$19.99 Oil & Filter Change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
My local dealer has offered this deal the last few winter/springs and already again this year. They perform the service while you wait. They use a Yamaha filter and Honda motorcycle oil. It's a multi-brand dealer and they have standardized on Honda oil in their shop.

Do other shops offer these off-peak season deals?

Wow... I wish mine did. That's a great deal. I see no difference in commonly used products, services, or labor rates based around the riding season.

My local dealer has offered this deal the last few winter/springs and already again this year. They perform the service while you wait. They use a Yamaha filter and Honda motorcycle oil. It's a multi-brand dealer and they have standardized on Honda oil in their shop.

Do other shops offer these off-peak season deals?
The closest thing I've seen is shops offering a 'winter storage package' where they store your bike over the winter, and then in the spring they get it out, clean it, change the oil and you come pick it up.

That has to be a "loss leader". The dealer is taking a loss on the oil change in hopes you will sign up for some other needed maintenance. Its fair practice and a super deal that hopefully keeps you dealer's lights on while the snow is blowing in that part of the world..

No deals here, what's winter BTW?
That's when you see all those tourists around town and the top of the volcano turns white once in a while. Winter is when I visit my kids in Kailua-Kona to make up for all the money they borrow.

No deals here, what's winter BTW?
That's when you see all those tourists around town and the top of the volcano turns white once in a while. Winter is when I visit my kids in Kailua-Kona to make up for all the money they borrow.
Ah yes, Haoles :rolleyes: But then again without tourists where would we off load all these damn macadamia nuts?!?

The dealer I used to work for would run beginning of spring specials on oil and filter with a full inspection. So all in all out the door you paid about $25 for the oil and filter and about another $30 for the spring inspection.

That has to be a "loss leader". The dealer is taking a loss on the oil change in hopes you will sign up for some other needed maintenance..

That's funny...just what I was thinking. A benevolent Velvet Hammer approach.

...now for round 2

I dunno, I'd be kinda leery of "Honda" oil in an FJR. ;)
Can't be any worse than the diesel oil(Rotella), Honda parts (ST1300 heated grips), Suzuki parts (Vstrom handguards), Harley Davidson parts (highway pegs) and automotive parts (Audiovox cruise control) that I have installed on my FJR. :)

But at least I don't have a car tire installed! :p

Or...

Shell Rotella T 15W40 - $9 *

Supertech ST7317 $3 *

or Purolator PureOne PL14610 ~$5** (for the big spenders)

Not having any new scratches or stripped drain plugs, no charge.

Spending a little quality time with your bike, priceless.

FWIW, I'm not sure the bike shop is losing any money, even at that low price. I'm betting that they pay less for their oil and filters (wholesale)) than we do at Wally World.

* - retail prices at Walmart

* - retail price at Pep Boys or Advanced Auto

Just as an FYI since I was in the automotive service business for 22 yrs; anything under $30 for an oil and filter change on your average car is a net loss. Factor in all of the overhead costs (the technician total cost, the service writer, the cashier, the parts manager, service manager, building lease, etc, etc, etc) in addition to the product cost and it becomes readily apparent. Dealerships services are often more expensive than their independent counterparts because their overhead is significantly higher. It's not nearly as lucrative as it would appear at first glance;)