1200CC YAMAHA dual sport

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well so far it's been good; The original FJ1100 and with more HP, the RZ 500 The FZ 750 debut up here, The MT-01 which is still not in the States, The additional HP of the Canadian spec FJR, and now the 1200 Dual Sport...... Nice......
Are you trying to get some of us Southern Canuckians to move farther North?

Oh wait....Winter motorcycling is done on a snowmobile. <_<

1200?! For a DS?! Way, way to effin' big.
?????? You mean that we have to tell Beemer that the 1200GS will never sell?

I rode the big Strom in Germany 2(?) years before it was available here. I'd like to see this Yam1200 here and while we 'Mericans do keep getting screwed on not being able to buy some great bikes, I'm guessing that this one is more likely to happen. MamaYama can't keep ignoring the market loss to V-Stroms, 1200GS, and naked bikes.

Was out riding saturday and stopped by the stealer. Asked about the dualsport and he was informed at the dealers meeting that it is slated for this fall. Now consider the source, but he was knew about it and had an informed response. He said all of the dealers were begging for a 450 dualsport, but that was not in the works. We can only hope.

1200?! For a DS?! Way, way to effin' big.
?????? You mean that we have to tell Beemer that the 1200GS will never sell?

I rode the big Strom in Germany 2(?) years before it was available here. I'd like to see this Yam1200 here and while we 'Mericans do keep getting screwed on not being able to buy some great bikes, I'm guessing that this one is more likely to happen. MamaYama can't keep ignoring the market loss to V-Stroms, 1200GS, and naked bikes.
I'm with 'nut on this; a 1200 DS is just too big. That's not to say that it won't sell, because I'm sure it will (though I doubt BMW is getting overly concered about it eating into their market share). This is America, and bigger is better after all... IMHO, the 660 Tenere would be the bike to have. Less weight but still plenty of power.

I'd like a 600 or 450 something that I could actually reach the ground on!

Us short folks would like to ride duallys too!

There's a guy on ADVrider... Jean-Luc-- was doing an Alaska to South America ride, has some of the coolest pics on his ride report I've ever seen...

but I cant' even get on a KTM or F800GS...no way can I ride a bike with a 34 or 45 in high seat... inseam is only 29-30, depending on my boots.

And I'm too damned old to jump up on the seat...!

Ok, it ain't the riding, but the stopping... even at say 425 lbs loaded...stopping on a muddy road with only one foot on the ground, I would pbly spend more time picking the bike up off the dirt than riding it... and I like to stop a lot to take pics...

And I don't need a foot of ground clearance... just something I can take on dirt roads...no testosterone to deal with here! <G>

An F650GS is about the only bike I've been able to find, but not really sure I want a BMW..... seems like a lot of $$$ for maintenance...

mary

Looks like the concept is displayed at the Tokyo Motor Show. 1200 cc parallel twin with 270 degree firing order. Shaft Drive, ABS, Traction Control. Aimed right at the R1200GS

The website to sign up for notices is

https://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/super-tenere

Of course it's being hosted by Yamaha Europe. Will probably never get here, but I'm gonna start bothering Cypress alot about this!

2009yamahasupertenereco.jpg

01JPG_700.jpg

Yamaha-Super-Tenere-2010.jpg

Yamaha-Super-Tenere-2010-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And, 20 months later, I still think a 1200cc DS is just too big. But then again, most BMW 1200GS bikes never see anything more treacherous than a groomed fire road... (Kind of like most people's 4-wheel drive trucks/SUVs.)

Looks like the concept is displayed at the Tokyo Motor Show. 1200 cc parallel twin with 270 degree firing order. Shaft Drive, ABS, Traction Control. Aimed right at the R1200GS

Cool. I'll be at the motor show next week.... will take some snaps.

Cool. I'll be at the motor show next week.... will take some snaps.
Colin, good work! See if you can discover how many pounds it weighs. As an owner of both a BMW R1100GS and a BMW F650GS Twin, I agree with SockMonkey that anything over 500 pounds is not a true dual sport; even though I have taken my big BMW on many treacherous roads down in Mexico. Light weight wins out against bulk in Baja California everytime.

But, as SM also notes, BMW is selling every R1200GS they can make and KTM is doing the same with the 990S Adventure!!!

Honda already beat Yammie with the Varadero, another Canadian only model in North America. I guess having list prices nearly 30% more than the USA has its perks.
SRT8, Canadians are very, very fortunate in their receiving the Honda Varadero! A good friend of mine Markus Hellrigl of Mieming, Austria owns a 1999 Varadero; the very first year. Markus is tour director for Edelweiss Bike Tours, one of owner Werner Wachter's longest running employees. He also is a test rider (former Yamaha Austria road racer!) for KTM Austria.

Markus rides BMW all day long when he is conducting tours and has unlimited access to whatever KTM produces, yet for his own Euros being spent: Honda Varadero is his Number One choice. No doubt, Canada will also get the Yamaha DS 1200!!!

Well, hot damn!! First Honda actually does reveal a new V4 1200cc VFR / Blackbird replacement as predicted. Now this?

Is MCN not just the baseless rumor mongers that we have all assumed they are all along? :rolleyes:

Well, hot damn!! First Honda actually does reveal a new V4 1200cc VFR / Blackbird replacement as predicted. Now this?

Is MCN not just the baseless rumor mongers that we have all assumed they are all along? :rolleyes:
Every once in a while a blind squirrel finds an acorn! <_<

Called Yamaha USA

(800) 962-7926

Just the Blaise Yes thanks for calling.

Not going to hold my breath, but hope that it does come to the US