10,000 miles in 6 months

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikerbiker

Reaction score
Just turned 10k miles on ny 07 black cherry feejer bought in April 2007. Miles will slow over the winter months here in the northeast so not like i'd hit 20 in a year, maybe 13k if things work out. Anyway, my $.02:

1) Bike is awesome. Stock seat works fine for me - set at the higher level. Added the Yamaha Tall windshield about 1,500 miles ago and like it. Mostly have only 1/4 way up but does provide more protection than original. Spending this much time on the bike I'm very comfortable - usually lean over pretty far once i'm above 65mph. No hand vibration problems when i do that.

2) Stock Metzlers did great: Front was changed at 9,050 miles and rear was punctured by a 4" bolt at 7,200 but was wearing about the same.

3) After fueling up, really notice the extra weight sloshing around up top. Not complaining since I like the long range but feel like a supertanker on the superslab for a while after leaving a gas station.

Bike gets compliments most everywhere i go. Beemer-owners, especially. See alot of Harley's on the highway but they're always in trailers or the back of pickup trucks. Maybe one day i'll see one with its wheels turning...

Cheers :clapping:

Just turned 10k miles on ny 07 black cherry feejer bought in April 2007. Miles will slow over the winter months here in the northeast so not like i'd hit 20 in a year, maybe 13k if things work out. Anyway, my $.02:
1) Bike is awesome. Stock seat works fine for me - set at the higher level. Added the Yamaha Tall windshield about 1,500 miles ago and like it. Mostly have only 1/4 way up but does provide more protection than original. Spending this much time on the bike I'm very comfortable - usually lean over pretty far once i'm above 65mph. No hand vibration problems when i do that.

2) Stock Metzlers did great: Front was changed at 9,050 miles and rear was punctured by a 4" bolt at 7,200 but was wearing about the same.

3) After fueling up, really notice the extra weight sloshing around up top. Not complaining since I like the long range but feel like a supertanker on the superslab for a while after leaving a gas station.

Bike gets compliments most everywhere i go. Beemer-owners, especially. See alot of Harley's on the highway but they're always in trailers or the back of pickup trucks. Maybe one day i'll see one with its wheels turning...

Cheers :clapping:
Sounds like a fun riding season. I have honestly been really impressed with how little I notice added weight on the FJR. Maybe I just have terrible senses :lol:

I see more Harleys/cruisers on the road than anything other bike. Go figure...they sell more bikes than anyone else.

I got my '07 in May and have 9700 on it. It's really smoothed out since it was new. Stock seat and windscreen work ok for my riding, and I love my PCIII, heated grips, vest, etc etc.

Love my 07 - it's my favorite bike out of all the ones I've owned and riden. I hardly notice the weight difference after filling the tank. Stock seat has been okay. Added the Honda heated grips and they're the nutz.

I'm getting ready to load her out and make a 1200 mile run from Rochester NY to Vermont, New Hampshire, and Augusta ME to visit my Dad's grave site at the Maine Veteran's Cemetary this week ( Oct 19-21st) - It will probably be my last big outing for the season and leave me at close to 7,000 miles since June.

Out of all the bikes I've owned I've actaully so satisfied with the stock configuration that I have spent far less on mods than any other bike - Feej has saved me a lot of money on chrome! All I've added is a V-Steam sheild, heated grips, G2 throttle tube, Sliders, and Heated Grips.

Wow, you folks know how to hurt a guy. I bought my Black Cherry in April and I have a paltry 1900 miserable miles on it. I've finally got the windshield issue (buffeting & noise) under control after three shields. I rode to work all this last week (15 miles each way) and my ass is hurting so bad right now that I wouldn't dare think of any more torture on it. Maybe I'll try it again tomorrow, we'll see. I have two seats left out of the three I have bought (over $1000 invested) and I have a "Want to Buy" a stock seat on the forum now where I can have another seat built. My last seat, I might add because I'm fed up with the expense, the pain and the lack of riding time. Needless to say, there are things I absolutely love about the FJR or I wouldn't have fought this battle as long as I have. However, if I ever manage to get another stock seat to send to Russell and it don't do the trick, I will give up the battle and move on.

Glad to hear some folks are enjoying their FJR's. It gives me hope that mine will work out eventually. Enjoy, and by all means, ride safe!

The Hound

I've finally got the windshield issue (buffeting & noise) under control after three shields.
What shield did you end up with and how tall are you?

My only remaining hesitation over the FJR is wind roar.

I first bought a tall Yamaha, then a CalSci (triangular hole in front), then a VStream. I added the Skyway spacers last night, but can't give you an absolute on whether they help, hurt or do nothing. However, I can say definately that the VStream performs as advertised. It's quiet and the buffeting issue I had is practically non-existant. If you like some wind blowing in your face, the down position will do that. At fully extended the only noise you hear is the whirring of the engine. Absolutely nice! With the CalSci and the Yamaha, when I raised the shield buffeting and noise was horrible and you could hear the engine load up as if it were straining to push the air. The VStream cuts through the air with seemingly no difference in the position of the shield, up or down.

I'm 6' 2" as a reference. I highly recommend the VStream because unlike so many other farkles, it does what it's advertised to do. One other exceptional product I strongly recommend is the Shad top box. I have no experience with any others, however. Seats? I'm not going there this morning, I want to enjoy my weekend!

Good luck with your choice(s),

The Hound

I first bought a tall Yamaha, then a CalSci (triangular hole in front), then a VStream. I added the Skyway spacers last night, but can't give you an absolute on whether they help, hurt or do nothing. However, I can say definately that the VStream performs as advertised. It's quiet and the buffeting issue I had is practically non-existant. If you like some wind blowing in your face, the down position will do that. At fully extended the only noise you hear is the whirring of the engine. Absolutely nice! With the CalSci and the Yamaha, when I raised the shield buffeting and noise was horrible and you could hear the engine load up as if it were straining to push the air. The VStream cuts through the air with seemingly no difference in the position of the shield, up or down.
I'm 6' 2" as a reference. I highly recommend the VStream because unlike so many other farkles, it does what it's advertised to do. One other exceptional product I strongly recommend is the Shad top box. I have no experience with any others, however. Seats? I'm not going there this morning, I want to enjoy my weekend!

The Hound

Wow, you folks know how to hurt a guy. I bought my Black Cherry in April and I have a paltry 1900 miserable miles on it. I've finally got the windshield issue (buffeting & noise) under control after three shields. I rode to work all this last week (15 miles each way) and my ass is hurting so bad right now that I wouldn't dare think of any more torture on it. Maybe I'll try it again tomorrow, we'll see. I have two seats left out of the three I have bought (over $1000 invested) and I have a "Want to Buy" a stock seat on the forum now where I can have another seat built. My last seat, I might add because I'm fed up with the expense, the pain and the lack of riding time. Needless to say, there are things I absolutely love about the FJR or I wouldn't have fought this battle as long as I have. However, if I ever manage to get another stock seat to send to Russell and it don't do the trick, I will give up the battle and move on.
Glad to hear some folks are enjoying their FJR's. It gives me hope that mine will work out eventually. Enjoy, and by all means, ride safe!

The Hound
30 miles -- in two 15 mile trips????? You must have something else going on to be in pain???

I got my bike July 27, 2007 and now have over 10,000 miles on it. Love it have done 2 1000+ mile weekend trips and 1 10 day 4000 camping trip in Canada.

Nex year I plan on doing some Iron butt type rides like a BBG 1500 mile in 24 hours or less and a 48++ that is 48 states plus Mexico plus Canada and Alask in under 10 days.

I need to get a few LD farkels installed this winter and a new seat from Rich before next year, but other than that the bike is great.

Lori

BKR CHK

The Hound
EXPDSGT

Here's what I said "I rode to work all this last week (15 miles each way) and my ass is hurting so bad right now that I wouldn't dare think of any more torture on it." You did the math, but you didn't read the problem. "All last week" means 5 days times your math which means 5 times 30 miles which equals 150 miles, not 30 miles. Now I didn't get into specifics, but my ass was already hurting from the weekend prior which equated to another 150 miles before the week's travel to work. Total of 300 miles with basically no break for ass repair. You made the math mistake and I failed to realize that there were any proctologists reading this board. However, I do appreciate the free diagnosis. :rolleyes:

The Hound

He's probably right about the "something else going on" comment. I have 17,000 on my '06 (purchased used in August, 2006). I commute 20 miles each way 5 days a week year round. I've been on a few day long group rides and to WFO-6 riding non-stop to and from Park City, UT from Sacramento, CA. 600+ miles each way. All this on a stock seat. I do have risers, aftermarket windshield, electronic cruise control, PCIII and G2 (?) throttle/cam with a reduced middle spring. Thankfully the stock seat is good enough for this type of riding for me. YMMV! I will eventually put an aftermarket seat on later after I retire and start to really "tour", probably a Bill Meyer. Or, maybe I'll just buy a GW to go along with my FJR.

After all, this is my...

Last Chance :thumbsupsmileyanim: :drinks:

Ok I 'll chime,

I bought my 07 this past May. Got a little over 7k on the odo now and the chill is in the air here in God's Country BUT I hope to roll at least to 8k b4 the snow floats in. No complaints about my FJR. I will be due to replace the Oem Metz 6's and really like the fact that I was able to get this far on them. TBS was a synch. My farkles include mostly cosmetic stuff, stripes, Givi E52 trunk, backrest and the Remus Hexacones!! Here is a link to my latest pics:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...faces&st=20

Scroll all the way down for the last pics posted.....

WOW... I do LOVE this BIKE!!

WW

EXPDSGT
Here's what I said "I rode to work all this last week (15 miles each way) and my ass is hurting so bad right now that I wouldn't dare think of any more torture on it." You did the math, but you didn't read the problem. "All last week" means 5 days times your math which means 5 times 30 miles which equals 150 miles, not 30 miles. Now I didn't get into specifics, but my ass was already hurting from the weekend prior which equated to another 150 miles before the week's travel to work. Total of 300 miles with basically no break for ass repair. You made the math mistake and I failed to realize that there were any proctologists reading this board. However, I do appreciate the free diagnosis. :rolleyes:

The Hound
Yea, but 150 miles is still kind of candy assing it. If you're ass was still hurting from the weekend prior, then I know you don't have enough time in the saddle. You should go ride another 10,000 or so before you pass judgement on the seat (and maybe let yourself get used to it too). Even 300 miles, I can do that on a stock seat 5 times over and am still good to go. :lol:

The Hound
I have read a lot of comments about the stock seat. I have 7,000 mile on my bone stock 07 and the seat works fine. What you might try is toughing it out with a particular seat and lots of saddle time so your butt can toughen up. just a suggestion

EXPDSGT

The Hound
Yea, but 150 miles is still kind of candy assing it. If you're ass was still hurting from the weekend prior, then I know you don't have enough time in the saddle. You should go ride another 10,000 or so before you pass judgement on the seat (and maybe let yourself get used to it too). Even 300 miles, I can do that on a stock seat 5 times over and am still good to go. :lol:
Okay, I believe I stated "Glad to hear some folks are enjoying their FJR's. It gives me hope that mine will work out eventually. Enjoy, and by all means, ride safe!." I never implied that any of you weren't enjoying your seat or were lying about your experiences or anything negative about any of you or your machines or seats. Now I see I'm a candy ass and you "know I don't have enough time in the saddle". Well, here's what I know. You don't know shit about me, my riding time, what kind of seat I have, what I need or don't need. Your experience and opinion works fine for you about you and your ride only. Too, I can give two shits less about what you think I need. Strange how Mississippi has all these Eiensteins that knows what everyone else needs and has always ranked at the absolute bottom of the educational system of the United States.

Ride Safe,

The Hound

Here's what I said "I rode to work all this last week (15 miles each way) and my ass is hurting so bad right now that I wouldn't dare think of any more torture on it." You did the math, but you didn't read the problem. "All last week" means 5 days times your math which means 5 times 30 miles which equals 150 miles, not 30 miles.
The Hound

I think the point he was trying to make was that even after 150 miles, it's a bit strange to have your ass hurting so bad. Especially if a 15 mile ride makes it hurt.

Personal Questions:

Do you ride with your wallet in your back pocket?

Do you ride in boxers, briefs, or no underwear? (Seriously, I'm not interested in your lingerie choices, but this makes a huge difference)

Do you ride in jeans?

Do you have any bar backs on your bike?

Do you have a history of back pain?

Are you holding on to the grips too tight?

Are you tense while riding? Not alert - but full-on tense?

Do you keep your toes on the pegs, or rest your bootheels on them?

Any one of things can affect your comfort (IMO). Sure, the stock seat may or may not suck total ass, but 15 miles/trip, or even 150 shouldn't cause the discomfort you describe. Hell, even the hard-as-a-rock-I'd-rather-ride-a-2x-4-Corbin on my R1150RT was good for 400 miles before I had to get off. 650 miles was the extreme edge of that pile.

Also, try a sheepskin or gel pad if you can borrow one - may be something worth trying... ?