and did this:

1. Bike engine off. Bike in neutral. Clutch either engaged or disengaged. Try to shift into 1st. No luck = gear dogs not quite aligned yet. Move bike 3" either way and it shifts in and out of 1st just fine. Clutch makes no difference in this scenario. Normal.

2. Start bike in neutral. Pull my well oiled and fluid bled clutch all the way and shift easily in and out of neutral. Normal.

3. As above with clutch somewhat engaged to simulate a dry dragging clutch. Gears on one of the transmission shafts moving relative to those on the other. Hard to shift, if at all, and the gear dogs can be heard popping in and out of the holes on the adjacent gear trying to engage. Bad deal, hard wear on the gear dogs, and yields a rough shift if any.

I could bang it in under #3, but at a risk of further gear and shift fork damage.

Let a reputable Dealer fix it.

Gary in Fairbanks

Holy crap !!! welcome to the forum! Take a deep breath. These guys are here to help if you let them.

Damnit all! Bad enough we have to deal with noobs attempting to sell shit at inflated prices... Now this clown comin' in all 'I got the answers but I ain't tellin'

Christ whats this place coming to an Oprah Show? :dribble:

Take a hike ass lick..... plenty of places on the net devoted to the advancement of "Special Needs" Klowns..

Jeebus <_< No wonder I drink..

Fuk

:jester: