100,000 miles too much ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDM

Reaction score
Have a chance to pick up a 2006 ,well farkled , supposedly scrupulously maintained ,for $4000 .

My concern is the mileage -118,000 . Looking at the mileage milestones thread ,I see a couple of blown engines around this mileage . Was wondering what the concensus was around here as to bike longevity.

Is this a deal ,or a money pit ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Silly question. Your title says 100,00k, is that kilometers? If it's miles, to split hairs it should say 100k. 100,000 kilometers is still a fairly young motorcycle.

It helps to have a rough idea of where the poster lives.

Just sold my 06 with 130K kms, took about 3 weeks.

That kind of kms in Australia is unheard of, had several enquires about the bike and all were put off by the mileage.

I said to various people that the first to view would buy her, and they did.

Just 2 little stone chips on the front fairing the size of a pin heads.

Had all my own servicing documented, about 7 pages of spreadsheets.

Had a box of receipts and a lot of accessories.

It was one of the cheapest FJR's listed, esp for a Gen2.

I think people have to get it into their heads that that kind of mileage is nothing for a FJR

I would have loved to keep her but needed the money, on a partial disabled pension for about another year.

I asked the gent for first dibbs if he sells her.

It's worth more in sentimental value to me, or spare parts for my 07, than what I sold it for.

100k miles (or more) is nothing on a bike that has been well cared for. But some people tend to ignore maintenance for far too long (you read about it here all the time) and you could be buying into a money pit if a lot of things start going out in fast succession. Of course, this is always the risk of buying any used bike, even a garage queen. All in all, I haven't taken a bath on any used bike over the years. But some have been better deals than others.

I've never once bought myself a new bike. I'm not particularly flush, and just could never bring myself to take the big financial hit of riding one off the lot. But I'm getting to the age now where I feel like it might be worth doing at least once in this lifetime, just for the sure exhilaration of it. And the 3rd gen FJR would be very high on the list of probably candidates. In fact, I really can't think what would be #2.

$4000 for an 06 is pretty good. Go look at it. Only you can decide if its worth it to you. Engine failure on the FJR is rare.

Good luck.

Rob

Kraft Dinner Man - where are you situated?

Is that 108,000 kilometers or miles?

I'm guessing miles or it would be no big deal.

Al.

Run and find something with alot less miles. Although FJR's are capable of running longer, its still a heck of a lot of mileage for to me.

Sorry- 100000 miles - or 100k miles . Oops .

And I'm located in sunny Floriduhh.

I am guessing this is the bike you are looking at: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/142080-sold-2006-fjr1300a-rally-bike-with-every-farkle/

If so, the farkles list is huge and definitely adds some value. That being said, for a bike with that many miles a very specific and detailed maintenance history is critical. $4k? Tough call. It does have a lot of farkles if it is the one above. A big question is what maintenance stuff is due or will be due soon that could cost $$$$? Like a valve check or a suspension rebuild.

FJR engines can go a long time with proper maintenance, yet with 118k on the clock already, you are taking small chance that this one *could* die in the 150k range. The good news is that you can get low mile replacement engines off ebay for relatively cheap.

The bike is worth more if it has Mods instead of Farkles.
uhuh.gif

For my money, I would keep looking, unless the suspension has been replaced/upgraded. Even with farkles, a shock/fork replacement/rebuild will run you up to what a lower mileage bike would cost, and at 118K the suspension has to be tired.

No SkooterG -not THAT many farkles ! It does have the things important to me ,including Mayer seat ,heli risers . pc III , suspension upgrades on both ends. Also new plugs ,valve adjustment ,cam chain tensioner.

Looks to be pretty straight-will see it this weekend. May take a chance depending on what I see as far as documentation. I do appreciate all the response . This is turning into my favorite forum.

Regardless of how many farkles the bike has, you're at the very high end of it's value.

Consider this... if the bike dies in three or even six months, you have nothing but a paper-weight until you spend another $1000 - $1500 for a new used engne plus the cost of installation. And then, after the engine transplant you've still got a bike that doesn't have a lot of value.

If you plan to ride it until the wheels fall off, it *might* be worth $4K, if not consider how hard it's going to be for you to sell it.

Just my $.02.

--G

I am guessing this is the bike you are looking at: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/142080-sold-2006-fjr1300a-rally-bike-with-every-farkle/
^ I saw that bike in Denver and Salt Lake City last fall.. It is back up for sale

FJR engines can go a long time with proper maintenance, yet with 118k on the clock already, you are taking small chance that this one *could* die in the 150k range.
Skooter- DO NOT even think those thoughts... Please NOT at the 150k mark

KrZy8 puked just shy of 150k.

Ran great until it didn't.

Autopsy showed she had run for 100k? miles w/ unfiltered air path.

The transplant engine is stronger and has less vibes.

I'd pass, unless your like me and are willing to ride it until the wheels literally fall off.

The transmission and how it's been treated would be my major concern with a used bike. It would be nice if one could look inside the transmission and inspect the shifting forks, the gears and dogs, etc. to identify unusual wear of the shifting system.

KrZy8 puked just shy of 150k. Ran great until it didn't. Autopsy showed she had run for 100k? miles w/ unfiltered air path. The transplant engine is stronger and has less vibes. I'd pass, unless your like me and are willing to ride it until the wheels literally fall off.
Don, how did the unfiltered air path occur? I missed this, and of course it doesn't help you live a long way up an unpaved goat trail.