120/70ZR17 Avon Storm Not Recommended By Southwest Mototire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed with about any tire that I get a wobble upon deceleration at around 45ish MPH. I've replaced steering head bearings and retorqued everything in the recent past too.

Wierd post to me. Storms have been my favorite except for rear tread wear. No cup and no wobble on my 06A. I've tried Metzlers, Dunlop D220 and Roadsmart and Bridgestone in 70,000 miles on this bike. Now I just put on a Storm on the front and a Roadsmart on the back.

My experience with Storms was a small amount of wobble at slow speeds (if you took your hands off the bars) and some cupping, but really not much more than any other tires I've run. They are, however, my favorite handling tires so far. I probably got around 6,000 miles out of a set. To me the good handling outweighed all the other negatives. I guess the main thing that bothers me about them is the inconsistant quality control. One tire may be worse than another. You never know what you could get.

GP

I'm on my second front and third rear Storm and love them - way better than the factory Z6. I have a close friend with an FJR and he is one set of Storms ahead of me - and loves his also.

One thing I can say for absolute sure about motorcycle tires. You can google any tire and find people who love them and people who hate them. And there seem to be bad batches of every tire by every mfr. I try to learn from these forums, but have found it impossible for tires and seats (the love/hate relationship with Corbin for instance).

My experience with Storms was a small amount of wobble at slow speeds (if you took your hands off the bars) and some cupping, but really not much more than any other tires I've run. They are, however, my favorite handling tires so far. I probably got around 6,000 miles out of a set. To me the good handling outweighed all the other negatives. I guess the main thing that bothers me about them is the inconsistant quality control. One tire may be worse than another. You never know what you could get.
GP
I agree completely. One thing my friend and I have found is that the miles we get on our rear Storms varies quite a bit.

I've found that the amount of mileage I get on any rear tire depends on the twisting of my right hand. I tried to baby a rear a few years ago by not cranking the throttle open a lot and not using the engine to slow the bike down. Just wanted to see if it would make much difference. I think it made about a 800 to 1,000 mile difference for me. I did get a little bored riding like that though. :D

GP