10 Motorcycle Myths

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was bike shopping I considered possible gas savings. With OUT tires in the equation it was going to take 10 years.Now that I know about the tire expense, It's going to take a lifetime to break even.
You gotta do the math. My Goldwing was actually a tiny bit cheaper per mile because the tires lasted 12,000 miles or so. My ZRX, on the other hand, gets 4000 miles a set if I run a sport touring tire, and gets worse fuel mileage. So it cost more per mile than my truck. Plus, gas was cheaper then. As gas prices have risen it has become more likely that the per mile costs are cheaper on the bike. Then you have to divide the cost of the bike by the savings per mile. For instance, save $.02 a mile and you'll pay for a $10,000 bike in a half million miles or so
wink.png
I've said this since 2005. If you don't factor initial cost an 1800 Wing is one of, if not the cheapest Bike to operate. Up to 50 mpg on regular, tires(Car Tire on the rear) and batteries last longer, no chain or gears to replace every 20-30,000. 32K between valve checks. BUT....if you go crazy on accessories! That'll blow any savings .

When I was bike shopping I considered possible gas savings. With OUT tires in the equation it was going to take 10 years.Now that I know about the tire expense, It's going to take a lifetime to break even.
You gotta do the math. My Goldwing was actually a tiny bit cheaper per mile because the tires lasted 12,000 miles or so. My ZRX, on the other hand, gets 4000 miles a set if I run a sport touring tire, and gets worse fuel mileage. So it cost more per mile than my truck. Plus, gas was cheaper then. As gas prices have risen it has become more likely that the per mile costs are cheaper on the bike. Then you have to divide the cost of the bike by the savings per mile. For instance, save $.02 a mile and you'll pay for a $10,000 bike in a half million miles or so
wink.png
I've said this since 2005. If you don't factor initial cost an 1800 Wing is one of, if not the cheapest Bike to operate. Up to 50 mpg on regular, tires(Car Tire on the rear) and batteries last longer, no chain or gears to replace every 20-30,000. 32K between valve checks. BUT....if you go crazy on accessories! That'll blow any savings .
The most inexpensive bike to operate I've ever owned was a Kawasaki Voyager XII. 50mpg was easy to attain, and the K491 tires were cheap and lasted very well. It had hydraulic valves, so maintenance was basically an oil change every few thousand miles with a final drive every other oil change or so. I toured on the bike for six years, and I don't remember doing anything to it except one fuel pump and the occasional oil change. It was also among the least exciting bikes I've ever owned, but I had an FJ1200 and ZRX1100 to play with ;)

The GL1800 is an economical bike to operate, though. I checked the valves myself every 32K or so, but in 111,000 miles I never had to adjust one. I've go a buddy with 150,000 miles on one, and he says he's never adjusted a valve either, though he's had them checked. Another friend just rolled over 100,000 miles, and again, checked but no adjustment. I'm started to think the valve check is just a precaution ;)

I thought the GL1800 got mpgs in the mid 30s?
In the 111,000 miles I put on mine if averaged 42.6 mpg. It got a low of 23.6 and a high of 56.9. The 23.6 was more fun ;)

They're all over the board, though. I rode to a New York with a friend who also had an '02 model, and I consistently got 15% to 20% better than he did. We rode the same distance together, so it's hard to see how he could have ridden that much differently.

Valkyrie yes! 1800s...not most. 50mpg 2-up and traveling 2-lanes at 50 mph average with bags and trunk loaded. 50+ mpg rolling in to work on backroads. You'd havta be runnin' triple digits on superslab or rockin' and rolling with sportbikes to get back down in the 30s. Which I have done many times when I first got it.

FYI; 2000 Valkyrie Tourer was the LEAST economical Bike I ever had and the least ground clearance. No fun in the curves. Hence I bought the Wing in 05 and have never regretted that move.

My GL1500 got that if I was careful. I seldom got the numbers most people reported because I seldom rode at 55 - 60 mph. I got as little as 19 mpg in a few cases.
wink.png
The only time I got 40 was when riding in a group of old people.
The 1500 still used carburetors, and I think the average mileage improved with the fuel injection. At least, people who'd ridden both told me it had -- I had no experience with the 1500.

My GL1500 got that if I was careful. I seldom got the numbers most people reported because I seldom rode at 55 - 60 mph. I got as little as 19 mpg in a few cases.
wink.png
The only time I got 40 was when riding in a group of old people.

Wait. Hypothetical question here:

When you are an old people, how do you ride in a group that isn't "with old people."

Last edited by a moderator:
Mexican American beer is swill.

Oh wait, that isn't a myth
blink.png

kiss2.gif

Ummm, actually that is a huge myth.

Yes some American (meaning both US and Canadian) beer is swill. But, some of the very best beers in the world are made in those counties. If you think that Bud, Miller, and Coors are what defines US beer then you haven't looked very closely.

Now to bring this back around on topic:

Myth: It'll be alright to ride my bike after only a couple of those weak North American beers.

Last edited by a moderator: