120/70ZR17 Avon Storm Not Recommended By Southwest Mototire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerray

Reaction score
I was just looking at Southwest Mototire's prices on the Avon Storms and see that they have a special note on the 120/70ZR17 front tire that says "not recommended." Have they gotten a hold of a bad batch of Storms? I've been wondering myself because my present worn out Storm on the front rides as though there is a bump on it. I've checked brake rotors and all and everything seems to be fine so I pretty much figured it was the tire.

Oh, it wasn't quite so worn out when I first noticed it; it's been this way for a while now. Also, you can't actually see anything wrong with the tire (other than it's worn on the sides).

I did use the search, but didn't see anything specific to Southwest Mototires warning.

Click here to see their ad https://tinyurl.com/2o355q

Not sure why SW Moto doesn't recommend them, but I don't either. I ordered a set, front and rear, just before WFO, Installed the front right after WFO, and I HATE the SOB!! :angry: It wobbles severely under 10 mph and weaves all over the driving lane, making it very difficult to keep a straight line in slow traffic. It also causes a pretty good case of handlebar slap at moderate speeds if I let go of even one grip. At higher speeds it is ok and rides and handles quite well.

I might e-mail SW Moto and ask if there is any recourse.

I have had 5 sets of tires on my 05 (45K miles) and the Avon Storm front tire (6K miles) is severely cupped. Tread blocks are flat on alternating sides of the tire. Below 45 mph the bars wiggle from side to side. My Avon V45/V46 tires lasted 14k miles with no cupping at all. Anybody else experienced this???

Damn, I am at 4500 miles with my Storms and they are holding up great so far (fingers crossed). The front is wearing very evenly and the rear, with 4500 miles looks almost new. My Azero front tire on the other hand was a POS and cupped so badly at 6k miles it was downright scary. Looks like PR2's for the next round...I just hope I can get 8-9k out of these first.

As the others have mentioned, Avon's can have a horrendous wobble at low speeds and some have experienced the same at high speeds. Just for the record, this is not specifically for the FJR... I've been on a FZ1 and a FZ6 that both had Avons and they both scared the hell out of me.

The other side of that coin is that some of the long distance guys swear by them and have never had a problem with Avons.

Personally, I'm sticking with the Diablo Stradas... It's by far the best tire I've had on the Feej. If you're looking for new shoes, I'd recommend at least checking them out if you haven't considered them before.

The other side of that coin is that some of the long distance guys swear by them and have never had a problem with Avon's.
I got screwed listening to their recommendation on the Avon Storms.

It will not happen again.

Others here on this forum have proven their credibility.

Bob

I bought two sets of Storms earlier this year during the toecutter group buy. The first front tire didn't go 5k miles before it was cupped beyond use. The second front has been on for over 12k miles and is now down to the wear bars with very little cupping. I bought both of these sets at the same time. Go figure.

Thanks for the replies. I guess In posted in the wrong sub-forum. Sorry about that.

I guess I'll get away from the Storms too, although, I've gotten higher mileage from the rear Storm than I have from any other tire. The mileage is what concerns me the most, as I can't tell a bit of difference between the performance of any of the tires I've had on the FJR. In other words, all of the tires that I've tried have been pretty good.

So far, of all the tires I've tried in the last 83,000 miles, the only one I don't recommend for the front would be the Avon Storm and for the rear I don't recommend the Metzeler Z6, as you can't really tell when you're getting near to the cords when it's worn in the center (other than that, it seems to be a fine tire, though).

I bought two sets of Storms earlier this year during the toecutter group buy. The first front tire didn't go 5k miles before it was cupped beyond use. The second front has been on for over 12k miles and is now down to the wear bars with very little cupping. I bought both of these sets at the same time. Go figure.
Exactly so. Which is why all tire threads are immediately NERPT..... they are way too subjective; one man's treasure is another man's trash....

And just to illustrate why tire threads are NERPT: in my personal experience (with many tens of thousands of miles using these tires under every condition imaginable), the handling and grip of the Avon Storm are about the best of any sport-touring tire I have ever used (although the rear Storm treadlife is a downer).

I still have two new front Storms left over from BBGHW.... each can easily go well over twice the treadlife of a rear Storm, so I'll be buying up 4 rear Storms before I have to order any more fronts.

Just another NERPT data point.... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've ran 2 fronts & 4 rears before putting on the PR2s. Only problem for me on the Storms was the rear tire life, otherwise I would still be running them. With 2K on the PR2s I've got to say there are very sticky & nice handling (similar to Storms ) but a slight bit more effort for turn in. Now if mileage is longer than about 5K (prefer 8 - 10 K) I'll have another set.

And just to illustrate why tire threads are NERPT: in my personal experience (with many tens of thousands of miles using these tires under every condition imaginable), the handling and grip of the Avon Storm are about the best of any sport-touring tire I have ever used (although the rear Storm treadlife is a downer).
Just another NERPT data point.... :rolleyes:
I would have to agree with WC on this tire except in my limited experience (two fronts, two rears) the front tire wears out just as fast as the rear. There is tread left but the two front tires I've run have developed such nasty handling characteristics, kicking in at the 4K miles mark, that I've taken them off with less than 5K miles on them. And the first front tire I tried got rid of the nasty decel headshake I had with the Azaros. I was so happy until the miles piled up...

Still have two rears and another front to waste before switching to 021s or PR2s

Just one more NERPT data point.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

dougc

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm another not so happy camper in terms of Storms, Azzaros were great..13K front and rear in hot ole S.Tejas, my current Storms are at 4K and the rear may only have 1K left...still good grip, especially in rain,... I'm hopin' someone will post up about the new PR2's...i'd give up a little grip for double the miles...and my front also wobbles more with Storms vs Azzaros...nuttin major just that lil shimmy...As a kid i remember Avon being the discounts i put on my RD250's...aahhh...when smoke was blue....

Blessings,

Bobby

I'm another not so happy camper in terms of Storms, Azzaros were great..13K front and rear in hot ole S.Tejas, my current Storms are at 4K and the rear may only have 1K left...still good grip, especially in rain,... I'm hopin' someone will post up about the new PR2's...i'd give up a little grip for double the miles...and my front also wobbles more with Storms vs Azzaros...nuttin major just that lil shimmy...As a kid i remember Avon being the discounts i put on my RD250's...aahhh...when smoke was blue....

Blessings,

Bobby

My experience with Avon "wobble" on the front tire, led me to a phone conversation with a very nice Avon tech support guy. He explained to me that the center rain groove is in itself a constant back and forth pattern, and that at lower speeds, the tire tries to follow this pattern on a dry road. Bikes with steering dampers don't feel it, but FJRs do. Just don't let go of the handlebars under 55mph and it's not there.VT

I bought a couple of sets of the Azaros recently at bargain prices. One set is on my wife's FZ1, one set on my FJR. The FJR weaves and wobbles at low speeds, the FZ1 is fine. I can't wait to wear them out so I can go back to PRs!

The second front has been on for over 12k miles and is now down to the wear bars with very little cupping.
This is my experience to.

In fact .. the Michelin Classic II (PR carcass with classic tread ..I think .. came with the bike ... ) was wiggling after 8000 miles.

Still .. on the VFR I really liked the Strada's, but it sounds they don't last very long on the FJR.

I'll add another "won't buy another Storm" to the mix. PO had Storms on the bike, with a new rear and a shagged front. Put an new Storm on the front to pass inspection. It actually handled and felt really nice. But at about 5K miles, it was hitting the wear bars and was cupped badly. The rear still looks to have at least half its life left, so I stuck another Storm on the front as I'm heading out to Kansas City on Sunday. The new Storm actually feels worse than the old cupped one. Horrible. I hope to burn it up fast. I have a front and rear set of PR2s on order from Motorcycle Superstore that I will be itching to mount up.