10% restocking fee for yamaha parts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrbird

Reaction score
I've order three parts at my local yamaha dealer and was notified that one of the part has to be back order with 1 and 1/2 month waiting. I decided to cancel the entire order but was charged 10% restocking fee. I haven't yet picked up the other two parts. Is this a common practice at all Yamaha dealer? I never heard of restocking fee at my local Autozone parts store. I then search around the Internet and found boats.net that stocks Yamaha FJR1300 parts. The total 3 parts cost half of the dealer's charge.

It's not unheard of to be charged a restocking fee especially for items not normally stocked. They could sit for years on the dealers shelf.

Good find on boats.net. I used them recently for an oem part. Might want to check your local dealers website on restocking fees.

If no website did they make you aware of this policy? You may have a legit gripe if it isn't posted somewhere obvious.

On the bright side if the dealer had all your parts on hand you probably would not now know about the bucks you can save. ;)

powersportplus.com also carries yamaha oem parts. For example, for headlight assembly with very competitive price: https://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2006/FJR13+Electric+Shift+-+FJR13AEV/HEADLIGHT/parts.html#uloc6. Fortunately my order amount wasn't that much so 10% isn't that bad but I'll be more careful next time around if the order value are in the hundreds of dollars. I originally thought that only Yamaha dealers carry OEM parts. From my experience with searching online for parts, if I don't know part #, it's very hard to turn them up. Popular part search might help but unpopular parts, ie. one within a headlight cable adjuster assembly won't return any good result.

In the future, go to sites like cheapcycleparts or bikebandit and use their

fiche to locate parts and numbers. Use their prices for comparison shopping

if you find that necessary.

Keep in mind, in most cases, orders for OEM parts may not be cancelable

once placed. Or in best cases, for a restocking charge.