1000km and loving it!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amboman

Reaction score
Just wanted to share that I have now ridden my new to me 2010 FJR 1000km since picking it up 3 weeks ago. Weather here is not great (just heading into winter) but managed a great weekend ride last weekend traveling about 600kms and the rest has been urban commuting.

Bought the FJR after selling my C109RT, and have decided it's the best decision I have made for a very long time. "She who must be obeyed" agrees that the FJR is twice the bike the Boulevard was and is now asking when we are going for the next ride.

On that note, very proud of my lovely wife Nicky as she is a new learner rider and has been improving immensely over the last few weeks. Nicky also rides a Yamaha but a little smaller than the FJR. The 225 Scorpio Z we bought her to challenge her learner license on has also been great. We are now looking to up grade to a nice smooth 600cc bike for her. Probably look at a FZ6R or similar.

Thanks for letting me share.

Congrats... I have about 400kms on my 07. Will take a couple extended weekend camping trips soon to add on some kms and really get to know her. Wonderful bike thus far.

Ambomen - My son's fiancé learned and a Ninja 250 initially and then we got her an FZ6R. We put a lowering kit on it also. The FZ6R is a wonderful bike overall; she's able to mostly keep up with us on the bigger bikes. It's smooth and handles great.

Thanks for the info on the FZ6R. Does any one have any thoughts on the CB500X (47hp). This model is also up for consideration by us as a step up bike for "she who must be obeyed". Current bike the boss rides is a 225 Yamaha Scorpio that she is out growing very quickly. With the CBTA licensing system we have here in New Zealand the choices are a little limited. If we were to purchase a FZ6R it would come with factory restriction so instead of being around 88hp it would only have 33hp to meet the licensing requirements. It is illegal to remove the restriction even if owner has a full license, this is because once registered as a learner approved motorcycle it cannot be changed.

We want to avoid buying a bike that wife will out grow again in a short space of time! Wife still has around 18mths until able to challenge the full license test.

1000k in three weeks? Hell - 1000k's..... that was sunday

aikido.gif

heh. I've only had mine about a month or so as well but Im liking mine just as you are. The bike has the ability to drink in quite a lot of miles!

Weather here has not been great so as it new bike to me I was not keen to push my luck. Don't plan to use bike as a commuter so will be long distance trips only. Of course you have to realise I can travel from one end of the country to the other in about 2 twelve hour days. But what a country, roads are great, scenery is fantastic and on a whole weather is pretty good compare to most other countries!

There is a lot of choice in NZ for your lady!

The 225 is a super little machine incredible fun (unlike the strangely popular and uninspiring GN250)!

As a next step up one of the 650 adventure bikes - with a lowering kit but only if needed. An F650 or similar can be picked up reasonably easily but, as a learner bike which will play with the big boys, I would highly recommend the Transalp 650 - not slow, easy to ride and really reliable - I have done 220,000kms on mine.

Don't forget that as well as being a small country (and a maximum of 129km from the sea) there is a special offer on corners & bends, if you go round one you get three free! I have done 1000km in around 10 hours once in the north island (Capital 1000Km Cruise) - it took a lot of work. But in Europe that distance was in 10 hours easy-as.

Will you be looking to partake in one of the longer organised rides? like the TT2000, chatto creek or NI1600?

At this stage looking at a North Island tour mid summer likely two up on the FJR. Hoping to find something a little more long trip friendly before then so we can go on a few weekend rides together in the South Island. We have looked at the dual purpose machines but wife has decided that they are not for her although she likes the look of the CB500X and is keen to try for size.

The scorpio has been great and we both agree the GN was not for us.