10 Days in Colorado - Over 200 photos

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertwy

Reaction score
My son (he rides the FJR) and I completed our annual 10 day ride. This time we went to Colorado and stayed within the state for 8 of those days. I think we covered the best roads throughout the state.

I have maps of each day's ride and then the pictures I took each day documented on my website.

Once you've launched the site www.st-texas.com click on "Trips", then click on "Colorado2007" at the bottom of the "Long Trips" section.

I have the maps in both Microsoft Streets and Trips and MapSource for Garmin. If anyone would like to have a copy, click on the "Contact" tab and send an email.

Just click the link below and I hope you enjoy.

Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed seeing the pictures of your adventure.

Looked like ya’ll had some rough weather on more than one occasion.

Robert,

Thanks for such a fantastic website! Phenomenal photography, great narration, and a solid layout. I have been visiting your webpage for a few months now and it is incredible.

My father-in-law (in San Antonio) and I (in Flower Mound) are planning a Colorado trip next summer on our bikes.

Your webpage has actually been an inspiration for us. We may tap into your knowledge before we go (if you don't mind?). We have never undertaken a long trip like that before. Hell, I just got into motorcycling about 3 months ago (and loving it).

It sure looks like you and your son had a great journey. Thanks again for the sharing of your trips and adventures.

<Salute>

In Appreciations,

Rex

RLTW!!

My son (he rides the FJR) and I completed our annual 10 day ride. This time we went to Colorado and stayed within the state for 8 of those days. I think we covered the best roads throughout the state.
Very nicely done. Your website is put together in a very user friendly way. I really enjoyed browsing through those beautiful pictures. It brought back happy memories of our 2005 trip to Colorado. We included RMNP but much earlier in the year, so there was a lot of snow. The Alpine rest area access had been plowed just a week earlier, so we rode between fifteen feet high banks of snow.

What a treat for you and you son to share this trip together. I hope you have lots of happy memories, and many more such trips together.

Jill

Your webpage has actually been an inspiration for us. We may tap into your knowledge before we go (if you don't mind?). We have never undertaken a long trip like that before. Hell, I just got into motorcycling about 3 months ago (and loving it).Rex
Rex, just let me know how I can help in your planning. I'll be happy to do what I can.

Excelllent job. How do you stay so organized? How often do you two switch bikes?
I layed out the website a couple of years ago at work when I wasn't very busy. So now, after a trip, I basically just cut and paste pages and only have to change the file source for the new pictures and then type in the new narrative.

I've been on several motorcyle trips, but discovered that over the years the pictures have been misplaced or packed away to who knows where. That's the main reason I did the website. Now all of my pictures are saved on the host server and I can't lose them.

As for switching bikes, we did a couple of times last year when they were new. However, now we just ride our own, I guess because we're just used to them.

Thanks for your reply,

Great report. I have ridden many of those roads over the years. Fall is fast approaching now and I am trying to get in as many rides as I can. You see, living in Granby in the mountains we have a short season. Your report made me want to get out and ride even more. Just have to wait for my days off.

Great report. I have ridden many of those roads over the years. Fall is fast approaching now and I am trying to get in as many rides as I can. You see, living in Granby in the mountains we have a short season. Your report made me want to get out and ride even more. Just have to wait for my days off.
You're so lucky it hurts. Man, that's great country. I have to ride 600 miles to get where it's nice. You have to ride, maybe 60 feet.

Thanks for your comments.

The day 1 route looks awfully familiar. I'm originally from Lawton, and have cousins in CO Springs. We'd head west from Lawton through Altus and pick up 287 to Amarillo, then north and across to Raton, same route. Capulin's not as far off the road as you said it was, I took the kids up there one trip on the way back. The road doesn't go all the way up, there's a trail up and into the caldera. My wife and I elected to let the kids enjoy that. . . . Us Southern boys can't breathe in the thin dry air, partial pressure of water vapor too low or somethin'.

I wasn't riding back then, and now I live in the coastal lowlands of the Deep South. It'd be great to get the bike out there someday, very jealous.

Last edited by a moderator:
You got some phenominal rides in on that one. You were so close to one of my favorites twice. When you went through Evergreen, from the South you came to a light near Bear Creek and turned left. If you went right, you would have been on of my all time favorite canyon roads. Then again, I'm biased. I grew up on that road :)

Thanks for the pics and story. Great stuff!