1300AE Reliability?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, you're going to love the bike. I came from an 06 VStrom 1000. You'll be glad to know the FJR isn't even close to being so top heavy. The Vstrom 1000 was fast but my FJR is a rocket ship. The only issue I have found with the AE is you have to be patient on shifts. A normal shift is no problem and happens quick..... if casually accelerating, I don't even let off the throttle but I occasionally like to take off like a bat out of hell and if I'm not patient, there will be a lot of slipping on shifts.

Having said all that, this is a little concerning
Clicky

Something to keep an eye on, I'll probably check mine before SFO

Edit: Looks like it applies to both the A and AE models (Turbodave) so carry on with your decision!

Excellent link - somehow I missed the ground plug melting problem earlier this Spring. I've seen these black capped common-connection plugs here and there, but assumed they were for wiring connections in other Countries, or just harness test points. Might be a source of many electrical and running issues some have experienced. If Yamaha is replacing the harness under warranty, it's obviously worth checking if someone is having problems. Wonder what makes them melt? Maybe too much current for the ground wire or maybe poor common plug connections. Will have a look at mine.

Gary in Fairbanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Having said all that, this is a little concerning
Clicky

Something to keep an eye on, I'll probably check mine before SFO

Edit: Looks like it applies to both the A and AE models (Turbodave) so carry on with your decision!
I must have missed that thread. That is exactly what happened to mine in Utah 2 years ago. I managed to limp it back into Idaho before it died. U-Hauled it to Prosser where it spent the next six weeks waiting on parts. I was just outside the factory warrenty but the Y.E.S. picked up the tab and saved me from having to make a case to Yamaha to cover the repairs. I'm not a fan of extended warrenties but for the price you can buy the Y.E.S. and the cost of the electronics on this bike, to me it's a no-brainer. This is my 3rd FJR and I guess my 06 must have had the electronics all built on a Monday and everyone was massively hung over because my first 2 were absolutely bulletproof as is my AE, minus the electronics. Unfortunately I've had several electrical gremlins with this bike, none of which were anything to do with the AE system. Currently the kickstand switch is inop and I will be getting that addressed at Desert Powersports when I get the ignition switch recall done. (My ignition switch bailed out in Utah last year as well, what is it about me and utah? :D ) And for the record, other than coming straight off the battery, I have in no-way invaded any of the wiring on the bike. That said, I guess I just won the lottery in reverse with this FJR because based on my own previous experience and most everyone else I know with the FJR, the bike is a very solid and dependable machine. I will definately have another and if the AE is still offered I won't even need to think about it, I will have it again.

Congrats, you're going to love the bike. I came from an 06 VStrom 1000. You'll be glad to know the FJR isn't even close to being so top heavy. The Vstrom 1000 was fast but my FJR is a rocket ship. The only issue I have found with the AE is you have to be patient on shifts. A normal shift is no problem and happens quick..... if casually accelerating, I don't even let off the throttle but I occasionally like to take off like a bat out of hell and if I'm not patient, there will be a lot of slipping on shifts.
Hey big man,

Get in sync with your bike.

I have no slipping on upshifts, even on the race track (two times with my beloved AE)

At the exact moment you shift, even at WOT, close the throttle ever so slightly like a reverse blip, it will hit one to one instantly,, practice grasshopper

Hey big man,

Get in sync with your bike.

I have no slipping on upshifts, even on the race track (two times with my beloved AE)

At the exact moment you shift, even at WOT, close the throttle ever so slightly like a reverse blip, it will hit one to one instantly,, practice grasshopper
+1 No slip on slight blip. Instant engagement, HOLD ON!

Practice practice practice.

I've had mine now since October. Haven't gotten to ride as much as I'd hoped but am averaging 1k miles/month. Great bike and would definitely go AE again. One thing to watch for though (with any FJR) is that this puppy is sneaky fast. If you don't watch it you'll get an "award" from officer friendly.... My ol' Duc will MOVE and is probably at least as "fast" as the FJR, BUT on the Feejer ya don't "know" you're flying low 'till you look down at the speedometer and have an "Oh Sh.." moment. (On the Duc you KNOW you're moving :rolleyes:

I've had mine now since October. Haven't gotten to ride as much as I'd hoped but am averaging 1k miles/month. Great bike and would definitely go AE again. One thing to watch for though (with any FJR) is that this puppy is sneaky fast. If you don't watch it you'll get an "award" from officer friendly.... My ol' Duc will MOVE and is probably at least as "fast" as the FJR, BUT on the Feejer ya don't "know" you're flying low 'till you look down at the speedometer and have an "Oh Sh.." moment. (On the Duc you KNOW you're moving :rolleyes:
Very True!! It's smooth as silk until you look down and you're at 110mph. It's scary! Wonderful, but scary!! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the input.

Coasting brings up a question. I suppose I have always used clutch to cover up sloppy throttle control, which I won't be able to do. I often cut throttle, pull in the clutch and coast to a stop, clicking down however many gears into first,

(Sometimes engaging the lesser gears on the way down, sometimes not)

and braking. I suppose you have to slow down in a much different fashion on this bike. If your at 60mph in 5th gear coming to a stop sign, what's the routine?

If your at 60mph in 5th gear coming to a stop sign, what's the routine?
You just downshift when the rpm's get low. I use engine braking and a relatively long stretch before I stop (I don't hurry up and wait). in general about town driving, I seldom use my brakes except just before coming to a full stop. I'm still on my original brake pads after 62k.

Brodie

... If you're at 60mph in 5th gear coming to a stop sign, what's the routine?
Without wishing to criticise, I will. For safety's sake, always be in a gear where you can accelerate if you need to, whatever bike you have. In other words, change down as you slow down. Make it a habit. Then, when the unexpected occurs, both you and your bike are prepared.

Sorry for the lecture, I just want people to be safe.

...What say you that have the AE? It's been out a few years now, any issues or problems? Is this a bike you could put 60-70k miles on without more than normal maintenance?
My '06 only has 13600 miles, but many of them in the clutch friction zone due to a very slow trafficky commute. Absolutely no mechanical issues - except I decided to have my clutch plates oil soaked (a one-hour job with a 24 hour wait).

I have had an electrical gremlin associated with the YCC-S stuff, giving me an error code Sh__35, described here. Never finally resolved, but seems to have gone away (I have an official letter from Yamaha saying they will look sympathetically at a recurrence outside the warranty period, Yamaha do seem to support their customers). It never stopped the bike from working correctly.

I'd have another without even thinking about it. Mind you, I've not got much choice, an aged finger joint won't let me use a conventional clutch lever for more than a few pulls. For me, this bike is a god-send.
I can identify with the hand problem. I am 63 and have enough arthritis now that clutch work is getting to be a problem. That is why I have been looking at the FJR AE. I have been riding since 1968 and do not really want to face up to the possibility that age is going to sideline me.

I am guessing the engineers did not design the AE so that old farts could extend their riding life, but it looks like it might be the answer.

Coasting brings up a question. I suppose I have always used clutch to cover up sloppy throttle control, which I won't be able to do. I often cut throttle, pull in the clutch and coast to a stop, clicking down however many gears into first,

and braking. I suppose you have to slow down in a much different fashion on this bike. If your at 60mph in 5th gear coming to a stop sign, what's the routine?

I wouldn't worry about it Floridave. Just let off the throttle like normal and give the little button below the horn a push every now and then before the little gear indicator number flashes at you telling you that your sleeping and that its time to drop a gear. You can use the engine to brake or use your old brakes only method but once you discover how easy down shifting is with the AE I'm sure you will abandon your old lazy method of coming to a stop.

Once I got used to the finger - thumb shifter I won't be bothered moving my foot to shift. And yes you may honk the horn once or twice on a downshift before it is mastered. If you ride with your two smart aleck sons they may even think its pee their pant funny when dad honks his horn and cusses on the first ride while trying to look cool on his new bike.

Without wishing to criticise, I will. For safety's sake, always be in a gear where you can accelerate if you need to, whatever bike you have. In other words, change down as you slow down. Make it a habit. Then, when the unexpected occurs, both you and your bike are prepared.

This is No Lecture here MC,

It's just good common sense!!

I just shift down as I am breaking. The computer will not let the bike shift down at too high of a speed for the next lower gear.

I wouldn't worry about it Floridave. Just let off the throttle like normal and give the little button below the horn a push every now and then before the little gear indicator number flashes at you telling you that your sleeping and that its time to drop a gear. You can use the engine to brake or use your old brakes only method but once you discover how easy down shifting is with the AE I'm sure you will abandon your old lazy method of coming to a stop.

Once I got used to the finger - thumb shifter I won't be bothered moving my foot to shift. And yes you may honk the horn once or twice on a downshift before it is mastered. If you ride with your two smart aleck sons they may even think its pee their pant funny when dad honks his horn and cusses on the first ride while trying to look cool on his new bike.
More of a problem is not turning on your finger shift and trying to show off accelerating like hell and hitting the rev limiter because ya didn't shift to second when you hit your paddle.

Has anyone towed with an AE? Thinking about upgrading my 05 A to a Gen II AE and I am about to order a Piggyback for camping. Is the computer smart enough to deal with the extra weight?

Has anyone towed with an AE? Thinking about upgrading my 05 A to a Gen II AE and I am about to order a Piggyback for camping. Is the computer smart enough to deal with the extra weight?
No problem starting on a 1 in 4 (or 25% if you prefer) hill. Don't see any issue, unless your trailer weighs as much as the FJR, then you might have a problem on steep hill starts :eek: .

When I think about it, I have once done a 4th gear move from rest. A very gentle acceleration, but the system coped much better than I could ever have done with a manual clutch lever. I suspect you'll find it easier than a manual.

Just thought I'd update this thread. I picked up the AE and had a great ride home, 825 miles and what a great bike. The AE is AWESOME. I am just loving it, no issues or problems, I've done about 1500 miles on it at this point, in all types of conditions from night, rain, interstate, two lane, bumper to bumper traffic, being lost. It's just worked perfectly.

Mcatrophy, noticed your reply, point taken, I probably didn't describe what I actually do about very well. I have always stayed in an appropriate gear as I slow to a stop, clicking the gears down as I slow, your comments sound like you thought I stayed in 5th until stopped or almost stopped, and I agree, that's not wise.

In any event, the AE seems to be a super machine to me, thanks for all the advice and tips, both directly and indirectly via what I've researched here on my own. Wealth of knowledge here, that's for sure. :good:

Well, my 2006 FJR 1300 AE worked flawlessly for the first two years and has been a nightmare since last August. It has left me stranded several times and the last time I was 400 miles from home and had a nice tow bill!

The most intermittent problem has been the SHFT_26 problem. Yamaha keeps fixating on my McCruise but the problem happens even with the McCruise disconnected. My bike has been in 3 different dealers for a total of 4.5 months and Yamaha still doesn't seem to take the problem serious (or they just think it is funny to keep yanking my chain).

I honestly believe my problem is a bad grounding some where as the problem is very inconsistent. The problem I am having is that Yamaha doesn't want to look beyond the electrical accessories (McCruise, PIAA lights, GPS). They also have NOT reimbursed me for any of my towing bill or car rentals (even after my bike lost complete power because of the ignition switch failure).

When the AE works, you will love it.

Best Regards,

Shane